Find Wireless Printer Solved

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Find Wireless Printer Solved

Post by borgward »

I am at relatives house on vacation. I am connected to their wifi. How do I find their wireless Epson XP-400 printer connection?
I did Printers localhost > Clicked on Add I see:
Enter URI - Enter Device URI (How do I discover that since my sister does not know what that is?)

Network Printer - Host: (what address do I use, or is there a command to find it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Find Wireless Printer

Post by wallyUSA »

Try find network printer. Let it search or find it for you.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

What address do I enter in the blank? What are the usual addresses. At home I have an address taped to one of my printers, but I do not remember what that is.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

I think if you keep going it will find it automatically.

EDIT: After you click 'find network printer' click the 'find' on the right panel. You may have to do it more than once. Sorry I can not provide more info but I do not have access the computer tonight. Hope this helps.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

their wireless printer will have to have been connected to their home router first:
- this should already be done, so that they can print with WiFi connections.

what you have to do:
- connect to their home router - - you'll need to do this, just to get an Internet connection, anyway.
click on Add Printer in LinuxMint
- search for that Make & Model for that Printer .. . or find it in the given list.
it should find it & list it's URL as the hardware location for that printer.
and you should just be able to keep on clicking Next .. .. hopefully .. .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

OK, I see what the problem is. They got a new Verizon hotspot. I am connected to it as I reply to you. Their Mac did not like the New Verizon, so it is in the shop, so I can not follow your advice. I now understand why I did not see the usual list of printers to add. I' leaving in a day or so I will just put up w/the situation. Thanks.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

As a temp work-around if you have something you definitely need printed, save it as a (print) file, or pdf. Something that can be saved, attached to an email, send it to 'them' so they can print it for you. There may be options but this might help in a pinch!

borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

I remembered the address to put in the blank at Printers > New Printer - Enter URI. It is http://localhost:631/admin. That got me to "Choose a New Driver. Unfortunately there is no driver for the Epson XP-400.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

borgward wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:33 am I remembered the address to put in the blank at Printers > New Printer - Enter URI. It is http://localhost:631/admin. That got me to "Choose a New Driver. Unfortunately there is no driver for the Epson XP-400.
Can you find a generic driver or something similar like Epson XP-4xx? Once again, I think you are looking for a temp solution, right?

borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Not sure about Epson XP-4XX. Did you mean try a driver in the 4XX series to see if it works. I was looking for a temporary solution. Back home now, so not an issue.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”