Epson printer wf-2530 SOLVED!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
neilmacc1

Epson printer wf-2530 SOLVED!

Post by neilmacc1 »

I can't make it work on my computer. I downloaded a 64bit .deb file from this link...<http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 1d2515a5ff> but it doesn't seem to do anything. I tried searching 'epson' in the synaptic software thingy and downloaded everything that came up in the search, none of those seem to do anything either. It's a wifi printer but I don't know how to make it be connected so I bought a USB wire instead, still nothing.

I have ASUS K55 laptop and linux mint 17 64bit. I am not new to using linux but I am new to using mint pus I don't think I have ever managed to get this printer to work and I just don't 'get' how printers do their thing..... I was hoping it would just bing-bong when I plugged the usb in and automatically find the right drivers.

I have read a little on some other threads but they were just way too technical with words and abbreviations I don't understand (essentially meaningless nonsense to me). I looked at the 'add printer' bit from the mint menu but again its all just meaningless techie waffle to me so I am completely lost.

help please.
Last edited by neilmacc1 on Wed May 23, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Epson printer wf-2530

Post by pdc_2 »

so Neil, welcome to the Mint forums;

if you have 64bit Mint, you would have needed a 64bit deb package; epson-inkjet-printer-201211w_1.0.0-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

if you clicked to OPEN it as you started to download it, then gdebi installer, should have leapt in and offered to install the package for you; if you selected SAVE, it should be in your Downloads folder; and if you double-click on it there, it should install; and it will ask for your SUDO password;

how do you find the Downloads folder? Top left of the desktop should be an icon for Neil's Home or whatever you called it .. open that; and look for Downloads; open that .......

..bottom line is you need the driver installed; and we need to clarify if that happened first of all ...

(come July; when the new Mint 19 gets released; airprint compatibility should come to Mint; and that should auto-configure any WF-2500series printers)
neilmacc1

Post by neilmacc1 »

Hi, thank you for replying.

yup, I installed the 64bit driver package. I double checked to make sure and the pop up box states: would you like to "reinstall package" .

But I still cant 'add' a printer from the printers menu which suggests to me that the computer can't see it. ...

It never bothered me before I always just printed stuff at work. Ironically I have a new job offer and my new boss to be wants me to 'print out', 'fill in' and sign several forms that he emailed me, then scan and email them back. It's not a big deal really, I can put the files on a usb drive and take then to the local library instead... it just would have been nice to use my own printer.

I will however continue to try and work out why this printer doesn't seem to work for me, maybe I can get it running for the next time I need it.
what to try next?
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so this is a wireless connection? Is it connected to your router? Epson provide this video if needed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipGHuGlqKpA

if you open a terminal; (black tv screen on the bottom tool bar); copy this command

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
and paste it into the terminal: use the menu at the top of the terminal: go along to EDIT and down to PASTE ........

please copy the result you get; (again, use the menu on the top line ............)

To paste it back here, use the code button: 5 along on the top bar ....... click that and paste the results into the code button

........... we are looking for something that shows the Epson is on the wireless network;

________

copy this command; also paste it into the terminal: it is checking on the Epson driver

Code: Select all

dplg -l epson-inkjet*
again; if you copy the result and paste it back here please

(Sometimes one has to use a usb cable just to start the whole process off ............)
neilmacc1

Post by neilmacc1 »

Aye, the printer is supposed to be connected to the wifi but I just never bothered reconnecting it after we changed our router about 6 months ago.

The printer used to work wirelessly with my wife's old laptop and with my friends tablet but I never had it work with my laptop which was running Ubuntu at the time. My wife's old laptop is dead now so I figured what the heck, I will just buy a USB cable instead, and plug my laptop directly in to the printer.... maybe it doesn't work that way and it has to be connected with the wifi -cable or no.

ok here is the info from the first command:

neil@neil-K55A ~ $ lpinfo -v
network http
network ipp
network ipp14
network ipps
network https
network socket
network lpd
direct hp
network smb
direct hpfax

I went and had a good faff about with the printer and have now connected to the wifi and it seems to be showing up from the lpinfo command now:

network http
network lpd
network ipp
network ipps
network https
network socket
network ipp14
direct hp
network smb
direct hpfax

network dnssd://EPSON%20WF-2530%20Series._ipp._tcp.local/
network lpd://192.168.0.30:515/PASSTHRU

and here is the output from the other comand:

neil@neil-K55A ~ $ dplg -l epson-inkjet*
No command 'dplg' found, did you mean:
Command 'dlg' from package 'pccts' (universe)
Command 'dpkg' from package 'dpkg' (main)
dplg: command not found
neil@neil-K55A ~ $ dpkg -l epson-inkjet*
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii epson-inkjet-p 1.0.0-1lsb3. amd64 Epson WF-2010/WF-2510/WF-2520/WF-

I don't know what any of this means but I will reinstall the driver now that its on the wifi and see if I can add it now and report back.
neilmacc1

Post by neilmacc1 »

OK, I reinstalled the driver with the printer connected to wifi. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KvZgn ... AVutxvCZxi

I then tried to 'add printer' and this time the computer can see it, yay, but I do not know which option to choose to set it up?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T0R22 ... UWRWe6lnmN
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I had an Epsom printer. What I did was check the router to see what IP address was assigned. I set that to a static setting in the router. I then used the Add Printer and manually set it to the same IP address the printer was on. No problem after that.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
neilmacc1

Post by neilmacc1 »

ok, I think I have it now I think in theory it will work, the key was connecting the wifi rather than use the USB cable..... of course the effing thing wants blooming ink now lol! <Groan>.

can you still buy old school laser printers? much much less hassle :roll: .

Thank you to all you people who answered. I appreciate your helpful suggestions 8)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

well done Neil;

as you own the thread, you can go back to the SUBJECT line of your first post; and add SOLVED to show your success
neilmacc1

Post by neilmacc1 »

pdc_2 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:14 pm well done Neil;

as you own the thread, you can go back to the SUBJECT line of your first post; and add SOLVED to show your success
I have no idea how to effect this manoeuvre at present -I tried for about 15 minutes and gave up. There appears to be no option to add a 'SOLVED' tag, or whatever, to the post... not that I can find at any rate.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I hate it when it is as frustrating as that; grrrrrrrrrrrrr

if you go to the top of this thread; to the first post you made; if you click the EDIT button; the most left of the four buttons at the right hand side of the screen; (but to the left of your name ........)

Found it? Click on that and it opens your first post; Is it opening?

Go to the SUBJECT bar at the top ........ you could call it the TITLE bar as well ....

If you just type SOLVED in there; in capitals; and SUBMIT the edit back to the forums by clicking the Submit button; the most right of the three below; does that work?
neilmacc1

Post by neilmacc1 »

pdc_2 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:43 pm I hate it when it is as frustrating as that; grrrrrrrrrrrrr

if you go to the top of this thread; to the first post you made; if you click the EDIT button; the most left of the four buttons at the right hand side of the screen; (but to the left of your name ........)

Found it? Click on that and it opens your first post; Is it opening?

Go to the SUBJECT bar at the top ........ you could call it the TITLE bar as well ....

If you just type SOLVED in there; in capitals; and SUBMIT the edit back to the forums by clicking the Submit button; the most right of the three below; does that work?
thanks. Its easy when you know how. 8)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”