[Solved] Cinnamon 18.3 and Epson XP-434 not connecting

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
b_hayles

[Solved] Cinnamon 18.3 and Epson XP-434 not connecting

Post by b_hayles »

TOTALLY green newbie...be gentle AND please speak un-geek English...LOL.

Installed Cinnamon 18.3 yesterday and have managed to get it doing most of what I need, but not everything. I cannot get my Epson XP-434 to work. I choose Administration >>Printers and get a bod "Printers - localhost" and my printer shows up there. Clicking on the icon sends me to a settings box where the make and Model is listed in description. URI >> Browse has me select device. I select Network Printer >> Elson XP-434 and under connections select "IPP network printer via DNS_SD. Click "Apply" and I'm back to the printer settings. For Make and Modep I can choose Epson but my printer, the XP - 434, is not in the dropdown list. I choose "generic" (which is bad...text only) but the test page is blank.

HELP.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Epson XP-434 likely needs Epson drivers installed

Post by pdc_2 »

so if I wanted to get an XP-430 series printer working on Mint, I would go here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... e43b62db49 to get the driver; for a 64bit Mint, I would download epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.20-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

if you click to OPEN it as you start to download it, then gdebi installer, should leap in and offered to install the package for you; if you select SAVE, it should end up in your Downloads folder; and if you double-click on it there, it should install; and it will ask for your SUDO password;

how do you find the Downloads folder? Top left of the desktop should be an icon for Neil's Home or whatever you called it .. open that; and look for Downloads; open that .......

..bottom line is you need the driver installed; and that is likely to trigger Mint to configure a new icon for the printer; and to find that icon look in the PRINTERS folder; (usually inside ADMINISTRATION folder): however if you already one there; and it doesn't work; just right-click to delete it; before downloading the above Epson driver

(come July; when the new Mint 19 gets released; airprint compatibility should come to Mint; and that should auto-configure any XP-430 printers)
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Cinnamon 18.3 and Epson XP-434 not connecting

Post by JerryF »

b_hayles,

I recently had an Epson XP-640 and understand what you're going through. Follow pdc_2's advice about the driver. After that gets installed, you'll find your Epson XP-434 (or maybe XP-430 series). You can select that. Afterwards, you should be able to print.

I had a hard time getting my XP-640 with regards to scanning. If that happens, let us know. I might be able to help.

Just as a side comment: Epson has way too many models of the XP small-in-one. Epson should make fewer models and use that time to concentrate on supporting Linux.
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

That page now just shows a list of delivers that is not clickable, and the word "Download" that I assume used to be a clickable link is nor just text, not clickable. Is there another place to download that driver? I've already tried the Epson site and DuckDuckGo-ing the driver name...no luck.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

On that page at the bottom, click on Accept button. Then the drivers will show with Download buttons.
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

Got it. I'll look better next time.

OK...remember...TOTAL newbie here. From that page this:

[Notice]
In order to install these drivers, you need to install LSB package (version 3.2 or later) beforehand.

Ubuntu:
# apt-get install lsb

Fedora:
# yum install lsb

OpenSUSE:
# yast --install lsb

I guess if I need it I type the line under Ubuntu at the prompt in the command panel...But how do I know if I already have the LSB package?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

b_hayles wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:07 pm Got it. I'll look better next time.

OK...remember...TOTAL newbie here. From that page this:

[Notice]
In order to install these drivers, you need to install LSB package (version 3.2 or later) beforehand.

Ubuntu:
# apt-get install lsb

Fedora:
# yum install lsb

OpenSUSE:
# yast --install lsb

I guess if I need it I type the line under Ubuntu at the prompt in the command panel...But how do I know if I already have the LSB package?
Yes, follow the Ubuntu example. Tip: Mint is based on Ubuntu.

Open a Terminal window (like the command prompt in Windows) and type this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lsb
When you press enter, it will as for a password. Type in YOUR password for your user account and press enter. When you are typing, it won't show any placemarkers, spaces, etc. as you type. Don't panic. That's normal.

The system may say that you already have it installed. That's good. If it needs to be installed, follow the instructions given in the Terminal windows.

The reason for the word sudo in the command is that when you open a Terminal, you are not the root user. The above examples for Ubuntu, Fedora, and OpenSUSE are assuming that you're running as root user (the # at the Terminal prompt means that you would be root).

P.S. I know it can be intimidating, but stick with it and in no time, you'll be whizzing along in Mint!
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

Done. And then I do the same with:

# apt-get install lsb

Correct?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

If you already executed the command I posted sudo apt-get install lsb, then no, you won't need apt-get install lsb

The sudo apt-get install lsb command is the same command as apt-get install lsb but has elevated privileges to perform the command.

sudo is short for super user do which gives you temporary permission to run commands with root privileges.

Just to show you why you need the sudo in Mint for some commands, try the

apt-get install lsb
in a Terminal window. You'll get this warning:

apt-get install lsb
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Tip: try not to get to hung up in learning Terminal just yet. This was only necessary because you're trying to install an outside driver for the Epson.

Most of us don't use Terminal that much. Once everything was working and in place, I hardly use Terminal.

So, if lsb is installed, then continue with the installation of the Epson driver (the epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.20-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb file that you downloaded). Double-click on that .deb file and that will start Package Installer.

Let us know what happens.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

lsb is usually already installed on Mint; (for example, I enclose our listings in Synaptic):

one just needs to head for the 64bit Debian package and ignore the lsb section
lsb.png
(when you get the printer going, open Synaptic and have a look at it; it allows you to install programmes by clicking; and means the system looks after you to ensure any necessary extras are found and installed;)
b_hayles

Post by b_hayles »

Worked...thanks!

I say it worked...it printed a test page. Now to see if it will print a mailing label, my main use of the printer.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”