[SOLVED] 1 printer, 2 Mint PCs: only 1 can print

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Philip H Jones

[SOLVED] 1 printer, 2 Mint PCs: only 1 can print

Post by Philip H Jones »

I have the following two machines, both of which have fresh installs of Mint 18.3 from the same image file:

Acer Laptop: "inxi" yields

CPU~Dual core Intel Pentium B940 (-MCP-) speed/max~1878/2000 MHz
Kernel~4.13.0-43-generic x86_64 Up~1 min
Mem~519.8/3798.3MB
HDD~500.1GB(2.9% used)
Procs~180
Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35

Acer Desktop: "inxi" yields

CPU~Quad core Intel Core i5-2320 (-MCP-) speed/max~1602/3300 MHz Kernel~4.13.0-43-generic x86_64 Up~12 min
Mem~2256.5/7881.5MB
HDD~3500.7GB(13.1% used)
Procs~197
Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35

Printer: Epson NX625

The laptop allowed me to install the printer, which it saw immediately when I went to add it. Print Manager found the driver on its own; I don't recall having to do anything but pick from a list
The desktop also sees the printer as a network printer, finds its Host IP address and its Queue, offers a connection, but when I click "Forward" to let it find the driver, it hangs and never locates or installs anything.

Searches on Epson's site and general third-party sites don't turn up anything I'm able to install.

Questions:
  • why can the laptop take care of this and the desktop not?
  • what can I do about it?

I could of course hand off files to be printed from the desktop to the laptop, but that's cumbersome and not possible at all if the laptop is unavailable.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: 1 printer, 2 Mint PCs: only 1 can print

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi Philip; welcome to the Mint forums;

If I search the Epson site for
stylus nx
I can find a generic driver listed that covers the nx620 and nx635, so I wonder if we will be lucky and find it works for your nx625;

If you go here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... e43b62db49 and click the ACCEPT at the bottom of the page, you can select epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.20-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb and if you select OPEN as you start to download it, hopefully gdebi installer will leap in; and offer to install; if instead you SAVE it on download, you should find it in the Downloads folder and double-click to get it installed; that should set up a printer registration;

I am assuming it would get installed on the Desktop computer

If you go PRINTERS folder; on the laptop that you say works; right-click on the icon for the EPson; look in MAKE & MODEL; what does it say there? Seems the default drivers on the Mint system list some NX variants; but not the 625
Philip H Jones

Post by Philip H Jones »

A very interesting result: I clicked, I accepted, I downloaded, I installed the driver as you specified. Along the way I didn't recognize any of the pages I stopped at; they weren't any I'd seen in previous searches for a driver. The very last message I saw after the debi installer did its thing was, "Same driver already installed" (or words to that effect). I still had to install the printer, and once again the desktop's Printer Manager saw the Epson printer as a network printer. I was able to print a test page, and then to print a two-page LibreOffice document. What I was unable to do, which I had been able to do before I had to re-install Mint on this machine, was to print two-sided: this driver doesn't seem to offer that as an option. (And no, I don't remember where I got the driver that worked back before the re-install.)

When I look at the laptop's Printer Properties for this printer, it appears as an Epson Stylus NX630. I open a multi-page document, send a Print command, and in the Print dialog I'm offered the two-sided printing option. In Printer Properties/Settings I see as Make and Model: Epson Stylus NX630 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.11. Still puzzled as to why the same ISO image managed to produce such different results on two admittedly different machines by the same manufacturer.

But no matter; now at least both devices speak to the same printer, even if in slightly different accents. Thanks very much for your help.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Gutenprint and Epson's drivers

Post by pdc_2 »

thanks Philip;

so the portal to the Epson linux drivers is here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX and it is where I start: "Stylus NX" gave me the link to the generic driver

so with linux, you can read the source code of all the files that are open-source; so to run the machines that connect to a linux computer; folks have written "drivers" to talk to as many machines as possible;

so the Gutenprint project; http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/ has aimed to make drivers available for printers; so if one joins a printer to a linux computer, the instinct of the operating system is to look in its own list of possible printers; and be very helpful; and configure it for you ........ hence one computer has a gutenprint reference; the other must be using the driver file from Epson

for those that appreciate quality; and want the best, try Turboprint http://www.turboprint.info/printer_Epso ... NX625.html they have been offering drivers for many years: they started in the days of the Commodore Amiga; you can evaluate a free copy and they ask for a fee after a month; once folks have used turboprint, they don't seem to go back to ordinary drivers.
Philip H Jones

Post by Philip H Jones »

Thanks for the tip about TurboPrint. It certainly does what the description says it will, and while I don't do a lot of photo printing, its promise to do a better job with that task is appealing. What gives me pause about shelling out 29 euros (I think) for a printer driver on steroids is that I fear my Epson NX625 is nearing the end of its smooth-running phase and is starting to develop unpleasant quirks. As much as I hate the idea of scrapping a printer (because it has no user-serviceable parts inside), I'm reluctant to commit to a printer driver that I bought to drive a particular printer that I no longer have. I don't want to be limited to my next printer being from the list that this particular driver is designed for. Or do I perhaps misunderstand how limited a given version of Turboprint really is?

Philip
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Turboprint supported printers

Post by pdc_2 »

so Turboprint will support all the devices listed here: http://www.turboprint.info/printers.html so really all the inkjet printers sold these days for Epson, Canon and Brother;

the page I gave the link for was just detailed what it would offer for the NX625 but for Epson alone you can see big coverage http://www.turboprint.info/printers_Epson.html

Return to “Printers & Scanners”