(solved) Canon MB2050

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MartineM

(solved) Canon MB2050

Post by MartineM »

I can not get the scanner of my Canon wifi printer/scanner to work, printer is working fine though.
I installed scangearmp2-3.40-1-deb with success (I mean nor errors) but still no scanner detected.

Can someone help me with this please.

System: Host: martine-Aspire-E5-731 Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64
bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.4 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Edit: I began topic with Mint 18.3, original canon drivers are installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ozo

Re: Canon MB2050

Post by Ozo »

Simple Scan is installed so you will find it on the menu. Type Simple Scan and launch it. It should recognize your printer/scanner. It is very easy to use.

That does not fix the problem but should enable scanning.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

I tried that first but simple scan doesn't detect a scanner.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Is it a usb or wireless connection?
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

wireless, maybe I have to connect through USB first?
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

I just tried with USB and that works fine, problem is that I need it through WIFI
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

MartineM wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:35 pm I just tried with USB and that works fine, problem is that I need it through WIFI
If you have more than one version of the printer in Printers it can sometimes cause problems. Remove the earlier versions.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Ozo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm
MartineM wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:35 pm I just tried with USB and that works fine, problem is that I need it through WIFI
If you have more than one version of the printer in Printers it can sometimes cause problems. Remove the earlier versions.
I first had one printer (works fine for printing with wifi) and after connecting with USB I have 2 listed but the second one is now unplugged sso if I remove the first "standard" printer I can not print through wifi any more either.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Time for the printer guru to step up to give some advise.

Though ill advised, I generally resort to a full reset when stymied or simply impatient. Mint 19 did that for me as everything just works now. I have not been able to get the wireless connection to my HP Laserjet. I just did that successfully in Mint 19 (beta).
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Ozo wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:56 pm Time for the printer guru to step up to give some advise.

Though ill advised, I generally resort to a full reset when stymied or simply impatient. Mint 19 did that for me as everything just works now. I have not been able to get the wireless connection to my HP Laserjet. I just did that successfully in Mint 19 (beta).
Well I had mint 17.4 and just installed 18.3 yesterday and then I saw there was a 19 already. This and another problem I have gives me an excuus tot start over and try version 19 I geuss. 😀
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

You must enter the printer interface via the LCD screen on the printer and setup the WiFi settings so the printer communicates with the router, first.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Wifi is setup correctly as the printer works but not the scanner of the same device with linux.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

what does

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
give in a terminal please?
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

I installed Linux mint 19 today and now I can not even get the printer working. :mrgreen:
I tried to add network printer but I get a error while installing the drivers for IPP network printer via dns-SD.
When I get the window "describe printer" and take apply I get this error.
"CUPS server error. There was a error during the CuPS operation. 'Server-error-internal-error'."

"System: Host: martine-Aspire-E5-731 Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64
bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.4 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara"

pdc_2 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm what does

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
give in a terminal please?
martine@martine-Aspire-E5-731:~$ lpinfo -v
network beh
file cups-brf:/
network lpd
network ipp
network ipps
network socket
network https
direct hp
network http
direct hpfax
network dnssd://Canon%20MB2000%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=00000000-0000-1000-8000-F80D602FB065
network ipp://canon.local:631/ipp/print
martine@martine-Aspire-E5-731:~$
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Temporarily turn off Firewall. See if that helps.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

JerryF wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 am Temporarily turn off Firewall. See if that helps.
Turned firewall off and now the printer is in the printer window even simple scan recognize the scanner now but...
when I try to scan I hear the machine start but then i get a message "problem communicating with scanner"

I tried to print a page but that is on hold until printer is ready.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Does it work with USB now?
Last edited by Ozo on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

I just tried it with USB, printer works fine but still "problem communicating with scanner" but the scanner is recognized.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Did you download the scanner drivers from canon?
https://www.canon-europe.com/support/co ... 20(64-bit)
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Yes I installed the printer driver and scangear when it was connected with usb kabel.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”