[Solved] Canon Pixma ip4500 problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Canon Pixma ip4500 problem

Post by Mazda81 »

I am running Linux Mint 18.3 xfce 64-bit and am trying to get my Canon Pixma IP4500 printer set up. If I try to print a document the printer is not listed and when I try to open the Printer application nothing happens.
I have been to the Canon website to look for a driver but it says that this printer is no longer supported for Linux.

I have an old version of Windows Vista that works fine with this printer so I can use that.

Has anyone managed to get this printer working in Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Canon Pixma ip4500 problem

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please see
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/18
Also visit other topics in the web site.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks for the reply. I followed the instruction on that website but it assumes that you can download a driver from Canon which I wasn’t able to do. I have another machine running 18.3 Cinnamon and the Printer application does open in that so I’ll try to install using Cinnamon.
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

I connected my 18.3 Cinnamon machine to the printer and it recognised it immediately and I was able to print a document successfully. The problem seems to be related to xfce as the printer application wouldn't open with that machine. I will try to reinstall Printer in xfce and see if that makes any difference.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon Pixma ip4500 works fine

Post by pdc_2 »

pleased to hear the printer is working; likely the Gutenprint driver is being used
I have been to the Canon website to look for a driver but it says that this printer is no longer supported for Linux.
well, I wonder where you looked; if I go to the Canon Asia website; http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 83601.html I find a Debian package for the ip4500; it would come down as cnijfilter-ip4500series_2.80-1_i386.deb it is traditional of course to harrumph about lack of support; but Canon also supply an rpm package and the source code for this printer;

The driver was issued 7th Dec 2007 so that could be a 10yr old printer; so well done to Canon to make a machine that still works well after 10yrs; and well done to you for looking after the printer

(The Canon Asia website http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/?personal is I think based in Singapore; like everything else in Singapore, it seems to work very well!)

______

oh by the way, as things seemed SOLVED; if you edit the title of your first post and add SOLVED: others can find it; best wishes that the printer keeps going well for you
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mazda81 »

Thanks pdc_2
Unfortunately the driver you found is for 32-bit systems I need the 64-bit version. I tried to search the Canon Asia site but found myself going round in circles and getting nowhere! Canon Europe reports no driver available for Linux [See Attached image].
Mazda81
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] Canon Pixma ip4500 problem

Post by Mazda81 »

I have marked this topic as solved as the printer does work with 2 of my 3 Linux machines. It would appear that Canon drivers for this printer are only available for 32-bit systems so I will use the machines that do work when I need to print.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”