Mint 19 does not properly configure Brother printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Mint 19 does not properly configure Brother printer

Post by wpshooter »

Linux Mint 18.3 configures my Brother model DCP-L2540DW printer just fine by simply plugging the
printer into the USB port - Linux Mint 19 does NOT ???

Any ideas as to why ?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 19 does not properly configure Brother printer

Post by DarrenG »

I have a similar problem with the HL-1210W. The default foomatic driver with mint 17&18 was horrible and put black squares under all the descenders, but I was always able to work around it by downloading the official drivers from brother. Now I have updated to mint 19 my printer wont print at all. installing the brother drivers doesn't work. I tried the brother Driver Install Tool as recommended at https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15 but that didn't work either. However reading further down that page I spied this:
In 64-bit Linux Mint 19 the location for the supporting library files has changed, and the driver for the scanner feature doesn't always take that into account. The Brother driver then puts them in /usr/lib64, whereas your operating system expects them in /usr/lib.
There is information on that page on how to fix this so thats my next step and it may help you as well.
Pjotr, your pages have been incredibly helpful to me over the years, fingers crossed they can sort this out for me as well!
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
DarrenG
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DarrenG »

Ah Pjotr, God bless you! I did run the driver tool, but I did so using the instructions on the brother site. On re-reading your page I noticed the line
Note: don't use the installation how-to on the Brother website, but use the installation how-to on my website instead (see below)!
So I re-did it your way and now my printer works fine again! :D
“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
angelosbg

Post by angelosbg »

Hi,

It seems I am having similar issues. I can print though but when I try to scan it says check network connection.

I followed the instructions of the link but received the exact same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Return to “Printers & Scanners”