EPSON L4150 installation [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Maninmanaus

EPSON L4150 installation [SOLVED]

Post by Maninmanaus »

Hi. I'm a Linux newbie. Started using it a month ago and have been pleasantly surprised... until I bought an Epson L4150 printer yesterday and installed it for our 4 computers and wifi network at home. With the windows computers it was a breeze.. five minutes each one. Installing it for our mobile phones? A doddle. For our iPad, no problem. Then I got to our lovely shiny new linux machine, and, well, 24 hours later and I´m almost ready to ditch linux and install windows. However, on the basis that I really know nothing (yet) about linux, I will struggle on - hopefully with a little help from the forum!

So, let's see if I can remember how I spent yesterday.... I went to the Epson site and found the Linux drivers. I installed the amd64 one (I don't understand why it is labelled amd (first I installed the i386 one and wasted an hour or so wondering what 'failed dependencies' were), and followed the instructions until I got the package installed OK. Thinking this was the solution to the problem, I then went to try to print and was faced with installing a driver by selecting a printer from a long list supplied, I presume, by Mint(?). I selected Epson, and scrolled down the list... and scrolled... and scrolled to the bottom. The L4150 is not listed anywhere.

I tried the (recommended) option to install a generic printer - nothing. I tried searching for the driver (isn't that what the package I downloaded was supposed to give me?!), I tried looking for a ppd file... I tried everything I could think of, and finally opted for the nearest in the list to the L4150, which I thought might be the Epson L1800. It doesn't work - it just spews sheets of paper through the printer (although at least it proves there is a connection). So now what? What am I doing wrong? How come the package I downloaded from Epson installs correctly (seemingly) but doesn't give me the driver for my printer?

Any help much appreciated. (Oh, and a recommendation for a an easy introductory book on Linux would be welcome too).
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: EPSON L4150 installation

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Hello Maninmanaus and Welcome.

If you are using a 64 bit system then you need the 64 bit drivers - 32 bit drivers will not work. If you have installed the 32 bit driver, remove it.
The 64 bit driver is called amd64 because AMD pioneered the development of the 64 bit system.

The drivers you need to run your L4150 device are available from this location:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX

Type L1450 into the search field and click on the magnifying lens. Accept the listing at the bottom and the next screen will give you the option as to which file to download. Linux Mint uses the "deb" format so, if you need the 64 bit driver, download
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.22-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
To install this driver double click on it.

Follow the same method with the next file from the Epson site.
For the scanner driver, the same method again but from the Package Download Page for Linux Mint. The downloaded bundle contains installation instructions.
Epson have not as yet published the scanner driver for Linux Mint 19 but the driver for Linux Mint 18 will work with some limitation - the generic Simple Scan will work but the Epson Image Scan for Linux if used via a wi-fi connection will not. This has not been tested with a USB connection.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Maninmanaus

Post by Maninmanaus »

Thanks Kyphi - great feeback.

I think I did this, except that I only downloaded ONE file from Epson (thinking it was a choice), rather than downloading all three.
I will try to go through your instructions step by step in the next few hours and report back.

Thanks Deepakdeshp - I've now signed up for the free Linux introductory course at edx.org,and downloaded a Linux command line guide and a Mint guide, so hopefully I'll understand things a little better after a few weeks.

Cheers.
Maninmanaus

Post by Maninmanaus »

Kyphi - Feedback

1. I went to the page http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... archModule
2. Downloaded and successfully installed Epson inkjet printer escpr and Epson printer utility, with no error messages.
3. I then clicked on the Scanner Driver download button and followed the instructions to the Epson Package Download Page and downloaded the Linux Mint 18(LTS) 64 bit(amd 64) file (imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-18-1.3.32.x64.deb.tar.g) to my Downloads folder.

I read the README.rst and followed the instructions given:

Change to the folder where you downloaded the scanner driver bundle,
extract it and install all components with
::
tar xaf imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-18-1.3.32.x64.deb.tar.gz
cd imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-18-1.3.32.x64.deb
./install.sh
in a terminal window
This completed with no apparent errors.

To check the installation of my printer, I then navigated to System Settings > Hardware > Printers, where Epson L4150 Series was correctly displayed.

Double clicking on the printer icon, it now displays
Screendump L4150.png
I printed a test page and a page from document file and it works perfectly. I haven't tried the scanning functionality - enough excitement for one day :)

Many many thanks to you for this, and I hope my efforts to document the process may be helpful to another newbie in the future.

I've decided to keep Linux after all! :lol:
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

That is good news, Maninmanaus.

Please note that scanning, using either XSane or Simple Scan, works with either a Wi-Fi or USB connection but the "Epson Image Scan for Linux" does not. It is still "a work in progress".

Enjoy your Linux - I certainly do.

Addendum: Epson Image Scan for Linux now works after a fix posted by pcd_2
sudo ln -sfr /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
ksnair

Re: EPSON L4150 installation [SOLVED]

Post by ksnair »

Thanks very much @kyphi for the last command:
sudo ln -sfr /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane

This worked perfectly for me. Using Linux Mint 19 and an Epson M200 printer / scanner on the network.

Also installed sane and sane-utils before running the debian files that come from the Epson support page in a package called iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz. This bundle gets extracted into a directory that contains an install.sh file.

Cheers and THANKS! :D

Return to “Printers & Scanners”