installing epson printer WF-2750

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
XXoldCrow
Level 1
Level 1

installing epson printer WF-2750

Post by XXoldCrow »

I am trying to replace windows with Linux Cinnamon Mint 18.3 and so far I have been able to get what I needed to do. But have run into a roadblock with my printer installation. I am using it wireless printing from several devices. I first downloaded the Linux drivers from Epson onto a flash drive. I also printed out their installing the software. The instruction for LSB3.2 said it could be installed using package manager. I could not figure out how to use it. I had the flash drive in one of the USB inputs.
Then I use Firefox and downloaded the drivers from Epson into Linux directly. I received the message: To install drivers- you need to install LSB before hand.I tried to install the Ubuntu:# 'apt-get install lsb'. then got the line {sudo} password for jim: and I entered my password. Then there were different files to use from Epson. Some wouldn't even run but I used: epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1lsb3.2_i386.deb It started to run, then stopped with the error message:
gdebi-gtk
Broken dependencies. This action can not continue until this is fixed. To fix it run 'sudo-apt-get install-f' in a term in a terminal window.
I may have a problem here. Is the command line and the terminal window the same? From the command line I typed 'apt-get install lsb and got the following:
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
The command line again with a flashing box after it. I tried to enter my password, but could type any thing.
I need my printer. What are the steps to take in order to get this installed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: installing epson printer WF-2750

Post by pdc_2 »

gosh; sorry to hear of all your troubles;

the Epson folks often say to install lsb

however Mint always has it installed; it makes a real pickle for folks; so I would say ignore the lsb and see if one can get the driver installed .............

(another thing: to get a printer working; you need to do at least two things: 1) install the drivers and then 2) register the printer with lpadmin; ....... the admin for linux printing ..)

Canon and Brother offer install scripts: so that does both bits; Epson just gives the drivers; but the hope is when the drivers are installed, it jolts Mint to be alerted and create a new entry; that should use the drivers just installed; one hopes;

I always suggest that folks just go ahead and install the Epson drivers; so if I just go over what I do: sounds like you have done the same .. I start here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX .. the portal for linux drivers for Epson .. then tap in WF-2750 and end up here http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... ff1f3ac470

scroll down; click the ACCEPT button; and for 64bit Mint click to download epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.22-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb (as you can see, that driver powers a gazillion of Epson devices ...)

when you click to download, you can either SAVE it and it ends up in your Downloads folder; or if you select OPEN, that prompts gdebi installer, to see you are downloading a debian package; and open to it means INSTALL; so it should offer to install for you, but it will for security ask for your SUDO password; after an install, one hopes that bumps Mint to create a new entry for the Epson; if you go to the PRINTERS folder then, there should be an entry:

to check it is good; right-click on the icon; look for the MAKE & MODEL line; it should say epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.22-1lsb3.2 or something very similar:

my apologies for maybe going over what you may have already done; but it gets assumptions out of the way;

(we would like linux to welcome newcomers and be easy; sometimes one does need to lift the bonnet and screw the odd spark plug down more firmly!)
XXoldCrow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XXoldCrow »

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to your step by step instructions for installing the drivers for my Epson Printer which I have followed. But I am still having problems. When I get to the step of clicking on "epson-printer-utility_1.0.2-1isb 3.2_amd64.deb", then the window opens I have marked the radio button to "open with GDebi Package Installer (default)" then clicked to run. It dosen't run and I get the error message: gdebi-gtk X Broken dependencies. This application can not continue until this is fixed. to fix it run 'gksudo synapic' or 'sudo-apt-get install -f' in a terminal window. I tried to type both (one at a time) in the Fire Fox URL window but the answers shown didn't seem to tell me what to do to install and use.so then I tried typing them (one at a time) on to the end of my command line and all that happens is my command shows again in a new line. I have looked for help on this forum. and from the help suggestions on the windows that opened when I entered the names in the URL on Fire Fox but couldn't find an answer to getting around the error message when I try to run the install package. Can you tell me the way to get past this error and install the Epson driver.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

sorry to hear of continuing problems; so it looks from googling on your error message that there is a new bug in gdebi that is causing the problem you experience; so let's try a different tack ..

if you open a terminal; (hold down the control and alt and t keys all at once ......... sort of like a chord on a piano!!) ..... and the terminal should appear ..

then where the text prompt is in the terminal; right-click there; do you see a menu appear .. do you see PASTE there? .. if so, then that is how you can paste into the terminal ..

so if you now copy the commands below; line by line; paste each line sequentially into the terminal; hit the ENTER key after each paste .. and let's see how it goes .. (I am assuming the epson driver is in the Downloads folder ..)

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.22-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
and that last command should start the install; it will ask for your sudo password; let's see if that goes well, and if you can find a new entry in your PRINTERS folder for your Epson;
XXoldCrow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XXoldCrow »

I am getting much closer, but not there yet. I do ctrl+alt+t and it opens." jim@jim-Inspiron-580s ~ $" with the text prompt blinking. I right click on terminal on the menu bar and paste the first command and enter, then paste the next command and enter, and then then I have the line "{sudo} password for jim:" and the flashing text box. BUT I can not type anything. I have tried everything I can think of but nothing will appear in the flashing text box. I have only set one password to start the program on power up, and it has worked on the few changes I have made when I have been asked for it. And yes the Epson driver is in my download folder.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

When you are prompted for a password in the terminal and you start typing you password, you will not receive ANY feedback. Just type the password and press the enter key. Things should, then, start moving for you.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so Jim just do as srq says: enter the password and hit the ENTER key to make things happen; then sit back and watch as the package gets installed;

then start bottom left at the MENU sign; go up to ADMINISTRATION and then find PRINTERS: click to open that

do you see an icon for the EPSON? If so, right-click; look in the MAKE & MODEL line; drag the window to the right, so you can read all the writing ..

If it says something like
epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.22-1lsb3.2
then the driver you installed; has been converted successfully;

please let us know when you get to this stage;

<<<<<<<<
If I say again, to get a printer to work, you need to do at least 2 things:
1) install the basic drivers
2) tell the system to use what is in those drivers; and match them to a printer you tell it to match it to .. it is then registered;

.. sort of like getting a driving licence; then taking it to some other office; so they accept you are genuine; and then giving you a printing certificate so you can print ..

so by installing the drivers, you are doing part 1 ..... Mint is set up as a kindly auntie that should jump in and do part 2) for you; .. often times it does .. sometimes it doesn't ....... so we are getting you to go to the PRINTERS folder to see if Auntie has done part 2) for you
XXoldCrow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XXoldCrow »

Thank you for staying with me. I have installed my printer and printed a test page.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

XXoldCrow wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:10 am Thank you for staying with me. I have installed my printer and printed a test page.
So, "Inquiring Minds Want To Know!" - did the test page look right? Did other printed pages come out right?

If so, please edit the subject of your first post and mark is "<SOLVED>"

If not, how can we further help?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”