HP DeskJet 2655

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: HP DeskJet 2655

Post by smurphos »

Is the printer listed more than once in the print dialogue for selection? If so try both listings. I've got a HP Deskjet 2544 listing (managed by HPLIP) and a Deskjet 2544 listing which I think is set up by CUPS. The printer is networked not directly attached to the machine. The latter entry is quicker to get the print job to the printer and I've not noticed any alignment issues - but i don't print that much.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

smurphos wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:08 am Is the printer listed more than once in the print dialogue for selection? If so try both listings. I've got a HP Deskjet 2544 listing (managed by HPLIP) and a Deskjet 2544 listing which I think is set up by CUPS. The printer is networked not directly attached to the machine. The latter entry is quicker to get the print job to the printer and I've not noticed any alignment issues - but i don't print that much.
No, there is only the one printer listed.
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

Back to the drawing board.

I deleted and purged the hplip 13.8.6

I (re)installed from the distro: hplip-gui, hplip, hplip-data

With the system-config-printer 1.4.3 I was able to locate DeskJet-2600-series and install it.
the URI is: usb://HP/DeskJet%202600%20series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN&interface=1
the Make and Model is: HP Deskjet 2640 Series, hpcups 3.15.2

It prints fine. The text is placed correctly on the page.

However, I do not have the HP Software Manager, nor can I scan, and I cannot see the ink levels.

Now, doing dpkg -l hplip gives

Code: Select all

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                Version        Architecture   Description
+++-===================-==============-==============-============================================
ii  hplip               3.15.2-0trusty amd64          HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)

And, if I try to do the setup...

Code: Select all

$ hp-setup
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/hp-setup", line 45, in <module>
    from base import device, utils, tui, models, module, services, os_utils
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/device.py", line 41, in <module>
    from . import status
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/status.py", line 48, in <module>
    import hpmudext
ImportError: /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/hpmudext.cpython-34m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so: undefined symbol: hpmud_mdns_lookup
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Have you tried xsane or simple-scan for scanning? I'm not sure if either are installed by default on 17.x?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

smurphos wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 am Have you tried xsane or simple-scan for scanning? I'm not sure if either are installed by default on 17.x?
I have simple scan. That is how I scanned from my Cannon MX320. However, it doesn't see the HP.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

My hypothesis is that this device will not work on linux; as it is not listed on the hplip website as recognised and supported by hplip;

the 2633 would be the nearest; surely you need to talk to HP:
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

pdc_2 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:44 pm My hypothesis is that this device will not work on linux; as it is not listed on the hplip website as recognised and supported by hplip;

the 2633 would be the nearest; surely you need to talk to HP:
I did talk to HP, before I bought the printer. They said it would work with the HP DeskJet 2600 drivers and the hplip would be fine. Or, I would not have bought this in the first place.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”