HP DeskJet 2655

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

HP DeskJet 2655

Post by keithterrill »

I cannot get my new HP DeskJet 2655 installed correctly or fully. Let me explain. I have installed via the CUPS and then removed the CUPS, and then installed via the HPLIP install [hplip-3.18.6]. I am connecting via USB. I have tried uninstalling and installing multiple times. I can see the printer, and print to it. The test page looks right.

Except: when I print from LibreOffice or from Chrome web, etc., the page is a little larger and appears to add about 2 inches of white space to the top of the page shoving the other end of the print off the page.

I can launch the HP Device Manager.

I am not sure how to go forward with fixing this.... if it can be. At this time, the printer is almost useless to me.

thank you for any help.

------------------------------------------------------------
description: Mini Tower Computer
product: HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC
vendor: Hewlett-Packard

RELEASE=17.3
CODENAME=rosa
EDITION="Cinnamon 64-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

ALSO: I have searched for help on this related problem (I think it is related) and thought it was fixed, but alas not so.

A short while after logging in a popup error stating:
No system tray detected on this system.
Unable to start, exiting.
appears. It doesn't matter if I have the HP Device Manager on the tray already or not. If I click [Ok] I can continue and still use the HP Device Manager. At this time it is more of a nuisance than a priory need.

Also, if I log in under the Administrator account the icon shows up in the far right corner tray, but if I log in under a user it shows up in the left hand side.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: HP DeskJet 2655

Post by pdc_2 »

I suspect that Deskjet would have been fine with the hplip in Mint 17.3; I say that because installing a new version of hplip; without purging the old can bring its own problems;

but if you open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

hp-check
and hit the ENTER key ..... is all good there? If not, can you copy all the text and paste it back here; inside the code marker: the sign 5 from the left above the text as you write ..

you could then try

hp-setup
and see how that goes

you can see what version of hplip your system thinks is installed by typing or pasting to a terminal

dpkg -l hplip
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

1) It did not work with the hplip the Software Manager installed. That is why I tried all these other steps.

2) after turning on the printer hp-check gives:

Saving output in log file: /home/keith/hp-check.log

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.18.6)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 15.1

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Note: hp-check can be run in three modes:
1. Compile-time check mode (-c or --compile): Use this mode before compiling the HPLIP supplied tarball (.tar.gz or .run) to determine if the proper dependencies are installed to successfully compile HPLIP.                        
2. Run-time check mode (-r or --run): Use this mode to determine if a distro supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc) or an already built HPLIP supplied tarball has the proper dependencies installed to successfully run.                 
3. Both compile- and run-time check mode (-b or --both) (Default): This mode will check both of the above cases (both compile- and run-time dependencies).                                                                            

Check types:                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
a. EXTERNALDEP - External Dependencies                                                                                                                                                                                                
b. GENERALDEP - General Dependencies (required both at compile and run time)                                                                                                                                                          
c. COMPILEDEP - Compile time Dependencies                                                                                                                                                                                             
d. [All are run-time checks]                                                                                                                                                                                                          
PYEXT SCANCONF QUEUES PERMISSION                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Status Types:
    OK
    MISSING       - Missing Dependency or Permission or Plug-in
    INCOMPAT      - Incompatible dependency-version or Plugin-version

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

Kernel: 4.4.0-130-generic #156~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 13:51:47 UTC 2018 GNU/Linux
 Host: AHC-DESK2
 Proc: 4.4.0-130-generic #156~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 13:51:47 UTC 2018 GNU/Linux
 Distribution: 22 17.3
 Bitness: 64 bit

-----------------------
| HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
-----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.18.6
HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is supported for linuxmint distro  17.3 version 

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
version=3.18.6

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip-3.18.6
html=/usr/share/doc/hplip-3.18.6
icon=/usr/share/applications
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/share/cups/drv/hp
bin=/usr/bin
apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
libusb01-build=no
pp-build=no
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
hpijs-install=no
foomatic-drv-install=no
foomatic-ppd-install=no
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
hpcups-install=yes
cups-drv-install=yes
cups-ppd-install=no
internal-tag=3.18.6
restricted-build=no
ui-toolkit=qt4
qt3=no
qt4=yes
qt5=no
policy-kit=no
lite-build=no
udev_sysfs_rules=no
hpcups-only-build=no
hpijs-only-build=no
apparmor_build=yes
class-driver=no

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
Plugins are not installed. Could not access file: No such file or directory

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
[upgrade]
latest_available_version = 3.17.10
notify_upgrade = false
last_upgraded_time = 1531140272
pending_upgrade_time = 0

[settings]
systray_visible = 0
systray_messages = 0

[last_used]
device_uri = "hp:/usb/DeskJet_2600_series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN"
printer_name = 
working_dir = .

[commands]
scan = /usr/bin/xsane -V %SANE_URI%

[refresh]
rate = 30
enable = false
type = 1

[polling]
enable = false
interval = 5
device_list = 

[fax]
voice_phone = 
email_address = 

[installation]
date_time = 07/09/2018 16:11:19
version = 3.18.6

<Package-name>        <Package-Desc>      <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status>   <Comment>

--------------
| COMPILEDEP |
--------------

gcc                  gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler                         REQUIRED        -               4.8.4           OK         -
 make                 make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs       REQUIRED        3.0             3.81            OK         -
 libtool              libtool - Library building support services                  REQUIRED        -               2.4.2           OK         -

------------------------
| General Dependencies |
------------------------

libcrypto            libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library                    REQUIRED        -               1.0.1           OK         -
 python-xml           Python XML libraries                                         REQUIRED        -               2.1.0           OK         -
 libnetsnmp-devel     libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           5.7.2           OK         -
 sane-devel           SANE - Scanning library development files                    REQUIRED        -               1.0.23          OK         -
 pil                  PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan) OPTIONAL        -               1.1.7           OK         -
 pyqt4-dbus           PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4                         REQUIRED        4.0             4.10.4          OK         -
 libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library                           REQUIRED        -               2.19            OK         -
 python-devel         Python devel - Python development files                      REQUIRED        2.2             2.7.6           OK         -
 cups-devel           CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files    REQUIRED        -               1.7.2           OK         -
 python-dbus          Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus                       REQUIRED        0.80.0          1.2.0           OK         -
 cups-ddk             CUPS DDK - CUPS driver development kit                       OPTIONAL        -               -               OK         -
 reportlab            Reportlab - PDF library for Python                           OPTIONAL        2.0             3.0             OK         -
 pyqt4                PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x)         REQUIRED        4.0             4.10.4          OK         -
 libusb               libusb - USB library                                         REQUIRED        -               1.0             OK         -
 cups-image           CUPS image - CUPS image development files                    REQUIRED        -               1.7.2           OK         -
 python2X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language          REQUIRED        2.2             2.7.6           OK         -
 python-notify        Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -               OK         -
 libjpeg              libjpeg - JPEG library                                       REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
 sane                 SANE - Scanning library                                      REQUIRED        -               1.0.23          OK         -

----------------------
| Scan Configuration |
----------------------

scanext              Scan-SANE-Extension                                          REQUIRED        -               3.18.6          OK         -
 hpaio                HPLIP-SANE-Backend                                           REQUIRED        -               3.18.6          OK         'hpaio found in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'

-------------------------
| External Dependencies |
-------------------------

gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.10            OK         -
 scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                           OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.23          OK         -
 cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                           REQUIRED        1.1             1.7.2           OK         'CUPS Scheduler is running'
 network              network -wget                                                OPTIONAL        -               1.15            OK         -
 policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.105           OK         -
 xsane                xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             0.998           OK         -
 dbus                 DBus - Message bus system                                    REQUIRED        -               1.6.18          OK         -
 avahi-utils          avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               0.6.31          OK         -

---------------------
| Python Extentions |
---------------------

hpmudext             IO-Extension                                                 REQUIRED        -               3.18.6          OK         -
 cupsext              CUPS-Extension                                               REQUIRED        -               3.18.6          OK         -

------------------------------
| DISCOVERED SCANNER DEVICES |
------------------------------

device `hpaio:/usb/DeskJet_2600_series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN' is a Hewlett-Packard DeskJet_2600_series all-in-one

--------------------------
| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |
--------------------------

Device URI                                         Model                                         
  -------------------------------------------------  ----------------------------------------------
  hp:/usb/DeskJet_2600_series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN  HP DeskJet 2600 series                        

---------------------------------
| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |
---------------------------------

HP-DeskJet-2600-series
----------------------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/DeskJet_2600_series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-DeskJet-2600-series.ppd
PPD Description: HP Deskjet 2600 Series, hpcups 3.18.6
Printer status: printer HP-DeskJet-2600-series is idle.  enabled since Mon 09 Jul 2018 08:34:13 AM EDT
Communication status: Good

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

USB             HP-DeskJet-2600-series         Required        -        -        OK       Node:'/dev/bus/usb/002/005' Perm:'  root  lp rw- rw- rw- rw- r--'
No errors or warnings.
3) doing dpkg -l hplip gives:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                                 Version                 Architecture            Description
+++-====================================-=======================-=======================-==============================================================================
rc  hplip
4) doing hp-setup I am asked for user and password, it then fails.

Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

(python:18664): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(python:18664): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)
error:  Printer queue setup failed.   Error : successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes

Done.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so Keith for

dpkg -l hplip
we get

||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  hplip          3.16.3+repac amd64        HP Linux Printing and Imaging Sys
so all doesn't seem well there; one seems to need to purge older versions of hplip before installing a new one; so if you do

sudo apt purge hplip
as a cleanser; then re-install the 3.18.6 and do

dpkg -l hplip
I wonder if you get a better reading ........
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

I have attempted to purge the hplip and then reinstall. I had a Cannon installed, and I removed that. No changes. I removed cups, and uninstall, and purged hplip. Then reinstalled. No changes.

However, now that I am reaching out for help, I will follow your steps.

pressing on....

I did

sudo apt purge hplip
[sudo] password for <user>: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  hplip*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 312556 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing hplip (3.15.2-0trusty4.1) ...
Purging configuration files for hplip (3.15.2-0trusty4.1) ...
N: Ignoring file 'removed.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
N: Ignoring file 'removed.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
And then doing:

dpkg -l hplip
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
un  hplip          <none>       <none>       (no description available)
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

so thanks Keith; you said
I removed cups, and uninstall, and purged hplip. Then reinstalled.
and now you have purged it again; so my reading is dpkg finds no entry for hplip

so is cups reinstalled; and have you installed the 3.18.6 version of hplip; if it was, it should appear in the

dpkg -l hplip
command which is asking the debian package manager; to LIST what it knows of hplip

(I confess I see cups as an innocent party in all this; I would have felt it could have been left well alone;) so many folks seem to feel they have to attempt to sort it all themselves; it would be good surely on Mint; a friendly forum; to have folks just say "I don't know how to fix this": my plan is always to ask for help if stumped on stuff: there is a vast amount of stuff I have absolutely no idea about ..... and I am saying all this to be supportive;
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

so my reading is dpkg finds no entry for hplip
Yet, I have the HP Device Manager and the about screen identifies it as 3.18.6 and in the system-config-printer A CUPS configuration tool the HP-DeskJet-2600-series printer is listed. And, I can print to the printer, although it doesn't place the print on the page correctly.

So, I am at a loss on how to fix this.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

HP produce a bewildering variety of devices; I can't see this on the "supported printers" list on their hplip website

unless you try contacting them directly; they have been updating hplip a lot in recent times

If you right-click on the icon for the HP, what does it say in MAKE & MODEL?

what does

lpinfo -v
give and

lpstat -t
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

If you right-click on the icon for the HP, what does it say in MAKE & MODEL?
I have no idea what Icon you are talking about. There are no Icons on the desktop. The Icon in the Panel gives: Launch, Add, Edit, Remove.

If I go into the HP Device Manager, under Model Data (Static) I find:

15 | Model | DeskJet_2600_series
Doing lpinfo -v did not work, I had sudo.

<user> ~ $ lpinfo -v
lpinfo: Forbidden
<user>@<user> ~ $ sudo lpinfo -v
[sudo] password for <user>: 
network https
network ipp14
network ipp
direct usb://HP/DeskJet%202600%20series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN&interface=1
network http
network ipps
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS4?baud=115200
direct hp:/usb/DeskJet_2600_series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN
network lpd
network socket
network smb
direct hpfax
Doing lpstat -t gives:

scheduler is running
system default destination: HP-DeskJet-2600-series
device for HP-DeskJet-2600-series: hp:/usb/DeskJet_2600_series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN
HP-DeskJet-2600-series accepting requests since Wed 11 Jul 2018 11:58:35 AM EDT
printer HP-DeskJet-2600-series is idle.  enabled since Wed 11 Jul 2018 11:58:35 AM EDT
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

lpinfo forbidden message is very strange

Post by pdc_2 »

<user> ~ $ lpinfo -v
lpinfo: Forbidden
this is very strange; my take is there must be some permissions issues on your account; hopefully someone familiar with permissions can spot this and suggest how to check things out; you should NOT need to invoke sudo to get lpinfo

(On the other hand, it is a really useful command with printers, as it seems to show up cups issues and now this one .......

If you look at the file /etc/cups/cups-files.conf ...... I would use gedit so the command would be

gedit /etc/cups/cups-files.conf
and this opens it with read-only rights so you can't change the file;

Search for SystemGroup; I wonder if your entry looks like ours; as in the screenshot
lpadmin.png
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

this is very strange; my take is there must be some permissions issues on your account;
Yes, I thought this too.

cups-files.conf has this:

# Administrator user group, used to match @SYSTEM in cupsd.conf policy rules...
SystemGroup lpadmin
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

I added group lpadmin group to my user

Then I tried lpinfo -v again and this time:

$ lpinfo -v
network lpd
network https
network ipp14
direct cnijusb:/dev/usb/lp0
network http
network socket
network ipps
network ipp
network smb
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
serial serial:/dev/ttyS4?baud=115200
direct usb://HP/DeskJet%202600%20series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN&interface=1
direct hp:/usb/DeskJet_2600_series?serial=CN75O194NS06PN
direct hpfax
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

great; so if you do
hp-setup
now, do things go better?
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

great; so if you do
hp-setup
now, do things go better?

$ hp-setup

Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

(python:32708): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(python:32708): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)

Done.
No, it is still the same. The page prints about 2 inches shifted to the right, and the right hand part of the text falls of the paper.

So, there is no change.

By the way. I have done most all of these steps before I asked for help. On Jul 10 you said:
so many folks seem to feel they have to attempt to sort it all themselves; it would be good surely on Mint; a friendly forum; to have folks just say "I don't know how to fix this": my plan is always to ask for help if stumped on stuff: there is a vast amount of stuff I have absolutely no idea about
I had looked for the answer and found these recommendations, and followed them. It was after doing all that was already recommended to others trying to get their HP working that I came here and asked for help.

So far though, I am still where I was when I first asked for help.

What more to do, short of pitching this printer and looking for something else. The HP was recommended, and I was assured that this would work with the drivers. I got that from one of the Linux Mint sites.

The reason for the shift was because the Canon MX-320 I am replacing did not have Linux drivers that would read the ink levels. Outside of that, it was by far superior to the HP and it printed correctly.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

sorry to hear of your continuing problems; at heart, this 2655 doesn't appear on hplip's page of supported printers; .. it must be so close to others; but close seems not enough to make it work;

Everyone sings HP's praises; you do see posts with issues;

If you still have the Canon, there is a programme called inkblot that might give you ink levels; I guess

sudo apt install inkblot
would do it: the link is here http://libinklevel.sourceforge.net/#supported

an alternative: Turboprint make an excellent driver package; it does ink levels too; I wonder if the free version reports ink levels; the free version leaves a watermark; they ask for a contribution to put food on the table for the full version; but anyone I have seen who gets the full version is so pleased they do not return with issues; goodness, you have been round the traps with this 2655 .........

http://www.turboprint.info/printer_Cano ... MX320.html
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

If you still have the Canon, there is a programme called inkblot that might give you ink levels; I guess
CODE: SELECT ALL

sudo apt install inkblot

an alternative: Turboprint make an excellent driver package; it does ink levels too; I wonder if the free version reports ink levels; the free version leaves a watermark; they ask for a contribution to put food on the table for the full version; but anyone I have seen who gets the full version is so pleased they do not return with issues; goodness, you have been round the traps with this 2655 .........

My Canon MX-320 is dying.
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

pdc_2 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 pm sorry to hear of your continuing problems; at heart, this 2655 doesn't appear on hplip's page of supported printers; .. it must be so close to others; but close seems not enough to make it work;

Everyone sings HP's praises; you do see posts with issues;

sudo apt install inkblot

So, on a different machine which has Linux Mint 17.3 installed and never had a printer attached nor installed I went through the steps of installing the HP DeskJet 2655 on it. This brought back to me the reason I downloaded the hplip 3.18.6 and installed it.

Using the system-config-printer 1.4.3 A CUPS configuration tool. I can find the printer on the USB port and it reports as DeskJet-2600-Series. If I print the exact same document from this other computer to the printer it prints correctly, positioned correctly on the page.

However, I cannot scan from it, nor can I read the ink levels, as well as there is no HP Device Manager.

If using the Software Manager I install the hplip-gui, hplip, hplip-data I can get the HP Device Manager. But, the HP Device Manager does not find the printer. If I remove the printer configuration via the system-config-printer and try to find the printer via HP Device Manager or through the command line tools in terminal it cannot find any printer.

hp-check found a number of items needed. hp-doctor installed those items. dpkg -l hplip showed the same as you have seen.

Rebooting made no difference, the hp tools could not find the printer.

If I hp-purge and then remove all hplip through the system-config-printer I can once again locate the printer, install the configuration, and print to the printer.... but not have the scanner nor see the ink levels.... and not have the HP Device Manager. Good news is that the HP Error startup message doesn't show up.

So, now what is the difference? Why does the vanilla version of 17.3 find the printer and work but not install the rest of what is needed to work?

PS: The Inkblot does not support the Canon MX320. The turboprint site appears to be broken.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I think you may need to accept that HP don't support your printer on Linux and the basic CUPS support is all you are going to get.

It's not listed here - https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index

If I go to its support page here - https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp ... l/15787937 and select Software & Drivers it only lists Mac and Windows...

By comparison, I've got a Desket 2544. It is listed on the support page and when I visit it's page and click on Software & Drivers I am immediately directed to a link to the HPLIP pages.

You could always raise a ticket with HP - https://support.hp.com/gb-en/contact-hp ... l/15787937

Edit to add - for scanner support without HPLIP try apt install xsane. It's a generic scanner GUI and works fine with my HP.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

smurphos wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:34 am I think you may need to accept that HP don't support your printer on Linux and the basic CUPS support is all you are going to get.

It's not listed here - https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... ices/index

If I go to its support page here - https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/hp ... l/15787937 and select Software & Drivers it only lists Mac and Windows...

By comparison, I've got a Desket 2544. It is listed on the support page and when I visit it's page and click on Software & Drivers I am immediately directed to a link to the HPLIP pages.

You could always raise a ticket with HP - https://support.hp.com/gb-en/contact-hp ... l/15787937

Edit to add - for scanner support without HPLIP try apt install xsane. It's a generic scanner GUI and works fine with my HP.
You may be right. If so, then I will be very upset. I contacted HP Support and asked on this. They said they do not directly support Linux but that the HP DeskJet 2600 drivers would work with it. That was what made the decision to spend the money on this. If I knew that it was going to be such a problem I would have considered getting another Cannon because I can make it work in spite of the lack of support from Cannon.
keithterrill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by keithterrill »

So, I started up a pocket computer (USB Flash Drive) with Linux Mint 18.1

The hplip from the distro could not find the printer even though the cups can.

I removed the hplip that came with the install.

I then installed the hplp 3.18.6 as per instructions.

It found purged more old hplip, then installed.

The printer test page looks very good and placed well, but printing a page from LibreOffice looks good except it is still placed 2 inches or so off set.

At the end of the installation there were a couple of errors. I have included that part of the output here. Any ideas?

RE-STARTING HP_SYSTRAY
----------------------

System Tray Status Service ver. 2.0

error: Unable to lock /home/keith/.hplip/hp-systray.lock. Is hp-systray already running?
keith@keith-pocket ~/hp/hplip-3.18.6 $ error: Failed to connect to HPLIP site. Error code = 8
error: Failed to get latest version of HPLIP.

keith@keith-pocket ~/hp/hplip-3.18.6 $ 
HP Device Manager ver. 15.0

Return to “Printers & Scanners”