(RESOLVED) Mint 19 Cinnamon with Brother MFC-J870 printer/scanner

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rte638

(RESOLVED) Mint 19 Cinnamon with Brother MFC-J870 printer/scanner

Post by rte638 »

I did a new install of Mint 19 and the Brother MFC-J870 printer was automatically detected by Mint 19. Simple Scan was also automatically installed by Mint 19 but did not detect the scanner. How do I have the scanner detected by Simple Scan?
Thanks for your help
Last edited by rte638 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Mint 19 Brother MFC-J870

Post by pdc_2 »

Your J870 is airprint-compatible; that was introduced last year in Ubuntu so comes to the new Mint;

Brother supply an install script; it installs Brother drivers for the printing and scanning side of things; I recommend using the install script; it will install the scanner drivers and hopefully all the little tweaks that seem necessary to get the scanner working

(Does the printer icon say "driverless" as that seems the way to recognise the airprint driver; if the Brother install adds a Brother driver, then have a choice of two!)

so go here http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... &type3=625 and click to download and SAVE what will be linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz

Now you need to open a terminal; either click on the black tv on the bottom line; or hold down the control and alt and t keys all at once; then you need to paste some commands into the terminal; click on the text prompt; the flashing light in the terminal; right-click there; PASTE should appear on the menu that is visible? OK?

now copy each command below; paste into the terminal; hit the ENTER key and move to the next line ..

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1.gz

sudo bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.0-1 MFC-J870
....... watch as the script runs as it will ask questions; near the end it will ask you to identify the Device URI: if usb, just say NO; if wireless, look in the options for the best fit

(if you do

lpinfo -v
before you run the script, see what the admin is reading the printer as and then look for that ID from the list offered;
rte638

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon with Brother MFC-J870 printer/scanner

Post by rte638 »

pdc_2
Thank you for your solution.
It worked perfectly
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: (RESOLVED) Mint 19 Cinnamon with Brother MFC-J870 printer/scanner

Post by pdc_2 »

great;

so the scanner works well?
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

So I have a Brother MFC-8480DN USB connected but I could not get it to work until I did the following:

a) 'sudo ln -sfr /usr/lib64/libbrscandec* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu'
b) 'sudo ln -sfr /usr/lib64/sane/libsane-brother* /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane'

This works for a BRSCAN3 device. I found this fix in a bug report after Ubuntu 18.04 came out.
sparkery
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sparkery »

Thanks PDC. I had the same problem for a different model. Your advice fixed it.
jenissley

Post by jenissley »

Thank you nkoropoff - that was the fix for me (Brother MFC-295CN)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod> billstowell's thread is here: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon with Brother MFC-J825DW printer/scanner </mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Printers & Scanners”