Brother MFC-J4620 Scanner not found after upgrade to LM19[SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adie

Brother MFC-J4620 Scanner not found after upgrade to LM19[SOLVED]

Post by adie »

After an upgrade from Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon to Linux Mint 19 xsane, simplescan etc. did no longer find the scanner on my Brother MFC-4620DW. Also the driver and sane packages were still installed and upgraded.
Based on some search there were apparently many scanner issues upgrading also to Ubuntu Bionic. Finally I found a simple fix by reconfiguring the scanner using:
brsaneconfig4 -a name=FRIENDLY-NAME model=MODEL-NAME ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

The scanner was recognized running brscanconfig4 -q but it seems during the upgrade the configuration was lost.

More details also on https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Scanner/Brother/ (unfortunately in German)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Brother MFC-J4620 Scanner not found after upgrade to LM19

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Brother MFC-J4620 Scanner not found after upgrade to LM19

Post by pdc_2 »

so deepak has pointed you to a tutorial; there are a lot of steps there .........

the other option is to use the install tool that Brother supply;

have a look at this thread that is beside yours; viewtopic.php?f=51&t=273237

follow the instructions there; you can download the install tool from that link as it is a generic install tool; just substitute the MFC-J4620 in the line so it goes looking for your device

by using the install script, it should do all the detailed steps you need; for you; watch the terminal as it runs ............

Return to “Printers & Scanners”