Can't Print to New Copy Machine at Work

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Can't Print to New Copy Machine at Work

Post by mfreeman »

We got a new copier at our office at work. It's a Ricoh MP C3004ex. There are Linux ppd drivers available (both included with Mint/Ubuntu and available on the Ricoh web site, which look like they are the same thing). The copier is on the network and is automatically recognized and added by CUPS. But when I try to print to it, it gives me messages that it is out of paper, and that printing was cancelled at the printer, and does not print. All paper trays are full, so the machine is not actually out of paper. I've tried changing to each of the different paper trays in the printer settings, with the same result no matter which I choose. A co-worker can print from Windows with no difficulties. I've tried adding it to CUPS manually through different methods (IPP, AppSocket/JetDirect, and AppSocket/JetDirect network printer via DNS-SD). It either gives me the same messages as above, or just says that the page was sent, but it never actually prints. The copier that this machine replaced printed just fine (it was a Kyocera brand machine). I've Googled the problem, and searched the various Linux/Ubuntu/Mint forums, but no luck. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this? I'm sure there's got to be a way to get this working.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't Print to New Copy Machine at Work

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mfreeman »

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the link you provided does not match the problem I am having. In the link you provided, a driver for the Ricoh printer/scanner mentioned in that post does not exist, and the suggestion made did not result in any success. In my case, drivers do exist, both through open printing drivers (as it there is a driver specific to the MP C3004ex built into Mint) and through the Ricoh web site. I just cannot get the driver to function properly. I'm assuming that if they exist and are distributed on both platforms, they should be functional. I suppose that could be a wrong assumption, but I would hope a professional company would not distribute a driver for their own machine that didn't work at all.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mfreeman »

Also, on the openprinting.org website http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Ric ... MP_C3004ex, the drivers are reported to work "perfectly". So, I'm wondering if there's a CUPS problem or a connection problem that I'm not seeing.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

schumamol

Post by schumamol »

I have been recently having the same problems with a RICOH MP C2504ex at work. OP, were you able to find a solution?
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mfreeman »

No, I haven't found a solution. My workaround had been to save as PDF to a flash drive and walk it over to the copier and print it from there. Not at all ideal.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

The C2504exMP and C3004ex can both handle PDF and Postscript files sent directly to them. How does

Code: Select all

nc printer_IP_or_host_name 9100 < PDF_or_PostScript_file
work out?

Whar version of Mint is being used?
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Two posters. The same problem. A problem solving solution given. The same response.

It cannot be that important to either poster.
--
Brian.
mfreeman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mfreeman »

Sorry it took a while to get back. We moved office locations. After moving and getting the network set up and connected, the copy machine now prints fine. As far as I can tell, there is no difference other than physical location, but maybe there was some sort of firewall on the system I couldn't detect or something that was only affecting Linux, or just my computer? IDK. But it's working just fine now.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”