Mint 18/19 And Canon Color Laser All In One

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18/19 And Canon Color Laser All In One

Post by Zulu95 »

I have been running a Canon MF8280Cw in Mint 17 for a few years and had very few problems with the network printing feature. Then I upgraded one of the computers to Mint 18 about a year ago. I have been fighting with it ever since. I have got it to print twice in that time. Most times it fires the printer up and makes all the right noises at the printer end and I get the notifications that the jobs was sent and printed at the computer end but nothing hits the out tray.
Now I installed Mint 19 on another computer and the same baloney! What is it with Mint and printers? I'm not a programmer and I have attempted to follow a number of fixes reported online but no printed matter yet! I have installed and reinstalled the Canon drivers, I have gone through the CUPS install process, I even attempted to copy/paste the address from my 17.2 computer to see if that would work.
Why is it that such an high power OS has so many printing problems?
The older Win Vista and the Mint 17.2 machines still print without a problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon MF8280CW needs UFR 3.5 driver from Canon

Post by pdc_2 »

so if I was installing the Canon driver for this device, I would go here https://www.canon-europe.com/support/co ... anguage=EN (Canon Europe site as the Canon Asia site is temporarily down .......)

I would click to download and SAVE what is UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V3.50 released 19th March 2018; 4 months ago

It comes down as linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz

I would then open a terminal; and paste each command below into the terminal; 1 by 1 and hit the ENTER key after each paste

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz

cd linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken
then I would run the install script

sudo ./install.sh
that last command should do the 2 things that are needed to get a printer working ..
!) install the drivers
2) register the printer with lpadmin ............ so it knows which ppd to allocate to which printer ....... and what the path to the printer is ...

(all hopefully done by Canon's install script)
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 18/19 And Canon Color Laser All In One

Post by Zulu95 »

Thanks for the suggestion. That is the Canon driver I have loaded at least twice in both Mint 18 and 19 to no avail. This seems like so much nonsense to have to go through so much trouble to get a printer to work. It takes me back to DOS days before Windows started making all these choices for us. For all the Windows woes it did eliminate, for the most part, driver/conflict problems. I cannot understand why when Mint 17.2 works with the printer so well 18/19 should be so broken. But, as I said I'm not a programmer.
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zulu95 »

BUMP^
Still no print and I am ready to revert to 17.3 and give up on 19.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I am ready to revert to 17.3
. tjhat's your choice; Mint 19 comes off 18.04 ubuntu; it is brand-new; a lot of stuff to test and sort out; the new adopters do that for those who wait and install at 19.2 or 19.3 ......... older and stable are very attractive qualities in an OS

What does

lpinfo -v
give in a terminal? (with printer plugged in and turned on);
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zulu95 »

Reads as follows:
network socket
network ipps
file cups-brf:/
network beh
network https
network lpd
serial serial:/dev/ttyS4?baud=115200
network http
network ipp
network dnssd://Canon%20MF8200C%20Series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=6d4ff0ce-6b11-11d8-8020-2c9efc528a9f
network socket://192.168.0.100
network ipp://Canon528a9f.local:80/ipp/print
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

if you do want to investigate further in Mint 19, Ubuntu provide a wiki on printing problems;

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrinti ... _error_log

here they tell you to generate an error log; to see what the system is reporting;

(I see Canon warrant the UFR driver worked on 17.10 Ubuntu; released Oct 2017; but the March 2018 release was just slightly ahead of the 18.04 release)
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zulu95 »

I thank you for the info/assistance. I'm letting this simmer on the back burner for a while as there is too much going on with more important things this summer. Hopefully the 19.2/3 updates will address the problems and I'm more inclined to let the experts sort it out for me in the updates. I installed 19 on a spare I had just purchased so as long as my main NB keeps plodding along on 17.3 I can survive.
Cheers,
Z.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

This MF8280Cw is, as I understand it Pjotr, a laser printer; the inkjet printers of Canon use the pixma drivers; the lasers seem different;

Canon supply their UFR driver for the many lasers they offer; (actually they seem to have two: UFRII and UFRIILT ..... the UFRII is at version 3.5 and the UFRIILT is at version 1.4)
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zulu95 »

I have downloaded/installed the printer/printer driver several times. I used the UFRII 3.5 version direct from Canon and it really made little difference. It is so close; the printer wakes up, the data light strobes, the printer makes all sorts of interesting noises as if it is feeding and printing but fails to provide a print before it closes down again. I have the icon in the "PRINTER" section and I can check toner levels. Hopefully the LINUX drivers and the Canon drivers can catch up with each other soon and everything will connect.
Meanwhile 17.3 plugs on like a trooper.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

one can email Canon; and I emailed them about your problem; they say "we have installed the v3.50 UFR driver in Mint 19 and printed to MF8280, MF6160 and MF6275 without a problem."

I wonder if you look again at the error log and see what it says for Mint 19 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrinti ... _error_log

<<<<<<<<<<<<,
in the Canon instructions, they suggest how to register the printer

if you do

cnsetuputil
and if that does not work

sudo cnsetuputil
I wonder if you get a dialogue box to try?
MF8280.png
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zulu95 »

Thank you for a partial solution. I used the CNSETUPUTIL command and got the printing going on two 2LM 18.3 systems but it refuses to work on LM19 so far. Gives a completely different result. As one of the computers is dual boot I know it must be something in the LM19. Ran out of time at that point so I'll have to return to it later if time allows and try again using the alternate command you suggested.
BIG thanks again for all the help.
If this does not clear the problem I'm going to rattle the cage over a Canon and see what happens.
Cheers!
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zulu95 »

Update:
Had a few minutes so i fooled with another LM18 computer that refused to print. Still does. I did everything same as last times but no paper output. The printer is listed, set as default, reports the toner levels but will not print. Same problem as the LM19 session on the other computer.
I'm going to dig out the LM17 iso I have and install it over the weekend if I have time and if it prints then I'm rolling the last machine back to LM17.
I'm also going to contact Canon.
Cheers.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I would suggest that if one uses linux; (as you seem to have been doing for several years; albeit only a forum member for 10 days ..)

.. I would deferentially suggest it is helpful to have a little knowledge of how to lift the bonnet; peer underneath; and maybe check the oil and water levels; and maybe remove the bird's nest in the corner; I agree it can be very frustrating and irritating and annoying that all does not work all the time;

so from here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrinti ... _error_log

1) if you open a terminal and do

cupsctl LogLevel=debug 
......... that will activate debug logging.

2) then

cupsctl LogDebugHistory=999999 
for practically unlimited logging of failed jobs.

3)

cancel -a
........ clears the queue from any stuck jobs ..... can also be done by deleting the jobs in the job viewer

4) you can read the log with

less /var/log/cups/error_log 
and see what it is saying;

.. more details in the above post:

These details may be helpful if you want to file a bug report with Ubuntu; as that is where Mint originates from; which version of Mint 19 were you evaluating?
FFIXCollector
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FFIXCollector »

Solved for me:

Download: https://www.canon-europe.com/support/co ... isclaimer
Extract > /Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v350-usen/
Run:

sudo /home/*USERNAME*/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v350-usen/install.sh
For some reason the only way it worked for me is after I ran the install.sh and registered the printer manually via the Canon Utility.
I have a MF8280CW
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zulu95 »

pdc2: As soon as I get enough time I'll give your suggestions a try. Thank you. BTW LM Cinnamon.

FFIXCollector: I downloaded the 3.5 driver/install software from Canon USA but it has not worked yet. Is the europe driver package any different? I had a quick jump over via your link and no Linux OS are listed.

I called Canon to try and get some insight from them but I was informed they did not support Linux and said goodbye. Last Canon product including cameras I'll buy!
FFIXCollector
Level 2
Level 2

Post by FFIXCollector »

Try this link: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/010000765 ... ken.tar.gz
Screenshot from 2018-08-03 07-42-21.png
Extract it to: ~/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v350-usen/
Then Run: "sudo ~/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v350-usen/install.sh"

sudo ~/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v350-usen/install.sh
FFIXCollector
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Canon MF8280CW needs UFR 3.5 driver from Canon

Post by FFIXCollector »

pdc_2 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 am so if I was installing the Canon driver for this device, I would go here https://www.canon-europe.com/support/co ... anguage=EN (Canon Europe site as the Canon Asia site is temporarily down .......)

I would click to download and SAVE what is UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V3.50 released 19th March 2018; 4 months ago

It comes down as linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz

I would then open a terminal; and paste each command below into the terminal; 1 by 1 and hit the ENTER key after each paste

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken.tar.gz

cd linux-UFRII-drv-v350-uken
then I would run the install script

sudo ./install.sh
that last command should do the 2 things that are needed to get a printer working ..
!) install the drivers
2) register the printer with lpadmin ............ so it knows which ppd to allocate to which printer ....... and what the path to the printer is ...

(all hopefully done by Canon's install script)
Worked for me!
Zulu95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zulu95 »

Well I just installed the drivers etc. as per the instructions above and noticed that there were a number of "replacing" messages as this is the same files as I have installed from the Canon USA site (3.50). Ran a test print and LM19 at least fired up the printer and made all the right noises but produced no output. Printer "box" noted that the job had been cancelled by the printer. So still not solved I'm afraid.
If I have a chance later I'm going to start the error logging process and see where it takes me but other things to do now.
Thanks to all for help so far.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”