[SOLVED]Required to unplug USB before each scan

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED]Required to unplug USB before each scan

Post by CtrlAltDel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:55 am

I'm using a Samsung C460w Printer/Scanner, using a USB connection, on a clean install of Mint 19 Cinnamon. I am using Simple Scan and it will work only once at a time. After a successful scan, I must either turn off the scanner and turn it back on to scan or unplug the USB cord and plug it back in, and close Simple Scan and reopen it to get another single scan. Repeat process for each single scan instance.

Any suggestions? scanimage -L
device `smfp:usb;04e8;3468;ZEVPB8KF8B00D6X' is a Samsung C460 Series on USB Scanner
Last edited by CtrlAltDel on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
8 GB Memory - 2x1 TB HD's
Mint 19 Cinnamon 64bit

CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Required to unplug USB before each scan

Post by CtrlAltDel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:29 pm

XSane behavior is identical to Simple Scan, only one scan at a time and then unplug and plug to continue.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
Mint 19 Cinnamon 64bit

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:32 pm

it maybe that the scan is no longer being detected correctly,
and the plug & play will only detect the scanner when it is re-inserted into the port

Linux Systems, are a little different, in that most hardware is detected at Boot-up Time,
& which is different to the Windows System, which is a completely plug & play system.

so, you may need to switch to another kernel, in order to get the scanner to keep working . .
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CtrlAltDel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:30 pm

Pierre wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:32 pm
it maybe that the scan is no longer being detected correctly,
and the plug & play will only detect the scanner when it is re-inserted into the port

Linux Systems, are a little different, in that most hardware is detected at Boot-up Time,
& which is different to the Windows System, which is a completely plug & play system.

so, you may need to switch to another kernel, in order to get the scanner to keep working . .
:)
What a coincidence you should mention that. I came back here to reply that I had installed the latest kernel, 4.15.0.29.31, that showed up in Update Manager today. It helped a bit, enough for me to live with, and is not nearly as aggravating.

Now, I can scan once and the next time it won't work but I only have to close the error message box, which says scanner not found, and try again and it works. It seems to be steady as I tested it about five times and it performed the same each time. No need any longer to unplug the USB cable.

Thanks.
Intel i7-4790 Processor
Nvidia GeForce GT 720
Mint 19 Cinnamon 64bit

Return to “Printers & Scanners”