How do I get an HP Deskjet up and running?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heartnotes

How do I get an HP Deskjet up and running?

Post by heartnotes »

HP has their own lame software they use to update their printers, and I'm not sure it's Linux compatible. Can anyone help me? It's wireless, but it's not showing up in the Printers tab in System Settings.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: How do I get an HP Deskjet up and running?

Post by pdc_2 »

so which model of HP Deskjet do you have?

and which version of Mint are you running please?

If you open a terminal; the black tv screen on the bottom line; and paste

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
into the terminal; hit the ENTER key;

and if you select what you get; copy it; (copy on top line of menu bar of terminal ..) and paste the result back here

.. inside the code signs ...... 5th icon from the left on the top bar ...........
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Do you have hplip installed?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Which model printer and what's your version of Mint?

If the printer is connecting to your wifi and has an IP address you should be able to add it via the Printers settings module using the network printing option. If you need to set it up to use your wifi there will be a way, but it might be dependent on the printer model.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
heartnotes

Post by heartnotes »

pdc_2 wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:26 pm so which model of HP Deskjet do you have?

and which version of Mint are you running please?

If you open a terminal; the black tv screen on the bottom line; and paste

lpinfo -v
into the terminal; hit the ENTER key;

and if you select what you get; copy it; (copy on top line of menu bar of terminal ..) and paste the result back here

.. inside the code signs ...... 5th icon from the left on the top bar ...........
network socket
network lpd
network ipp
network ipps
network http
network https
network beh
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
file cups-brf:/
direct hp
direct hpfax

I am running Mint Cinnamon Tara 19, sorry for not mentioning that sooner.

HP Deskjet 3634

hplip is already installed, I think.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
hplip is already the newest version (3.17.10+repack0-5)
I believe I found the given menu, now what or where do I find the host name on my printer? https://i.imgur.com/zIbKnVL.png
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I genuinely do not know why printing is such an issue for people any longer ... especially for HP printers ... even for Linux Mint.

I just booted into the Mint 19 Install DVD went to Printers in the menu and this popped up:
cups-browsed.png
I didn't do anything to make that happen. A service called cups-browsed made that happen. It's all automatic.

The only way I can make it not happen is to stop the service:

sudo service cups-browsed stop
I would check to see if that service is running:

sudo service cups-browsed status
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
heartnotes

Post by heartnotes »

altair4 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 pm I genuinely do not know why printing is such an issue for people any longer ... especially for HP printers ... even for Linux Mint.

I just booted into the Mint 19 Install DVD went to Printers in the menu and this popped up:
cups-browsed.png
I didn't do anything to make that happen. A service called cups-browsed made that happen. It's all automatic.

The only way I can make it not happen is to stop the service:

sudo service cups-browsed stop
I would check to see if that service is running:

sudo service cups-browsed status
Not all configurations are the same, drivers are different, etc. It's nice if you don't have such problems but not everyone has that luxury...

This is the output I received:

ups-browsed.service - Make remote CUPS printers available locally
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups-browsed.service; enabled; vendor pre
Active: active (running) since Sat 2018-07-21 22:28:47 EDT; 25min ago
Main PID: 1247 (cups-browsed)
Tasks: 3 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/cups-browsed.service
└─1247 /usr/sbin/cups-browsed

Jul 21 22:28:47 heart-desktop systemd[1]: Started Make remote CUPS printers avai
lines 1-9/9 (END)

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I think this covers the rest of the steps using HPLIP Toolkit including setting up your printer on your wireless network if necesary.

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-to- ... ubuntu/879

If the printer is already on your wireless network with an IP address it should be a case of just adding it via the printer's dialogue...

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

my interpretation of your lp result; is that the printer is not "being seen" by Mint; so I wonder if it talking to the router;

(our experience of attempting to set up an OfficeJet was that the HP would not connect wirelessly to the router; even though I activated the WPS button; we had to use a usb cable; and however how that triggered it to accept it was ok; and do the wireless config;)

In Mint 19, it brings airprint compatibility; that first arrived in Ubuntu 17.04; the 3634 is NOT on the compatible list at the airprint site

those near to it; on the HP hplip site; only need version 3.15.4 for support; so 3.17.10 should be fine

I would not go attempting to install later versions .......
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

pdc_2 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:52 am I would not go attempting to install later versions .......
Indeed - the HP HPLIP installer script is not currently compatible with Mint 19 and using it will lead to problems further down the line applying Python3 updates.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”