Linux Mint 19 wakes up printer on boot

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tachtory

Linux Mint 19 wakes up printer on boot

Post by Tachtory »

Every time I boot a Mint 19 installation it wakes up the printer connected to my network. Doesn't really do any harm, but there are a few mechanical parts that click and whirr, would like to avoid the wear and tear (it's not even my printer). Would be nice if there was a fix for this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 19 wakes up printer on boot

Post by martywd »

Tachtory wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:56 pm Every time I boot a Mint 19 installation it wakes up the printer connected to my network. Doesn't really do any harm, but there are a few mechanical parts that click and whirr, would like to avoid the wear and tear (it's not even my printer). Would be nice if there was a fix for this.
Open 'Administration | Printers' (from Control Center or All Applications...). Right-click on the printer icon, check that 'Shared' is un-ticked.

IDK? Maybe that will help?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

And you MAY also need to un-check/remove the Print Queue Applet from the Session Startup (or similarly named)
Tachtory

Post by Tachtory »

There were two entries for the printer in question in the Printers applet, neither were 'Shared', but I unchecked 'Enabled' from both, however it didn't seem to help.

The printer actually gets woken up as soon as Mint reaches the login screen, before logging in.
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by martywd »

Tachtory wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:46 pm There were two entries for the printer in question in the Printers applet, neither were 'Shared', but I unchecked 'Enabled' from both, however it didn't seem to help.

The printer actually gets woken up as soon as Mint reaches the login screen, before logging in.
Oh, well

You know, it might be helpful if you let us all know exactly what flavor of LM 19 you are running? There's an 'inxi' command for this I can never remember, perhaps someone else will elaborate once again?

And.... What exactly is the offending printer... , i.e., manufacturer, make, model that is at issue here _might(?)_ be helpful as well?

Tachtory

Post by Tachtory »

It's Linux Mint 19 Xfce, upgraded from a Beta install following the instructions on the website. Haven't tested a fresh install.

Printer is an Epson WF 3640
martywd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by martywd »

Tachtory wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:12 am It's Linux Mint 19 Xfce, upgraded from a Beta install following the instructions on the website. Haven't tested a fresh install.
I have three machines running LM 19 MATE 64-bit upgraded from the Beta. But. My experience with Xfce is very limited. FWIW I'm not sure a fresh install would help with this strange issue?
Printer is an Epson WF 3640
I checked out Epson's support site for this printer. It's pretty extensive, but _only_ for Win10 and Mac.

Again, IDK? I thought disabling the 'Share' functionality in the printer's properties would be enough to prevent your machines communicating (via network) with the printer at boot up. Guess not?

Your concerns are valid. Each time an inkjet re-initializes, it's using some of it's expensive ink to clean the jets which kinda sucks! Hopefully someone else here that uses Xfce with Epson printers can help you with this.

smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Random thought - visit localhost:631/jobs/ in your browser and check for any stuck/pending print jobs.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Tachtory

Post by Tachtory »

Nope. I haven't actually printed anything from said printer.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”