Printer Access Code - Where to use it

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
albinary10

Printer Access Code - Where to use it

Post by albinary10 »

Hello everybody,

My OS is Linux Mint 19.
printer.png
I have configured a network printer.

I have an access code which I have to use in order to be able to print but I do not find any place in the properties where I can input.

Can you please help with this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Printer Access Code - Where to use it

Post by kyphi »

The access code is the Network Key on the bottom of your modem/router.

Click on the Network Manager icon on the panel and select Network Connections. Click on the entry for your modem/router to highlight it. Click on the sun icon on the bottom of the screen to edit the connection. Click on the Wi-Fi Security tab and select the Security Level (probably WPA & WPA2 Personal). Enter the password (access code). Save before exit.

Check that firewall is OFF. If you want to enable the firewall, you will have to write a rule for your connection.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
albinary10

Post by albinary10 »

kyphi wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:56 pm The access code is the Network Key on the bottom of your modem/router.

Click on the Network Manager icon on the panel and select Network Connections. Click on the entry for your modem/router to highlight it. Click on the sun icon on the bottom of the screen to edit the connection. Click on the Wi-Fi Security tab and select the Security Level (probably WPA & WPA2 Personal). Enter the password (access code). Save before exit.

Check that firewall is OFF. If you want to enable the firewall, you will have to write a rule for your connection.
Hi,

I do not understand your answer.

This is not a wireless connection access code. This is a printer access code.

In Windows, for example, in the printer properties I have the option to enter this password code.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

For the printer to function via Wi-Fi, a connection has to be established between the printer and your modem/router and that is what I described. They have to be introduced to each other.

I doubt that it works differently in Windows. If you could provide an image of the printer setup in Windows that may be helpful.

I have never heard of a printer access code.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Google is your friend

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openpr ... #Ricoh_FAQ

Looks like you will need to

apt install cups-client

and then set

lpoptions -l Ricoh-Aficio-MP2550 -o UserCode=xxx
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
albinary10

Post by albinary10 »

kyphi wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:39 pm For the printer to function via Wi-Fi, a connection has to be established between the printer and your modem/router and that is what I described. They have to be introduced to each other.

I doubt that it works differently in Windows. If you could provide an image of the printer setup in Windows that may be helpful.

I have never heard of a printer access code.

Hi,

This is what I am talking about. In Windows:
image001.png
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

smurphos wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:05 am lpoptions -l Ricoh-Aficio-MP2550 -o UserCode=xxx
Note, before it complicates the thread, according to the screenshot in the original post, that name needs an additional hyphen: lpoptions -l Ricoh-Aficio-MP-2550 -o UserCode=xxx.
albinary10

Post by albinary10 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:05 am Google is your friend

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openpr ... #Ricoh_FAQ

Looks like you will need to

apt install cups-client

and then set

lpoptions -l Ricoh-Aficio-MP2550 -o UserCode=xxx

Thank you very much. This is what I was using for.

Anyway had to use -p instead of -l.

$ lpoptions -p Ricoh-Aficio-MP2550 -o UserCode= 654165

Now the Print is successfully sent to the Printer. I was getting error before. Now getting: You do not have privilege to use this funciton. Anyway this might be something different.

Thanks again

Return to “Printers & Scanners”