How to install HP Photosmart Scanner Wirelessly? - Solved

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

How to install HP Photosmart Scanner Wirelessly? - Solved

Post by micksulley »

I recently upgraded to Mint 19, fresh install. My HP Photosmart 5510 printer scanner was a real pain on Mint 18, but 19 the printer just installed from SYstem Settings > Harware > Printers and it works! No need to install any of the HP stuff, result!

Now, how do I install the scanner? I just plugged in in via USB and it worked with XSane without any problem, but I would like to use it over the wireless network. How do I do that? If I try XSane without the printer plugged in via USB it just says that is cannot find any device.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP 5510 is airprint-compatible

Post by pdc_2 »

So Mick; that 5510 of yours is airprint-compatible; and that came with Mint 19; (Ubuntu introduced it last year with 17.04)

so Mint will set it up as a printer automatically; if you go to your PRINTERS folder; right-click on the icon; select PROPERTIES: and look in MAKE & MODEL if you tell it what it says ...... maybe HP series 5500 or something .. hplip was likely not involved at all ................

if you leave the usb cable unplugged; and do

Code: Select all

hp-setup
that should set up the scanner; it may also set up ANOTHER icon for the HP and if you look in its make & model entry, it will have
hpcups
in the line: both icons should print ........

for our Officejet I found we needed to do a usb connection first with hplip then we found it set up a wireless; initially it wouldn't behave
micksulley
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to install HP Photosmart Scanner Wirelessly?

Post by micksulley »

Brilliant! I was a bit concerned that it didn't mention the scanner at all, but after running it I can scan..
Thank you
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: How to install HP Photosmart Scanner Wirelessly? - Solved

Post by pdc_2 »

that's marvellous Mick; well done;

as you started the thread, if you go back to the title of the first post, and add SOLVED then it helps others looking for similar solutions; best wishes

Return to “Printers & Scanners”