Help Please! Konica Minolta bizhub 283

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lenny01

Help Please! Konica Minolta bizhub 283

Post by lenny01 »

Hi Everybody,

I'm hoping against hope that somebody can help me!

I am VERY new to linux - basically installed it on account of being constantly badgered to do so by a friend to shut him up. Infuriatingly, I actually really love it so far - apart from a bit of coding knowledge seems a prerequisite for effective use of it - of which I have zero!

I have a Konica Minolta bizhub 283 that works perfectly on my other windows 7 machine - but I cannot for the life of me get it to print on Linux Mint. It seems to be installed on the network, and when I send something to print, the printer lights up, and the data light flashes for 30 seconds or so, but then stops. Linux then throws up a notification saying that the printing has completed.

The system and the printer are obviously talking to each other but the end result is just not there!

I know I probably haven't given enough information for anybody to diagnose efficiently but is there anybody out there who has an inkling of what I'm doing wrong please?

Many thanks in advance!

Very frustrated Lenny.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Help Please! Konica Minolta bizhub 283

Post by jimallyn »

There are PPDs and drivers available here:

https://www.konicaminolta.eu/en/busines ... loads.html

That is apparently a PostScript printer, and should work with just about any operating system. I forget how to install a PPD. ...

Ah, there are instructions here:

https://manuals.konicaminolta.eu/ineo-4 ... topic.html

Good luck. If you can't get it going, report back. Almost certainly somebody will be able to help you further.

P.S. Welcome to Linux and to the Linux Mint forums. If you haven't figured it out yet, your friend who badgered you into installing Linux has done you an enormous favor. Newcomers to the forums often comment along the lines of, "I should have done this years ago!"
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

jimallyn wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:06 pm There are PPDs and drivers available here:

https://www.konicaminolta.eu/en/busines ... loads.html

That is apparently a PostScript printer, and should work with just about any operating system. I forget how to install a PPD. ...

Ah, there are instructions here:

https://manuals.konicaminolta.eu/ineo-4 ... topic.html

Good luck. If you can't get it going, report back. Almost certainly somebody will be able to help you further.

P.S. Welcome to Linux and to the Linux Mint forums. If you haven't figured it out yet, your friend who badgered you into installing Linux has done you an enormous favor. Newcomers to the forums often comment along the lines of, "I should have done this years ago!"
Hi Jim,

I greatly appreciate your reply. I apologise for the delay in answering - long story short, I was away, then I was ill, now I'm back :)

Thank you for the welcome - I am very impressed thus far, however I am still trying to wrap my head around certain things. However, just perusing this forum I can see I shouldn't have too much trouble getting an answer on different things due to my inadequacies! It does seem very community based which is very reassuring!

Back to the question at hand - I have tried every single driver that the site has to offer - and I cannot get any to work unfortunately. The closest I got was that the printer obviously received the data (or some of the data, as the light on the printer started flashing), and the system gave me a 'printed completed' message - however nothing actually happened. I know the printer works, as I printed to it from my daughters Windows laptop. It is very frustrating - unfortunately if I cannot get it to work I will have to revert back to Windows which would be a great shame :(

I appreciate your help.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Konica Minolta bizhub 283

Post by pdc_2 »

so Lenny; one needs to get what is called a .ppd file; (it is a list of instructions);

and instead of needing what we call "drivers", many printers (laser postscript) will work fine with just being told to look at what the ppd instructions say;

so The database is in /usr/share/ppd ... meaning inside /usr is a directory called /share and inside that is another directory called ppd

installed ppds are in /etc/cups/ppd but the system will put a copy; or a symbolic link there;

(but our cunning plan will be to put a copy of what we think is the needed ppd file; inside the ppd directory that is inside /usr/share/)

so to attempt to get a printer going;

1) one puts the right ppd file inside /usr/share/ppd
2) tells the system to look there;

so to get the needed ppd file, go here https://www.konicaminolta.eu/en/busines ... loads.html and click to download and SAVE what today is BH423PPDLinux_100000000MU.zip

It should end up in your Downloads folder; now open a terminal; ( hold down three keys control and alt and t); copy each command below; paste each command into the terminal and hit the ENTER key after each paste; paste in a terminal is three keys: control and shift and v ...whereas in programmes it is control and v

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

unzip BH423PPDLinux_100000000MU.zip

cd BH423PPDLinux_100000000/English/CUPS1.2

cp KO423opn.ppd /usr/share/ppd/
so that final command is attempting to copy what I think is the needed ppd file to where it should be stored; for Mint to find it; and use it

now you go to the PRINTERS folder; find it from the MENU bottom left; on mine, it is inside ADMINISTRATION

click the big ADD button top-left; let it look for the printer; an option should appear somewhere to "USE PPD FILE"

you may need to point it to /usr/share/ppd (I don't do enough of this on my system to be practised at it ..)

but that is the rudiments of what you need; (I think)
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

What an amazingly detailed post. Thank you for taking the time to lay it out in such simple terms for me. I am following your steps, but unfortunately, when I get to the last one in the terminal I get the following message:

"cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/share/ppd/KO423opn.ppd': Permission denied"

I don't understand this as I am using the account that I set up Linux with. The only other user on this laptop is a guest account for my daughter.

Sorry to keep bothering you guys!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

sorry; if you open a terminal;

and do

cd Downloads/BH423PPDLinux_100000000/English/CUPS1.2
that should get you back inside that directory; then do

sudo cp KO423opn.ppd /usr/share/ppd/

.... that is adding the sudo and that should allow things to happen!
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

Really appreciate your help, but unfortunately it is still giving me the permission denied message. I did the two commands you posted, when adding the sudo it asked for my password which I typed in, but when trying to add the last command - sudo cp KO423opn.ppd /usr/share/ppd/ - it gives the same error message - cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/share/ppd/KO423opn.ppd': Permission denied.

Noobs must really get on your wick! :lol:
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi lenny; things that don't work; often teach us things! so problems you have may end up illuminating our understanding!

if you open a terminal and do

and then do

ls
, please copy what you get and paste it back here
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

Hi,

Really appreciate you sticking with me!

Here you go:

lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC ~ $ cd Downloads/BH423PPDLinux_100000000/English/CUPS1.2
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC ~/Downloads/BH423PPDLinux_100000000/English/CUPS1.2 $ ls
KO423opn.ppd KO423UX.ppd
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC ~/Downloads/BH423PPDLinux_100000000/English/CUPS1.2 $

This is what I got.

Thanks for taking the time again!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

what about we do

sudo cp KO423opn.ppd KO423UX.ppd /usr/share/ppd
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

Hi pdc_2,s

This is what I got again:

lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC ~ $ cd Downloads/BH423PPDLinux_100000000/English/CUPS1.2
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC ~/Downloads/BH423PPDLinux_100000000/English/CUPS1.2 $ sudo cp KO423opn.ppd KO423UX.ppd /usr/share/ppd
[sudo] password for lee:
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC ~/Downloads/BH423PPDLinux_100000000/English/CUPS1.2 $ cp KO423opn.ppd /usr/share/ppd/
cp: cannot create regular file '/usr/share/ppd/KO423opn.ppd': Permission denied
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC ~/Downloads/BH423PPDLinux_100000000/English/CUPS1.2 $

Thanks.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

if you open a terminal and do

cd /usr/share/ppd
and then

ls
do either of these ppd files appear there?

If not, if you do

then

sudo cp KO423UX.ppd /usr/share/ppd
...... any joy? .. for what it's worth, it is fine on our Mint system
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

Hi there,

yes they are listed like this:

lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC ~ $ cd /usr/share/ppd
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC /usr/share/ppd $ ls
cupsfilters custom hplip KO423opn.ppd KO423UX.ppd OpenPrinting-KONICA_MINOLTA
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC /usr/share/ppd $
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Konica Minolta bizhub 283 cp command

Post by pdc_2 »

indeed;

so if you do the final command I suggested

sudo cp KO423UX.ppd /usr/share/ppd
what happens now?
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

I get this:

lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC ~ $ cd /usr/share/ppd
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC /usr/share/ppd $ ls
cupsfilters custom hplip KO423opn.ppd KO423UX.ppd OpenPrinting-KONICA_MINOLTA
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC /usr/share/ppd $ sudo cp KO423UX.ppd /usr/share/ppd
[sudo] password for lee:
cp: 'KO423UX.ppd' and '/usr/share/ppd/KO423UX.ppd' are the same file
lee@lee-HP-Pavilion-15-Notebook-PC /usr/share/ppd $
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

my apologies; my mistake;

you had already successfully copied the 2 ppd files: well done; I misread your previous post; apologies

so now if you go to the PRINTERS folder; (usually inside the ADMINISTRATION folder);

click ADD top-left; in the PRINTERS box; let it search around; if it says .. do you mean this Konica ... then say yes and start off on the trail ..

there should be a button where you can say .. do you want to use a ppd file ...... you do ...... so say yes and then when it asks where is this ppd file you want to use, try the 'KO423UX.ppd one which you saved into /usr/share/ppd

let it go on and do the configure; (before you start the above, delete any existing icon for the Konica in that PRINTERS folder; as; if it does not work, you do not want it remaining ... and confusing things ......... seems to me ..)

.. it should work by pointing to the correct ppd ..
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

Hi,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help on this.

I followed your steps.

1) Clicked 'add' and if I click 'network printer' sure enough there is a Konica 423 listed (mine is a 283 but assuming they run on same drivers then?)
2) I selected the Konica 423 and then clicked 'forward'
3) Gave me the option of editing 'describe printer' page - I left these as were.
4) After about 2 seconds it asked me if I wanted to print a test page - i clicked 'print test page'
5) It submitted the job, but nothing happened on the printer - eventually a message 'are you sure your printer is connected' came up.
6) by this point i had not been given an option to select a PPD file. so under make and model I clicked 'change' next to it.
7) i clicked provide PPD file, and selected the file you mentioned under that folder.
8) i clicked 'use the new PPD'
9) it came up with an 'installable options' window. however, apply is greyed out. I have tried to change some of the options, but no matter what I do - 'apply' remains greyed out. i can only cancel.
10) i tried the same with 'try to copy the option settings over' and that gives me the same problems with the installable options page.
11) i clicked cancel and tried to print another test page with no luck.

Screenshots of the above steps provided (when they want to actually upload!)

I think i am just destined for failure!!

I really hate the idea of giving microsoft my money grrrr.

Hope you see something simple I may have done wrong here! Thanks again for sticking with me.
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

steps 1-3
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

steps 4-6
lenny01

Post by lenny01 »

steps 7-9 (i duplicated a photo hence number 8 missing!)

Thanks again :)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”