Scanning with 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frankt

Scanning with 18.3

Post by frankt »

The results of inxi -xS for my system is:

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: hpDeskMint Kernel: 4.15.0-30-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 5.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia 
  base: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

My printer is a HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 connected wirelessly to my local network.

Simple Scan and Xsane did not work to scan an advertisement I wanted to send to my daughter-in-law.

I ran hp-check and got six pages of output in a log file. The log file showed 14 errors and 1 warning.

Warning: [01mlinuxmin-18.3 version is not supported. Using linuxmint 17.3 versions dependencies to verity and install...[0m
The errors were for missing/incompatible packages. I installed as many of the packages as I could. Some could not be located in the repositories.

The version of hpcups I was using was 3.16.3. From the website http://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/ I downloaded hplip-3.16.7. There is a shell file,
hplip-3.16.7.run, which I made sure was executable by clicking on properties, and checking the box under permissions. I then executed the file with

sh hplip-3.16.7.run
I accepted the default options when presented with a choice. I was able to get my printers IP address from its setup menu. I used it to state that the printer was directly connected to my computer via the wireless network.

After going though the setup for hplip-3.16.7, I was able to use Simple Scan to scan the ad I wanted to send.

I hope this helps you get the scanning function of your printer working with 18.3.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Scanning with 18.3

Post by newbi462 »

How the heck do you make these files run right?
when I try and make the hplip run I get

$ sh hplip-3.20.9.run
Creating directory hplip-3.20.9
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 3.20.9 Self Extracting Archive..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.20.9)
HPLIP Installer ver. 5.1

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Installer log saved in: hplip-install_Thu-15-Oct-2020_17:07:46.log

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/omega/Downloads/Printers/hplip-3.20.9/base/password.py", line 85, in get_distro_name
    os_name = platform.dist()[0]
AttributeError: module 'platform' has no attribute 'dist'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./install.py", line 241, in <module>
    text_install.start(language, auto, test_depends, test_unknown, assume_network, max_retries, enable, disable)
  File "/home/omega/Downloads/Printers/hplip-3.20.9/installer/text_install.py", line 63, in start
    core = CoreInstall(MODE_INSTALLER, INTERACTIVE_MODE)
  File "/home/omega/Downloads/Printers/hplip-3.20.9/installer/core_install.py", line 241, in __init__
    self.passwordObj = password.Password(ui_mode)
  File "/home/omega/Downloads/Printers/hplip-3.20.9/base/password.py", line 118, in __init__
    self.__readAuthType()  # self.__authType
  File "/home/omega/Downloads/Printers/hplip-3.20.9/base/password.py", line 141, in __readAuthType
    distro_name = get_distro_name().lower().replace(" ","")
  File "/home/omega/Downloads/Printers/hplip-3.20.9/base/password.py", line 87, in get_distro_name
    import distro
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'distro'

Return to “Printers & Scanners”