{SOLVED}Canon wifi printer lacks drivers on mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

{SOLVED}Canon wifi printer lacks drivers on mint

Post by foxtreat »

To the point
Bought a canon TS5150 printer
Set it up
Mint 18.3 finds it when i open printers and add it
No ppd file can b3 found on disk or online
Uaing the recomended option(gemeric printer) has only one working option
Generic IPP printer with duplex on
The printer prints succesfuly with those settings
However ALL BLACK is white and ALL WHITE is black.it also does not print with color.turning it to color(8 or 16 bit all settings) just spits out blank paper
Test page has the same issue.photos aswell as documents

Selecting canon does not find any of the TS models.the models with the closest name (MG5150) make the printer say processing and does not react .

This is on 2 mint 18.3 laptops

A third laptop running the latest lubuntu however does not have the issue.selecting canon has all the TS models including mine.And printing works flawlessly

How can i fix this.is it possible to move the drivers from the lubuntu pc to the others?
Thw lubuntu is 32 bit
Its kernel is 4.15
The first mint is 4.13 and can not be updated as i have to have NOMSI kernel parameters on.and my laptop needa a custom wifi driver and reinstalling all that will be a pain.aswrll as i suffer from great loss of performance in 4.15
The second mint 18.3 has 4.4 kernel

It works on windows 7(and windows 10) without this issue
Is there any fix without reinstalling into ubuntu?i dislike its interface

Online solutions included adding some ubuntu PPAs however they did not support my pc somehow
Please help me as i will have to either return the printer or install ubuntu in less than 3 days(retuen policy lasts that long)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Steam and Gaming bröther
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon wifi printer lacks drivers on mint

Post by pdc_2 »

sorry to hear of your problems;

Mint 19 introduced airprint support; the hope was Mint would then set up all airprint compatible printers automatically; I get the sense it is not all as sparkling as one might hope .. so I am thinking the one that is not good; is airprint; (also called driverless ..)

Can I suggest you install the drivers that Canon supply? I always feel they have a slight edge here, as they make the machines too ..

So go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 10801.html and click to download and SAVE what will be cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb.tar.gz

open a terminal; (black TV screen on bottom line): copy the commands below; 1 by 1; Paste into the terminal; hit the enter key

(Paste in the terminal is three keys held down: shift and control and v whereas paste in most programmes is control and v )

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb.tar.gz

cd cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb

sudo ./install.sh
and that last command runs the install script that 1) installs the drivers and 2) registers the printer with lpadmin;

Before you start; open the PRINTERS folder; (ie go to menu bottom left; up to ADMINISTRATION and find PRINTERS inside that ..)
then see the name of the existing icon for your TS; 'coz the install script above will likely create a new one: you want to know which is which: I hope the Canon driver will be the good one!) We hope all goes well for you

(This all assumes your printer is already "inside" your network and accepted by the router ..
foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Canon wifi printer lacks drivers on mint

Post by foxtreat »

pdc_2 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:35 pm sorry to hear of your problems;

Mint 19 introduced airprint support; the hope was Mint would then set up all airprint compatible printers automatically; I get the sense it is not all as sparkling as one might hope .. so I am thinking the one that is not good; is airprint; (also called driverless ..)

Can I suggest you install the drivers that Canon supply? I always feel they have a slight edge here, as they make the machines too ..

So go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 10801.html and click to download and SAVE what will be cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb.tar.gz

open a terminal; (black TV screen on bottom line): copy the commands below; 1 by 1; Paste into the terminal; hit the enter key

(Paste in the terminal is three keys held down: shift and control and v whereas paste in most programmes is control and v )

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb.tar.gz

cd cnijfilter2-5.50-1-deb

sudo ./install.sh
and that last command runs the install script that 1) installs the drivers and 2) registers the printer with lpadmin;

Before you start; open the PRINTERS folder; (ie go to menu bottom left; up to ADMINISTRATION and find PRINTERS inside that ..)
then see the name of the existing icon for your TS; 'coz the install script above will likely create a new one: you want to know which is which: I hope the Canon driver will be the good one!) We hope all goes well for you

(This all assumes your printer is already "inside" your network and accepted by the router ..
THANK YOU ALOT
this fixed said issue,my googling around in canon's site and open source websites about drivers yelded no result for my model and make
thank you!
Steam and Gaming bröther
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: {SOLVED}Canon wifi printer lacks drivers on mint

Post by pdc_2 »

well done; pleased to help; thanks also for the SOLVED .. enjoy what seems a very good printer!
wb6pio

Post by wb6pio »

With Mint 19.1 "tessa" I tried the approach outlined above but that did not work for my Canon printer MG3220. The ./install script says "Could not detect the target printer." Is there a different file for the MG3220? If so, I cannot find one at that Canon site or on other sites where I've looked.

The printer works fine wired through a USB line, but when I search for help printing on a wireless network one Canon site says "we don't have a Linux driver for your printer, or else maybe you don't need one."

There appears to be nothing wrong with the printer's connexion on the local wireless network, because I can print wirelessly from an Apple lap-top.

I'd be grateful for any sage advice! Thanks and happy new year.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

CUPS 2.2.4 at least is needed for driverless printing. If

lpstat -e 
did not enumerate the networked printer, this would be a serious bug in CUPS. It does not appear the OP went along a driverless printing route, which very much sparkles here.
--
Brian.
n4ev
Level 1
Level 1

Post by n4ev »

I'm having the same problem with a new wireless Canon printer. I tried the commands posted and Tar came back with Error2 and quit.
Couldn't file the deb file. I can print from my smart phone and the router sees the printer, but no files go to the printer. HP did NOT
want to help so I took their printer back and bought a Canon. Getting quite frustrated.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

@n4ev

Say what your printer model is and post the results of

lpstat -e
and

lpstat -a