Canon TS3122 - how do i get this set up wirelessly

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fargodwe
Level 3
Level 3

Canon TS3122 - how do i get this set up wirelessly

Post by fargodwe »

I purchased a Canon TS3122 MFP wireless inkjet printer from Walmart last week. I have got the printing to work if connected by USB using the driver from Canon's site. I installed the Canon scanner driver as well but the computer doesn't see it.

I got this to use wirelessly but can't find anything on HOW to set the printer itself to be wireless, after which I assume I would see it on the network.

I would appreciate any help on getting the device to be wireless and also get the scanning working.

Linux Mint 19, Mate desktop (and that's about all I know ;) )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon TS3122 - how do i get this set up wirelessly

Post by pdc_2 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSYyFIhBl5k

so if you have a wireless router; you need to "do its protections" so it can talk to the printer;

this video clip may give you the idea;

once the printer and router are talking to each other nicely;

then if you go to the PRINTERS folder; (that is inside the ADMINISTRATION folder); there is an ADD button;

(I suggest doing this because the Canon drivers seem already to be installed:)

if you click the ADD button; and select Network Printer; the system should now look and find the printer talking wirelessly to the computer; and set it up as an extra icon; to the Usb one you have already established ..
fargodwe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fargodwe »

Thanks for the reply. Alas the video is as all the other information - using a Windows computer.

I really need to know how to set it up via the printer stand-alone. I know the routers various addresses, security, etc., and just need a way to set the printer up without it being connected to the PC.

EDIT: I should add that the internet service I am using uses wimax and there is a button on it for the auto-connection. I might be forced to put my own router out from one of the ports on the wimax box just so I can get this control if nobody has any other ideas. I just hate compounding the hardware just to get this working.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I think my sense was that by pressing the nominated buttons: that made the printer be able to "talk to the router":

eg on some older printers, Canon provided this https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consume ... ion_setup/

googling, for your TS, I find this from Canon https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index? ... 9096837610

that is pretty similar to the above: sounds as though you can't drop the WPS on your router?
fargodwe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fargodwe »

The wimax "box" has no button for that, so I connected another router off one of it's ethernet ports. Using that router I was able to access the printer wirelessly. However I still can't "see" the scanner. Same thing happened when it was direct connected to my PC.

At least the wireless is solved!

Thanks!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon TS3122 use the Canon ScanGearMP2 driver to scan

Post by pdc_2 »

TS_series.png
so fargodwe: well done to the get the device going;

to use open-source drivers, one uses SANE and they need testers for the TS series;
please join the mailing list: they are nice, helpful people and as you have the hardware, you can help the linux community: contact them here https://alioth-lists.debian.net/cgi-bin ... sane-devel

<<<<<<<
meanwhile, use the drivers canon supply for the device: so go here https://www.canon-europe.com/support/co ... anguage=EN

and click to download and SAVE what will be scangearmp2-3.50-1-deb.tar.gz
then open a terminal; copy each command below; paste each line into the terminal; hit the ENTER key after each paste

Code: Select all

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf scangearmp2-3.50-1-deb.tar.gz

cd scangearmp2-3.50-1-deb

sudo ./install.sh
and that will install ScanGearMP2 for you ..... to get it to work, do this in a terminal

[quote]scangearmp2[/quote]
and if it works well, you need to set up a launcher

....... you right-click on the bottom toolbar; if there is space; ADD TO PANEL; then CUSTOM APPLICATION LAUNCHER and the command must be
scangearmp2
fargodwe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fargodwe »

Been unavailable for a while so sorry this is late. I was able to scan using the scangearmp2 program from Cannon, but I am going to try the open source drivers as I would prefer to be able to access it with sane, through LibreOffice, etc.

Thanks!
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Canon TS3122 please help SANE by becoming a tester

Post by pdc_2 »

I am going to try the open source drivers
...... I fear I have not made myself clear;

as I understand it; the open-source drivers are not warranted to work for the TS that I list in the picture in the previous post: they need testers to help them; you could play a big role in doing that; if you help them; you can then use the open-source drivers; that do not work now; please help the community by contacting the nice, helpful guys at SANE (open-source scanning software)
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

If you already installed the printer and scanner drivers from the Canon website

https://www.canon-europedrivers.com/can ... -download/

ScanGear MP Ver. 3.50 for Linux (Debian Packagearchive) — Linux 32-64Bit

and

TS3122 IJ Printer Driver Ver. 5.50 for Linux (Debian Packagearchive) — Linux 32-64Bit

In order to use the scanner you have to open the terminal and type in scangearmp2
this will bring up the scanner

I have the TS3120 and it works flawlessly and I used the drivers from the above website
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I was able to scan using the scangearmp2 program from Cannon
.. 3 posts above

Return to “Printers & Scanners”