Printers don't work with Mint 19

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cdgoldin

Printers don't work with Mint 19

Post by cdgoldin »

After installing Mint 19, and my OKI C330dn and HP1606dn printers, neither work. The OKI will print a "self-test page", but not a "test page", or anything else. The HP will print a blank sheet in all cases. Under "settings" the HP is set to color (which it doesn't have) and the setting can't be changed. Note that HP's installer (hplip-3.18.7.run) says that Mint 19 is NOT supported!
If Mint 19 doesn't support OKIdata and HP printers, or they don't support Mint 19, are we supposed to replace our printers with some off brand, just for the honor of having the latest-and-greatest?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Printers don't work with Mint 19

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

last week i installed not only mint 19 on a friends system but went back next day as he tried to hook up his 1 yr old HP officejet pro 6970 printer with zero success...needless to say, by using the instructions EXACTLY as outlined in "easy linux" i had it up and running in about 5 minutes...read ALL the instructions carefully, then apply them for your HP printer and it should work for you too...the link is provided below...DAMIEN

ps... Installing HPLIP Toolbox (hplp-gui) is sometimes necessary to get your HP printer or scanner up and running.(that is in the link below as how to do) also, by simply opening synaptic package manager and clicking on search then entering the word printers, you can install drivers from there as well...i looked for okidata on there and found that there is an entry there as well for installing the oki drivers as well as a miriad of other brand name printers, all one needs to do is look.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/14
cdgoldin

Post by cdgoldin »

Last week i installed not only mint 19 on a friends system but went back next day as he tried to hook up his 1 yr old HP officejet pro 6970 printer with zero success...needless to say, by using the instructions EXACTLY as outlined in "easy linux" i had it up and running in about 5 minutes
Obviously your experience does not coincide with mine, or that of many others, "needless to say".
...read ALL the instructions carefully, then apply them for your HP printer and it should work for you too...the link is provided below...DAMIEN
Thank you for ASSuming that I don't follow instructions carefully (even when they are as poorly written an inaccurate as the article you cite). One might also inquire why the instructions do not coincide with those given by HP --- who states explicitly that HPLIP (the same HPLIP that is used by the "instructions" you cite) does NOT support Mint 19. And, indeed, it does not. In fact, it "crashes" while flashing a "missing dependency" message which is completely hidden by the method given in the "instructions" you cite.
ps... Installing HPLIP Toolbox (hplp-gui) is sometimes necessary to get your HP printer or scanner up and running.(that is in the link below as how to do) also, by simply opening synaptic package manager and clicking on search then entering the word printers, you can install drivers from there as well...i looked for okidata on there and found that there is an entry there as well for installing the oki drivers as well as a miriad of other brand name printers, all one needs to do is look.
If things were as simple as you claim, there would be no need for hundreds of forums on the various intricacies and things that DON'T WORK as documented. The "instructions" you cite are a prime example of the latter.
Please note that I had no trouble getting both printers to work with Mint 18.3 (or printers on over 200 different computer systems since 1956), and I'm well aware of the existence of "an [inaccurate and unhelpful] entry for installing OKI drivers". So please don't patronize. If you have constructive advice, offer it. Otherwise, don't.
Last edited by cdgoldin on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

cdgoldin wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:14 am Thank you for ASSuming

So please don't patronize. If you have constructive advice,offer it. Otherwise, don't.
Good luck getting help.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP 1606 and OKI

Post by pdc_2 »

so cdgoldin; welcome to the forums; sorry to hear of the troubles you are having:

tell us how these devices are connected: ie usb or wireless? (I ask because 2 usb connections can be tricky ..)

if we look at the HP first; HP say it need hplip > 3.10 so any recent Mint will have a perfectly good version of hplip; so no need for 3.18.7

if you do

Code: Select all

hp-setup
in a terminal; does that initiate a check for you? That should really set up a driver for you

<<<<<<<<<

for the Oki, from here https://www.oki.com/eu/printing/support ... 3&lang=ac2

they offer a ppd file

from here, https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... tu-337393/
installed ppds are in /etc/cups/ppd. The database is in /usr/share/ppd.
so if one downloads a ppd file, it should end up in that ppd directory, that is inside /usr/share/

looks like it comes down as OKC330_a.ppd_31047.gz so from here http://www.rebol.com/docs/unpack-tar-gz.html

the commands should

cd Downloads

gunzip OKC330_a.ppd_31047.gz
and that produces OKC330_a.ppd
so

cp OKC330_a.ppd /usr/share/ppd
to check it is there, do

cd /usr/share/ppd
then do

ls
and so that is small l small s asking the system to LIST what is in that directory

<<
next go to PRINTERS folder; click the big ADD button; let it find the printer; then you use the USE PPD FILE variant; when MInt asks where it is, point it to the right place; then it should set up things and there should be an icon in the PRINTERS folder; check you don't now have two: delete the one that doesn't work

(Mint should put a copy of your ppd file into /etc/cups/ppd as well, as that is where the install ppd files should be)
1606.png
cdgoldin

Post by cdgoldin »

catweazel wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:15 am Good luck getting help.
What you offered was insulting and completely unhelpful. Thank you.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

cdgoldin wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:01 am What you offered was insulting and completely unhelpful.
If that's how you feel, it's best to ignore it and instead focus (in the positive) on those who are trying to help you despite your attitude. You were asked to supply details, but chose to sneer at someone else instead; not the best use of your time and energy. Also not a great way to get help.
Nevertheless, I join Catweazel in wishing you good luck.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cdgoldin

Re: HP 1606 and OKI

Post by cdgoldin »

pdc_2 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:43 am tell us how these devices are connected: ie usb or wireless? (I ask because 2 usb connections can be tricky ..)
Neither. They are both connected to the router via CAT5 wire. But why should USB (or any) connections be "tricky". Everything should be plug and play, after installing the correct drivers --- which apparently do NOT support Mint 19.
if we look at the HP first; HP say it need hplip > 3.10 so any recent Mint will have a perfectly good version of hplip; so no need for 3.18.7
If the version included with Mint (or any version prior to 3.18.7) worked, I wouldn't have gone to HP's website and downloaded 3.18.7 --- and HP says to use the latest drivers, not 3.10.
if you do

hp-setup
in a terminal; does that initiate a check for you? That should really set up a driver for you
Obviously, a driver was "set up". The problem is the the driver DOES NOT SUPPORT MINT 19.
for the Oki, from here https://www.oki.com/eu/printing/support ... ac2...they offer a ppd file
I obtained the driver (that doesn't work) from that website. I also obtained generic drivers from Oki support (that don't work). Obviously it doesn't support Mint 19.
installed ppds are in /etc/cups/ppd. The database is in /usr/share/ppd.so if one downloads a ppd file, it should end up in that ppd directory, that is inside /usr/share/

Both the HP and the OKI ppds are in /etc/cups/ppd. They are not in usr/share/ppd, nor am I aware of any reason they need to be.
looks like it comes down as OKC330_a.ppd_31047.gz so from here http://www.rebol.com/docs/unpack-tar-gz.html
Actually, OKC330_a.ppd_31047.gz is IDENTICAL to the previous 12 "versions", which I determined by doing a text compare of the files. And NONE of them work on Mint 19.
the commands should be ...
Thank you. I am already aware how to extract a file from a .gz file, and have done so. The extracted driver DOES NOT WORK ON MINT 19.
so "cp OKC330_a.ppd /usr/share/ppd"
to check it is there, do "cd /usr/share/ppd" then do "ls" and so that is small l small s asking the system to LIST what is in that directory
Why copy it to /usr/share, when the "Menu > Administrator > Printers >Add Printer" allows browsing to the current .ppd location? And why do an "ls" to verify that "cp" works?
next go to PRINTERS folder; click the big ADD button; let it find the printer; then you use the USE PPD FILE variant; when MInt asks where it is, point it to the right place; then it should set up things and there should be an icon in the PRINTERS folder; check you don't now have two: delete the one that doesn't work
Thank you. I am well aware how to ADD a printer to Linux Mint, having done so with every release since Mint 14. And, as noted above, both of these printers installed just fine with Mint 18.3. The problem is obviously that there is something different in Mint 19 that is unsupported by the latest drivers --- as HP explicitly states.
(Mint should put a copy of your ppd file into /etc/cups/ppd as well, as that is where the install ppd files should be)1606.png
Thank you. They are both there. The problem is not the absence of drivers, or the incorrect installation of drivers. The problem is that the drivers do not support Mint 19 (as HP explicitly states) and therefore Mint 19 does not support these printers. In the absence of a "supported hardware" list, we would have to guess, even if we are willing to replace hardware for the honor of using Mint 19.
Last edited by cdgoldin on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
cdgoldin

Post by cdgoldin »

Moem wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:15 am
cdgoldin wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:01 am What you offered was insulting and completely unhelpful.
If that's how you feel, it's best to ignore it and instead focus (in the positive) on those who are trying to help you despite your attitude. You were asked to supply details, but chose to sneer at someone else instead; not the best use of your time and energy. Also not a great way to get help.
Nevertheless, I join Catweazel in wishing you good luck.
1) Despite MY attitude? I reported a PROBLEM with Linux Mint 19. I did not ask for insulting "advice". If there is an offensive attitude it is on the part of "Catweazel".
2) What details was I asked to supply? I was told to follow directions, implying that I had not. I was referred to a website whose inaccurate procedures do NOT solve the problem reported, and whose inaccurate procedures HIDE the explicit statement by HP that their driver does NOT support Mint 19. If it worked on Catweazel's friend's printer, that is a stroke of luck, not evidence of non-existent support.
3) I didn't sneer at anyone. I replied politely to a series of insults with facts. Nothing in my reply in any way constituted sneering. And, in marked contrast to the "advice" to which I replied, nothing in my reply was insulting.
4) I interpreted Catweazel's "wishing me luck" as sarcastic, just as I interpreted his patronizing emphasis on following directions, and his irrelevant claim that he had been able to install a different printer in five minutes, despite HP stating their driver does NOT support Mint 19, as insulting.
5) Thank YOU for your good wishes. But it will take a change to Mint 19, or new drivers from both OKI and HP, to address the problem I reported. Not luck.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

This can be done in Mint 19, it just may take a bit of effort on your part.

Check out how I solved the problem (of a printer not being supported by LM) in this post.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Instead of "printers don't work with Mint 19 you might try "I have not been able to get my printers to work with Mint 19." I can assure you that there are many, many printers that work with Min 19, and I would bet that your printers are among them.

So far you have given us basically nothing to go on. You haven't told us in any detail what you have tried, except for installing a newer version of HPLIP which isn't needed. Your HP printer requires HPLIP 3.10.4, and Mint 19 comes with HPLIP 3.17.10, so you're good there, except for one thing: That particular requires a driver plugin. This page will give you some information on how to install it:

https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imag ... lugin.html

Have you installed that plugin yet?

When you have problems getting something to work, it is best to tell us exactly what you have tried, what the results were, whether you got any error messages and if you did exactly what the error messages said, and so on. Also, it is best to drop the attitude before you get here. If you're willing to drop it now, and give us some details on what you have tried and what happened when you tried it, I'm sure somebody can help you get both of those printers going.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

cdgoldin wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:37 am 1) Despite MY attitude? I reported a PROBLEM with Linux Mint 19. I did not ask for insulting "advice". If there is an offensive attitude it is on the part of "Catweazel".
2) What details was I asked to supply? I was told to follow directions, implying that I had not. I was referred to a website whose inaccurate procedures do NOT solve the problem reported, and whose inaccurate procedures HIDE the explicit statement by HP that their driver does NOT support Mint 19. If it worked on Catweazel's friend's printer, that is a stroke of luck, not evidence of non-existent support.
3) I didn't sneer at anyone. I replied politely to a series of insults with facts. Nothing in my reply in any way constituted sneering. And, in marked contrast to the "advice" to which I replied, nothing in my reply was insulting.
4) I interpreted Catweazel's "wishing me luck" as sarcastic, just as I interpreted his patronizing emphasis on following directions, and his irrelevant claim that he had been able to install a different printer in five minutes, despite HP stating their driver does NOT support Mint 19, as insulting.
5) Thank YOU for your good wishes. But it will take a change to Mint 19, or new drivers from both OKI and HP, to address the problem I reported. Not luck.
Not wishing to inflame the situation here, I feel that I must remind you that I provided you with no advice whatsoever, made no suggestion that you follow instructions, nor did I make any claims whatsoever.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi catweazel...its me he is referring to...i already give up on this OP...when trying to give genuine help to someone and to be treated as such, i just do not bother...if i was the type to put up with attitudes, i would not have gotten a divorce...lol...DAMIEN

Return to “Printers & Scanners”