Improving Scanner drivers in LM19 TARA

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
u9477100
Level 1
Level 1

Improving Scanner drivers in LM19 TARA

Post by u9477100 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:31 am

I am very new to Linux though I have some experience in Ubuntu. Now I am using dual boot between Windows 10 and LM 19. I am using 'HP all in one 2545' scanner printer along with Xerox Laser Printer. Printers are running excellent in LM 19 especially the Laser one (which would have been making problem in Windows 10 as it is very old) But with the Scanner in HP I am not happy. The Simple Scan is good and effective but cannot resize scanned object when it is a postage size photo or like that. I tried with HPLIP but could not install its current version 3.18.7. Installed version is 3.17.10. However, HPLIP is non functioning unless simple scan is installed. I tried SANE & XSane. Xsane has three windows very difficult to manage, yet it would have served my purpose if the scanning could have been done. In Xsane scan starts but scanning only the heading of a full page text and the matter is not clear.

For more details: my mobo is Gigabyte B85-D3H dual boot 64bit , Processor: i-5 @ 3.10 Ghz X4, Memory 8GB, OS; Linux-mint ver 3.8.8 Printer Hewlett Packard all in one 2545 deskjet.
Can anyone suggest me a good scanner application which might solve my problem. I thought to switch over to LM fully but for some petty hitches like this one I have to keep dual booting.
Thanks in advance

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Improving Scanner drivers in LM19 TARA

Post by deepakdeshp » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:48 am

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

hplip version on Mint 19

Post by pdc_2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:40 pm

so Xsane has the most features; I don't think you can do better;

so we if look at hplip:

1) did you install a newer version of hplip please? (I don't know which version of hplip comes with 19)

with xsane, it has a preview screen; and so I use that; and I can re-size the area I want to scan; then I go the SCAN button to get the detailed scan; and I can specify where to save; and a host of preferences; I mention all that just to ask: you found all these things did you?

(I am asking about hplip versions because karlchen on the forum here documented some time ago that if one adds a new version of hplip; over the top of an existing version, that the scanning function does not work well)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”