HP Quality

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

HP Quality

Post by borgward »

How has HP's printer reputation been doing? I still have a Lazerjet 1100 running. It's about bombproof. Last year I acquired an HP Officejet 6500 wireless for $3.00. Worked great. I had always been skeptical about all in 1 units. Very handy. I can use it as a copier instead of invoking up xsane, turning on my scanner just to copy something. I now have about $100 of new ink cartridges in it and the clutch assy went out. I found another 6500 for $9.99. Seems fine except no wireless and the Ethernet port is out. I complained to HP about Spending $100 for ink and then I can't use it, and there not being a service manual available for it. They gave me a $75 coupon towards a new printer. I am looking at a HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer T0F29A#B1H - $89 - $75, free shipping. That's worth a gamble. I've looked at customer reviews of recent HP printers. About half of them are very negative, they malfunction after a short time, HP has lousy foot dragging service. I noticed their web pages are very convoluted. Anybody building decent consumer grade printers?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: HP Quality

Post by Pjotr »

HP is fine; good build quality. Still the safest choice for Linux nowadays, due to excellent Linux support. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:13 pm HP is fine; good build quality.
Check out Amazon customer ratings for HP's current printers. The reviews are half good and about half very negative. Maybe like Dell their business grade stuff is better and gets better support than consumer grade. I always had a high regard for HP Printers until recently.

Pjotr wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:13 pm Still the safest choice for Linux nowadays, due to excellent Linux support. :)
I am glad you brought that up. That is definitely in their favor. Seems a shame a printer could get junked because of a minor thing not getting fixed. Seems like it would make better business sense to let the old stuff continue running so they could sell more ink at a high margin instead of selling me a new $189 printer that I am going to pay $14 for. They will have to sell a bit of ink to make up that loss. Know where I can get a Service manual PDF for the 6500?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

borgward wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:21 pm Know where I can get a Service manual PDF for the 6500?
Don't know.... Try the support section of the HP website.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Here's a youtube video on disassembly, lots more there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjqHFN-da8M

Also here are several manuals:
https://www.eserviceinfo.com/index.php? ... 00+printer
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Joe2Shoe wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:37 pm Here's a youtube video on disassembly, lots more there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjqHFN-da8M
That's a good start. Seen it before. I need to go further than that. I may need to work on the paper feed roller. That white gear visible near the end of the video I believe is attached to it. It does not seem to want to rotate freely. I think that is why the gear on the clutch assy cracked.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Canon supply a variety of good inkjet printers

Post by pdc_2 »

just to provide another viewpoint; Canon make good MF devices;

eg https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... 020-white/

they provide debian and rpm and source code drivers; so setup is quick; these TS series are all airprint-compatible; (AC) so Mint 19 should set up a driver automatically;

HP ...... there are many enthusiasts who enthusiastially sing their praises; but paradoxically, we see quite a lot of requests for help on the printers forum; and I not sure they can all be resolved; they seem to produce a welter of new products; and a sticking point is installing a new version of hplip: one seems to need a very thorough purge of the old version otherwise the scanner does not seem to work;

Epson and Brother seem to struggle with scanner support at times; some are very fortunate with whatever brand they buy: all will be good; others will struggle
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

We've had a Canon Pixma MX340 AIO for over 10 years and still working fine. At first on LM17/LM18, I had to install the drivers manually, but with LM19 the drivers are included in the kernel. Works like a charm.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

Return to “Printers & Scanners”