printing problems with Mint 19 and HP Laser Jet 1320n

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

printing problems with Mint 19 and HP Laser Jet 1320n

Post by bearzlos »

Sorry for the length of this post but I want to be sure to include as much "helpful" information as possible to assist the gurus.

I just moved from SuSE to Mint 19 and I'm finding a number of transition issues in the move. (I posted yesterday regarding problems editing existing Libre Office Impress slides.)

Please note. I love Mint. So this is not a complaint about Mint but, rather, a request for help understanding my printer which worked flawlessly with SuSE but no longer works as it did.

Mint 19 offers 8 drivers for the HP 1320 and 2 drivers for my 1320n. Supposedly these two printers are virtually the same so drivers listed for one should work for the other (supposedly). Mint 19 defaults to the 1320.

I cannot get e-mail headers to print. I've tried all 10 drivers. Documents print fine, but not e-mails.

Additionally there is something very strange with the print preview and print functions. I can call up an e-mail in "print preview" and on screen it looks great (except for the missing headers, of course). But when printed I get all sorts of bizarre results.

For example, a line in the e-mail might say: "Hi <name,> You have an opportunity waiting!" But when printed I get it in two lines as follows:

"Hi <name,>
oY (then maybe 20-30 characters of empty space) u have an opportunity waiting!"

So the line is broken and, "You" comes out "oY u"

Multiple other lines exhibit the same gibberish. "To" will come out "oT" as another example.

But then if I immediately again print the e-mail page it comes out perfectly (missing the headers, of course).

So it's as if the printer has a brain-fart before finally printing correctly.

I have the following installed:
hplip-gui
hplip
hp-ppd
printer-driver-hpcups
printer-driver-postscript-hp
cups
cups-ppdc

I searched the forums here and found some HP printing problem references from 2012 using Mint 13, but those were so old I did not think they would be applicable to Mint 19.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to 1) print headers and 2) fix the printer's "brainfarts."

Is there any console output I can provide that might give a clue(s)?

Thank you.
bearzlos
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP Laser Jet 1320n

Post by pdc_2 »

Hi; welcome to the forums;

looks like it needs > 0.9 version of hplip so the current is fine ..

Some of the drivers that Mint offers are presumably gutenprint derivatives: the open-source driver family

To use hplip itself, if you try

Code: Select all

hp-check
.. if it checks out ok, do

hp-setup
and see if that creates an icon;

(If you do that, perhaps delete any existing icons in the PRINTERS folder; as you say they don't work well ..)

Mint 19 comes directly from Ubuntu 18.04; that was intended to be a LTS ..... long-term support ...... variant; ideally aimed to stability; but Ubuntu has been a very busy distro for a while; we see a number of printing issues with the new release; we can only hope things will settle
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Re: printing problems with Mint 19 and HP Laser Jet 1320n

Post by bearzlos »

Oh, I may have a real mess. Lots of errors in the External, General, and Missing Dependencies sections. Here is the output of hp-check. How do I find and install the missing or incorrect dependencies?
Thanks
bearzlos

gil@phred:~$ hp-check
Saving output in log file: /home/gil/hp-check.log

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.10)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 15.1

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Note: hp-check can be run in three modes:
1. Compile-time check mode (-c or --compile): Use this mode before compiling the
HPLIP supplied tarball (.tar.gz or .run) to determine if the proper dependencies
are installed to successfully compile HPLIP.                                    
2. Run-time check mode (-r or --run): Use this mode to determine if a distro    
supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc) or an already built HPLIP supplied tarball   
has the proper dependencies installed to successfully run.                      
3. Both compile- and run-time check mode (-b or --both) (Default): This mode    
will check both of the above cases (both compile- and run-time dependencies).   

Check types:                                                                    
a. EXTERNALDEP - External Dependencies                                          
b. GENERALDEP - General Dependencies (required both at compile and run time)    
c. COMPILEDEP - Compile time Dependencies                                       
d. [All are run-time checks]                                                    
PYEXT SCANCONF QUEUES PERMISSION                                                

Status Types:
    OK
    MISSING       - Missing Dependency or Permission or Plug-in
    INCOMPAT      - Incompatible dependency-version or Plugin-version

warning: 22-19 version is not supported. Using 22-18.2 versions dependencies to verify and install...

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

Kernel: 4.15.0-34-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 27 15:21:48 UTC 2018 GNU/Linux
 Host: phred
 Proc: 4.15.0-34-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 27 15:21:48 UTC 2018 GNU/Linux
 Distribution: 22 19
 Bitness: 64 bit

-----------------------
| HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
-----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.17.10
HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for 22 distro  19 version 

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
version=3.17.10

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd/hplip
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip
html=/usr/share/doc/hplip-doc
icon=no
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/share/cups/drv
bin=/usr/bin
apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
libusb01-build=no
pp-build=yes
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
hpijs-install=yes
foomatic-drv-install=yes
foomatic-ppd-install=yes
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
hpcups-install=yes
cups-drv-install=yes
cups-ppd-install=no
internal-tag=3.17.10
restricted-build=no
ui-toolkit=qt5
qt3=no
qt4=no
qt5=yes
policy-kit=yes
lite-build=no
udev_sysfs_rules=no
hpcups-only-build=no
hpijs-only-build=no
apparmor_build=no

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
Plugins are not installed. Could not access file: No such file or directory

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
[commands]
scan = /usr/bin/simple-scan %SANE_URI%

[fax]
email_address = 
voice_phone = 

[last_used]
device_uri = "hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1320_series?serial=00CNHC5DP0ZQ"
printer_name = hp_LaserJet_1320
working_dir = .

[polling]
device_list = 
enable = false
interval = 5

[refresh]
enable = false
rate = 30
type = 1

[settings]
systray_messages = 0
systray_visible = 0

[upgrade]
last_upgraded_time = 1535909336
notify_upgrade = true
pending_upgrade_time = 0

[installation]
date_time = 09/22/18 11:01:17
version = 3.17.10

<Package-name>        <Package-Desc>      <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status>   <Comment>

-------------------------
| External Dependencies |

error: cups          CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                           REQUIRED        1.1             -               INCOMPAT   'CUPS may not be installed or not running'
 gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.22            OK         -
 error: xsane         xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             -               MISSING    'xsane needs to be installed'
 scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                           OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.27          OK         -
 error: dbus          DBus - Message bus system                                    REQUIRED        -               1.12.2          MISSING    'DBUS may not be installed or not running'
 policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.105           OK         -
 network              network -wget                                                OPTIONAL        -               1.19.4          OK         -
 avahi-utils          avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               0.7             OK         -

------------------------
| General Dependencies |
------------------------

error: libjpeg       libjpeg - JPEG library                                       REQUIRED        -               -               MISSING    'libjpeg needs to be installed'
 error: cups-devel    CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files    REQUIRED        -               -               MISSING    'cups-devel needs to be installed'
 error: cups-image    CUPS image - CUPS image development files                    REQUIRED        -               -               MISSING    'cups-image needs to be installed'
 libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library                           REQUIRED        -               b'2.27'         OK         -
 error: libusb        libusb - USB library                                         REQUIRED        -               1.0             MISSING    'libusb needs to be installed'
 sane                 SANE - Scanning library                                      REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
 error: sane-devel    SANE - Scanning library development files                    REQUIRED        -               -               MISSING    'sane-devel needs to be installed'
 error: libnetsnmp-devel libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           -               MISSING    'libnetsnmp-devel needs to be installed'
 error: libcrypto     libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library                    REQUIRED        -               1.1.0           MISSING    'libcrypto needs to be installed'
 python3X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language          REQUIRED        2.2             3.6.6           OK         -
 error: python3-notify2 Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -               MISSING    'python3-notify2 needs to be installed'
 error: python3-pyqt4-dbus PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4                         OPTIONAL        4.0             -               MISSING    'python3-pyqt4-dbus needs to be installed'
 error: python3-pyqt4 PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x)         REQUIRED        4.0             -               MISSING    'python3-pyqt4 needs to be installed'
 python3-dbus         Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus                       REQUIRED        0.80.0          1.2.6           OK         -
 python3-xml          Python XML libraries                                         REQUIRED        -               2.2.5           OK         -
 error: python3-devel Python devel - Python development files                      REQUIRED        2.2             3.6.6           MISSING    'python3-devel needs to be installed'
 python3-pil          PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan) OPTIONAL        -               1.1.7           OK         -
 python3-reportlab    Reportlab - PDF library for Python                           OPTIONAL        2.0             3.4.0           OK         -

--------------
| COMPILEDEP |
--------------

error: libtool       libtool - Library building support services                  REQUIRED        -               -               MISSING    'libtool needs to be installed'
 error: gcc           gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler                         REQUIRED        -               7.3.0           MISSING    'gcc needs to be installed'
 make                 make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs       REQUIRED        3.0             4.1             OK         -

---------------------
| Python Extentions |
---------------------

cupsext              CUPS-Extension                                               REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -
 hpmudext             IO-Extension                                                 REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -

----------------------
| Scan Configuration |
----------------------

'/etc/sane.d/dll.d/hpaio' not found.
 hpaio                HPLIP-SANE-Backend                                           REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         'hpaio found in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'
 scanext              Scan-SANE-Extension                                          REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -

------------------------------
| DISCOVERED SCANNER DEVICES |

No Scanner found.

--------------------------
| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |

Device URI                        Model                  
  --------------------------------  -----------------------
  hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1320_series?  HP LaserJet 1320 series
  serial=00CNHC5DP0ZQ                                      

---------------------------------
| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |

hp_LaserJet_1320
----------------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1320_series?serial=00CNHC5DP0ZQ
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/hp_LaserJet_1320.ppd
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/hp_LaserJet_1320.ppd ppd file
PPD Description: 
Printer status: printer hp_LaserJet_1320 is idle.  enabled since Fri 21 Sep 2018 08:03:00 PM EDT
Communication status: Good

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

USB             hp_LaserJet_1320               Required        -        -        OK       Node:'/dev/bus/usb/003/003' Perm:'  root  lp rw- rw- rw- rw- r--'

-----------
| SUMMARY |
-----------

Missing Required Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'libcups2' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libdbus-1-dev' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libjpeg8-dev' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libcups2-dev' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'cups-bsd' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'cups-client' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libcupsimage2-dev' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libusb-1.0.0-dev' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libsane-dev' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libsnmp-dev' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'snmp-mibs-downloader' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'openssl' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'python3-pyqt4' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'python3-dev' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libtool' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'libtool-bin' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'build-essential' package is missing/incompatible 

Missing Optional Dependencies
-----------------------------
error: 'xsane' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'python3-notify2' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'mate-notification-daemon' package is missing/incompatible 
error: 'python3-dbus.mainloop.qt' package is missing/incompatible 

Total Errors: 16
Total Warnings: 0

Done.
gil@phred:~$ 

pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

missing dependencies with routine hplip install

Post by pdc_2 »

if you do

sudo apt install libcups2 libdbus-1-dev libjpeg8-dev libcups2-dev cups-bsd cups-client libcupsimage2-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev libsane-dev libsnmp-dev snmp-mibs-downloader openssl python3-pyqt4 python3-dev libtool libtool-bin build-essential xsane python3-notify2 mate-notification-daemon python3-dbus.mainloop.qt 
and then do

hp-check
again
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Re: missing dependencies with routine hplip install

Post by bearzlos »

pdc_2 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:09 pm if you do

sudo apt install libcups2 libdbus-1-dev libjpeg8-dev libcups2-dev cups-bsd cups-client libcupsimage2-dev libusb-1.0.0-dev libsane-dev libsnmp-dev snmp-mibs-downloader openssl python3-pyqt4 python3-dev libtool libtool-bin build-essential xsane python3-notify2 mate-notification-daemon python3-dbus.mainloop.qt 
and then do

hp-check
again
pdc_2, thanks so much for the significant time you've obviously put into helping me with this printing issue. I followed your instructions and a great number of files were downloaded and installed in the process.

Then I did another hp-check and looked to see if anything had changed. Sadly, nothing seems different. I still cannot print headers and still, when in "print preview," I first get gibberish and then upon trying again I get an image that looks proper (missing the headers). Upon printing it's the same. Gibberish on first try and OK on second (missing the headers).

FYI, here is the output of hp-check after all the installations from your first command:

gil@phred:~$ hp-check
Saving output in log file: /home/gil/hp-check.log

Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 15.1

Note: hp-check can be run in three modes:
1. Compile-time check mode (-c or --compile): Use this mode before compiling the
HPLIP supplied tarball (.tar.gz or .run) to determine if the proper dependencies
are installed to successfully compile HPLIP.                                    
2. Run-time check mode (-r or --run): Use this mode to determine if a distro    
supplied package (.deb, .rpm, etc) or an already built HPLIP supplied tarball   
has the proper dependencies installed to successfully run.                      
3. Both compile- and run-time check mode (-b or --both) (Default): This mode    
will check both of the above cases (both compile- and run-time dependencies).   

Check types:                                                                    
a. EXTERNALDEP - External Dependencies                                          
b. GENERALDEP - General Dependencies (required both at compile and run time)    
c. COMPILEDEP - Compile time Dependencies                                       
d. [All are run-time checks]                                                    
PYEXT SCANCONF QUEUES PERMISSION                                                

Status Types:
    OK
    MISSING       - Missing Dependency or Permission or Plug-in
    INCOMPAT      - Incompatible dependency-version or Plugin-version

warning: 22-19 version is not supported. Using 22-18.2 versions dependencies to verify and install...

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

Kernel: 4.15.0-34-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 27 15:21:48 UTC 2018 GNU/Linux
 Host: phred
 Proc: 4.15.0-34-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Aug 27 15:21:48 UTC 2018 GNU/Linux
 Distribution: 22 19
 Bitness: 64 bit

-----------------------
| HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
-----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.17.10
HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for 22 distro  19 version 

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
version=3.17.10

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/ppd/hplip/HP
ppdbase=/usr/share/ppd/hplip
doc=/usr/share/doc/hplip
html=/usr/share/doc/hplip-doc
icon=no
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/share/cups/drv
bin=/usr/bin
apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
libusb01-build=no
pp-build=yes
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
hpijs-install=yes
foomatic-drv-install=yes
foomatic-ppd-install=yes
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
hpcups-install=yes
cups-drv-install=yes
cups-ppd-install=no
internal-tag=3.17.10
restricted-build=no
ui-toolkit=qt5
qt3=no
qt4=no
qt5=yes
policy-kit=yes
lite-build=no
udev_sysfs_rules=no
hpcups-only-build=no
hpijs-only-build=no
apparmor_build=no

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
Plugins are not installed. Could not access file: No such file or directory

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
[commands]
scan = /usr/bin/simple-scan %SANE_URI%

[fax]
email_address = 
voice_phone = 

[last_used]
device_uri = "hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1320_series?serial=00CNHC5DP0ZQ"
printer_name = hp_LaserJet_1320
working_dir = .

[polling]
device_list = 
enable = false
interval = 5

[refresh]
enable = false
rate = 30
type = 1

[settings]
systray_messages = 0
systray_visible = 0

[upgrade]
last_upgraded_time = 1535909336
notify_upgrade = true
pending_upgrade_time = 0

[installation]
date_time = 09/22/18 19:05:21
version = 3.17.10

<Package-name>        <Package-Desc>      <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status>   <Comment>

| External Dependencies |

cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                           REQUIRED        1.1             2.2.7           OK         'CUPS Scheduler is running'
 gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.22            OK         -
 xsane                xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             0.999           OK         -
 scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                           OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.27          OK         -
 dbus                 DBus - Message bus system                                    REQUIRED        -               1.12.2          OK         -
 policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.105           OK         -
 network              network -wget                                                OPTIONAL        -               1.19.4          OK         -
 avahi-utils          avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               0.7             OK         -

------------------------
| General Dependencies |
------------------------

libjpeg              libjpeg - JPEG library                                       REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
 cups-devel           CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files    REQUIRED        -               2.2.7           OK         -
 cups-image           CUPS image - CUPS image development files                    REQUIRED        -               2.2.7           OK         -
 libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library                           REQUIRED        -               b'2.27'         OK         -
 libusb               libusb - USB library                                         REQUIRED        -               1.0             OK         -
 sane                 SANE - Scanning library                                      REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
 sane-devel           SANE - Scanning library development files                    REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
 libnetsnmp-devel     libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           5.7.3           OK         -
 libcrypto            libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library                    REQUIRED        -               1.1.0           OK         -
 python3X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language          REQUIRED        2.2             3.6.6           OK         -
 python3-notify2      Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -               OK         -
 python3-pyqt4-dbus   PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4                         OPTIONAL        4.0             4.12.1          OK         -
 python3-pyqt4        PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x)         REQUIRED        4.0             4.12.1          OK         -
 python3-dbus         Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus                       REQUIRED        0.80.0          1.2.6           OK         -
 python3-xml          Python XML libraries                                         REQUIRED        -               2.2.5           OK         -
 python3-devel        Python devel - Python development files                      REQUIRED        2.2             3.6.6           OK         -
 python3-pil          PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan) OPTIONAL        -               1.1.7           OK         -
 python3-reportlab    Reportlab - PDF library for Python                           OPTIONAL        2.0             3.4.0           OK         -

--------------
| COMPILEDEP |
--------------

libtool              libtool - Library building support services                  REQUIRED        -               2.4.6           OK         -
 gcc                  gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler                         REQUIRED        -               7.3.0           OK         -
 make                 make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs       REQUIRED        3.0             4.1             OK         -

---------------------
| Python Extentions |
---------------------

cupsext              CUPS-Extension                                               REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -
 hpmudext             IO-Extension                                                 REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -

----------------------
| Scan Configuration |
----------------------

'/etc/sane.d/dll.d/hpaio' not found.
 hpaio                HPLIP-SANE-Backend                                           REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         'hpaio found in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'
 scanext              Scan-SANE-Extension                                          REQUIRED        -               3.17.10         OK         -

| DISCOVERED SCANNER DEVICES |

No Scanner found.

| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |

Device URI                        Model                  
  --------------------------------  -----------------------
  hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1320_series?  HP LaserJet 1320 series
  serial=00CNHC5DP0ZQ                                      

| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |

hp_LaserJet_1320
----------------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1320_series?serial=00CNHC5DP0ZQ
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/hp_LaserJet_1320.ppd
PPD Description: 
Printer status: printer hp_LaserJet_1320 is idle.  enabled since Fri 21 Sep 2018 08:03:00 PM EDT
Communication status: Good

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

USB             hp_LaserJet_1320               Required        -        -        OK       Node:'/dev/bus/usb/003/003' Perm:'  root  lp rw- rw- rw- rw- r--'
No errors or warnings.

Done.
gil@phred:~

Perhaps I've overlooked something in reviewing the output, but it seems to show no errors or warnings other than this one about 10 lines above:

Please also note that when I then ran hp-setup after hp-check I got this message in a window titled "HP Device Manager Setup"

"One or more print queues already exist for this deive: hp_laserjet_1320. Would you like to install another print queue for this device?"

I answered "no" and hp-setup completed and closed.

If it would help I can post the output of your first instruction. But we advised it looks to be hundreds and hundreds of lines!

What would you suggest as a next step? Is there anything to be gained by uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer (turn off computer, then power-up with the printer turned on)?

Thanks!
bearzlos
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP Laser Jet 1320n

Post by pdc_2 »

I would suggest going to the PRINTERS folder; (inside the ADMINISTRATION folder?)

delete any icons for the 1320;

then do

hp-setup
again and see if it does any better this time ......
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

Hi, again.

Sorry to report that it's no different. Still can't print headers on e-mails, and print preview is gibberish the first time viewed then OK the second. Print output is same --gibberish the first time then OK the second.

I'm beginning to wonder if this problem is not with the printer but, rather, with Claws-Mail, Clawsker, or something else Claws-Mail related.

Do you have any other ideas vis-a-vis my HP and its settings or should I open another inquiry and post the same information in the Claws-Mail discussion? Would asking about this problem be considered double posting in different parts of the Board, or is it OK since we have not succeeded here?

Thanks!
bearzlos
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP Laser Jet 1320n

Post by pdc_2 »

If you go to the PRINTERS folder; there is only one icon now for the 1320?

If you right-click on that; look in PROPERTIES; then MAKE & MODEL: can you copy what is there; and paste it back here please ..
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Re: HP Laser Jet 1320n

Post by bearzlos »

pdc_2 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:57 pm If you go to the PRINTERS folder; there is only one icon now for the 1320?

If you right-click on that; look in PROPERTIES; then MAKE & MODEL: can you copy what is there; and paste it back here please ..
One icon only.

HP LaserJet 1320 Foomatic/pxlmono (recommended)

Please note that I have tried every option offered. When I do try to change drivers I am offered two options under a heading "Existing Settings." I have always selected the first -- to "Use the new PPD (Postscript Printer Description) as is" rather than the option to "Try to copy the options settings over from the old PPD."

Am I making a mistake in selecting the first option?

Thanks.
bearzlos
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

HP Laser Jet 1320n

Post by pdc_2 »

so even though you have tried to invoke HPLIP .......

the system is selecting an open-source driver
HP LaserJet 1320 Foomatic/pxlmono (recommended)
...... so I can only suggest you delete that icon; do

hp-setup
and if I understand HP correctly, that should invoke hplip;

<<<<<
eg our Deskjet shows
HP Officejet 4650 Series, hpcups 3.16.3
and as the hplip version is 3.16.3, I interpret that to mean that hplip was responsible for the configuration;

if you run

hp-setup
, I wonder if it gives you a summary; or whatever; in the text of the terminal; that you can copy and post back here to use;

also: if you just remind us which version of hplip you are using: so we can spot it more easily; do

dpkg -l hplip
and that asks debian package management system to list what it knows about any hplip installed .........

some also advocate hplip-gui for configuring: you could have a look at that instead of the terminal command
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

I can select any of the 10 offered drivers as I mentioned previously. Still the same problems as described.

Here is output of hp-setup:

gil@phred:~$ hp-setup

Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
Searching... (bus=usb, search=(None), desc=0)

Done.

And here is the output of dpkg -l hplip:

gil@phred:~$ dpkg -l hplip
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  hplip          3.17.10+repa amd64        HP Linux Printing and Imaging Sys
So I don't know what to take from this. It still gives me gibberish in print preview the first time then looks fine the second time (minus headers), and exactly the same thing when printing.

Using the hplip-gui to configure makes no difference. Am I giving you the proper output or am I sending the wrong information?

bearzlos
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Laser Jet 1320n

Post by pdc_2 »

so on our Mint 18 system; if I take any one of the icons; eg an Epson one;

and right-click on it; go to PROPERTIES: then select MAKE & MODEL ...... and widen the window so I can read it all ..... and select CHANGE ..

then it offers me 3 options and I choose the top one ....... then it offers me a list of printer manufacturers; I choose HP; I scroll through that and the only option it offers me is what is in the thumbnail; and as it says 3.16.3 .. which is the hplip version on Mint 18; I make the assumption that this an hplip driver; maybe I am wrong;

somehow what I get offered is very different to the 10? drivers you say you get offered ..... where do you get this feast of offerings please?

...... by the way; what does

lpinfo -v
give please ..... because I see hp-setup seems not to be find usb things ...........

and is this printer plugged directly into a usb port on the computer: I ask that as some devices have issues between the older usb 2.0 ports and the newer 3.0 ports; and folks report issues with printers plugged into those usb chains that some folks have .......

a final check of

lsusb
that the system seems the device with that?
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

so on our Mint 18 system; if I take any one of the icons; eg an Epson one; and right-click on it; go to PROPERTIES: then select MAKE & MODEL ...... and widen the window so I can read it all ..... and select CHANGE ..
Yes, I right click on the only icon displayed (hp_LaserJet_1320), then Properties, then Make and Model, then Change...
then it offers me 3 options and I choose the top one ....... then it offers me a list of printer manufacturers; I choose HP; I scroll through that and the only option it offers me is what is in the thumbnail; and as it says 3.16.3 .. which is the hplip version on Mint 18; I make the assumption that this an hplip driver; maybe I am wrong;
Yes, I am offered three options and I choose the top one (Select printer from database), then I select HP, then "forward,"
and now I have a list of what must be hundreds of HP printers with "LaserJet 1320 (recommended) highlighted in the left column and eight (8) drivers in the right column. If I select LaserJet 1320n in the left column I get two drivers to choose from. So a total of 10. See here:
Screenshot from 2018-09-25 18-16-57.png
...... by the way; what does
CODE: SELECT ALL
lpinfo -v
give please ..... because I see hp-setup seems not to be find usb things ...........

gil@phred:~$ lpinfo -v
network ipp
network lpd
file cups-brf:/
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
network beh
network ipps
network socket
network https
network http
direct parallel:/dev/lp0
direct usb://HP/LaserJet%201320%20series?serial=00CNHC5DP0ZQ
direct hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1320_series?serial=00CNHC5DP0ZQ
direct hpfax
and is this printer plugged directly into a usb port on the computer: I ask that as some devices have issues between the older usb 2.0 ports and the newer 3.0 ports; and folks report issues with printers plugged into those usb chains that some folks have .......
Yes, directly into a USB 2.0 port, NOT into a USB 3.1 port or into a hub.
a final check of
CODE: SELECT ALL
lsusb

gil@phred:~$ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:1d17 Hewlett-Packard LaserJet 1320
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d:c534 Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Amazing, isn't it? All those drivers to choose from and not one of them works properly.

Am I doing something completely stupid with my configuration that neither of us realizes because it is so fundamentally stupid?

Or I go back to a previous question. If all your experience tells you there should not be this problem, yet there is, is it possible that this whole mess is not an HP configuration problem but, instead, a problem with Claws-Mail, Clawsker, or something Claws-Mail related?

Thanks again for your time and willingness to pursue. :!:
bearzlos
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Laser Jet 1320n

Post by pdc_2 »

you are selecting a 1320 driver;

underneath that is a 1320n, and you say that is what your machine is: what selection do you get if you choose that please?

I would go for the simplest hpcups variant; ie 3.17.10 or whatever it is

that should mean hplip ..... many of the others are open-source drivers;
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

pdc_2 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 pm you are selecting a 1320 driver;

underneath that is a 1320n, and you say that is what your machine is: what selection do you get if you choose that please?

I would go for the simplest hpcups variant; ie 3.17.10 or whatever it is

that should mean hplip ..... many of the others are open-source drivers;
When selecting the 1320n I am offered two drivers. (The following are EXACTLY what I see.)

HP LaserJet 1320n, hpcups 3.17.10 [en] (recommended)
HP LaserJet 1320n hpijs, 3.17.10 [en]

I have tried both. I will try both again.
bearzlos
Last edited by bearzlos on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

Tried both 1320n drivers again and same results. Gibberish the first time in Claws-Mail print preview and when printing but OK the second (minus the headers, of course).

bearzlos
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

I have never gotten the hplip available in the repos to work correctly for my HP Laser Jet (don't remember the model number - it's at home and I'm not) printer - which his not terribly new. However, what has worked for me EVERY time is to compile the HP provided source. I've written a short HowTo in this post

Questions like this are asked so frequently, maybe I should write a short turorial??
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

Many thanks for this instructional reply.
by srq2625 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:09 am

I have never gotten the hplip available in the repos to work correctly for my HP Laser Jet (don't remember the model number - it's at home and I'm not) printer - which his not terribly new. However, what has worked for me EVERY time is to compile the HP provided source. I've written a short HowTo in this post
I have never compiled anything, so the answers to these questions likely are obvious to one more experienced. I apologize.

1) Your HowTo guide shows hplip-3.18.7.tar.gz. But when I downloaded from the site your link took me to I received hplip-3.18.9.tar.gz. Can I assume that that worked for version 3.18.7 will also work for this version 3.18.9, and that all command references in your guide to 3.18.7 can safely be replaced with 3.18.9?

2) Do I need to extract the tar.gz before performing your step #2 or is that what step #2 is doing?

3) At the end of your guide step 10 references connecting to a scanner rather than to a laser printer. Can I ignore that reference to scanner?

Thanks so much for your wisdom.
bearzlos
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

Well most interesting. I have not yet had a chance to try the compile process suggested by srq2625, but suddenly some (SOME) e-mails are printing with headers. I can find no rhyme or reason as to why some do and some do not.

However, even for those that do print the headers, the same problem with "print preview" and printing the e-mails remains. The first time I look at "print preview" or print I get gibberish (even in the headers), but at the second attempt to preview or print everything is fine.

The breakage looks like random whitespace / special characters / reversed characters have been inserted into the header and body text lines, for example, imagine all on one line:

> Use Shift+Alt+ (large space here) aT (another large space here) b to highlight and 'jump (space here) to'

(Wish there were a way to insert spaces into messages between letters and words so you could see what I see, but this program tightens up everything.
bearzlos
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

If a laser printer doesn't work properly despite all newly installed drivers, it's worth taking a look at Ghostscript. Maybe a (substitute) font library is missing or could be damaged.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”