printing problems with Mint 19 and HP Laser Jet 1320n

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
srq2625

Re: printing problems with Mint 19 and HP Laser Jet 1320n

Post by srq2625 »

Sorry about the delay getting back to this - life got in the way.
bearzlos wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:31 pm Many thanks for this instructional reply.

I have never compiled anything, so the answers to these questions likely are obvious to one more experienced. I apologize.
No worries - there is not a person who knew something without learning it first.
bearzlos wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:31 pm 1) Your HowTo guide shows hplip-3.18.7.tar.gz. But when I downloaded from the site your link took me to I received hplip-3.18.9.tar.gz. Can I assume that that worked for version 3.18.7 will also work for this version 3.18.9, and that all command references in your guide to 3.18.7 can safely be replaced with 3.18.9?
Yes - the instructions should work (I'm guessing, I didn't write the software) for anything in the 3.xx. And, yes, the substition, as you indicated, will work fine.
bearzlos wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:31 pm
2) Do I need to extract the tar.gz before performing your step #2 or is that what step #2 is doing?
Yes - step two is the extration of the tar file contents to a folder. For edification, it might be useful for you to read up on the tar command man tar.
3) At the end of your guide step 10 references connecting to a scanner rather than to a laser printer. Can I ignore that reference to scanner?
Step 9 starts the printer configuration. Step 10 is about connecting to the scanner - my device is a multi-function (printer, scanner, fax, copier, etc). If you don't have a scanner then I guess this step wouldn't make much sense :)
Thanks so much for your wisdom.
bearzlos
Not so sure about "wisdom" but maybe it's helpful information. I hope so.
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

srq2625 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:18 am Sorry about the delay getting back to this - life got in the way.
bearzlos wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:31 pm Many thanks for this instructional reply.

I have never compiled anything, so the answers to these questions likely are obvious to one more experienced. I apologize.
No worries - there is not a person who knew something without learning it first.
bearzlos wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:31 pm 1) Your HowTo guide shows hplip-3.18.7.tar.gz. But when I downloaded from the site your link took me to I received hplip-3.18.9.tar.gz. Can I assume that that worked for version 3.18.7 will also work for this version 3.18.9, and that all command references in your guide to 3.18.7 can safely be replaced with 3.18.9?
Yes - the instructions should work (I'm guessing, I didn't write the software) for anything in the 3.xx. And, yes, the substition, as you indicated, will work fine.
2) Do I need to extract the tar.gz before performing your step #2 or is that what step #2 is doing?
Yes - step two is the extration of the tar file contents to a folder. For edification, it might be useful for you to read up on the tar command man tar.
3) At the end of your guide step 10 references connecting to a scanner rather than to a laser printer. Can I ignore that reference to scanner?
Step 9 starts the printer configuration. Step 10 is about connecting to the scanner - my device is a multi-function (printer, scanner, fax, copier, etc). If you don't have a scanner then I guess this step wouldn't make much sense :)
Thanks so much for your wisdom.
bearzlos
Not so sure about "wisdom" but maybe it's helpful information. I hope so.
Thanks! I'll give it a try. And I'll read up on that tar command, man tar

Really appreciate your time.
bearzlos
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

leonette wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:12 pm If you right-click on that; look in PROPERTIES; then MAKE & MODEL: can you copy what is there; and paste it back here please ..
I'm sorry, but if I right click on what? What is "that" you refer to?

Thanks.
bearzlos
bearzlos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bearzlos »

leonette wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:12 pm If you right-click on that; look in PROPERTIES; then MAKE & MODEL: can you copy what is there; and paste it back here please ..
Sorry, just realized what you were asking for. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Same question was asked earlier in this thread (September 24th). At that time I had responded: HP LaserJet 1320 Foomatic/pxlmono (recommended)

However, presently it says: HP LaserJet 1320 hpijs, 3.17.10

bearzlos

Return to “Printers & Scanners”