Brother MFC-J480DW Won't Install?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Brother MFC-J480DW Won't Install?

Post by pcpunk »

Yeah I did all that Jerry, but may have made a mistake as I've never worked with the Firewall. And I did not do it before the install of all the drivers.
Those directions seem to be very old IMO, could be wrong, but...
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Did you apply the scanner part of my Brother how-to as well?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Back in the day when you used it with 17.2 KDE were you using a different connection? Years ago I had similar installation problems until I found this buried in the instructions.

"NOTE: If you have previously configured the wireless settings of the machine, you must reset the network settings
before you can configure the wireless settings again.
On your machine, press Menu. Press a or b to choose Network. Press OK.
Press a or b to choose Network Reset. Press OK.
Press 1 (Yes) twice to accept the change.

In short my hardware settings blocked the installation. I've kept that note nearby ever since.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

pcpunk wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:03 pm Yeah I did all that Jerry, but may have made a mistake as I've never worked with the Firewall. And I did not do it before the install of all the drivers.
Those directions seem to be very old IMO, could be wrong, but...
To be blunt on my part, if you didn't follow the instructions, then I'm not surprised you're having issues. You seem to be doing things nilly willy, said a few times that you've made mistakes, and have stated twice that you're going to give up.

My advice is to start from the beginning, follow the instructions Brother posted, and the advice from the members who have posted.

Another suggestion is to set the printer's IP address to a static one in your router.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:36 am Did you apply the scanner part of my Brother how-to as well?
Yes, but aren't those for Mint 19. I'm using Mint KDE 17.2. I tried

10. This one did not work, I checked to see if the files had been moved but they had not.

11. I did this one but don't know if it worked?

12. That Settings File does not exist in 17.2 I guess. I tried to get in with nano:
nano admin:///lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane1.rules
and
sudo nano admin:///lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane1.rules
Neither one would pull up that file?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

pcpunk wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:21 am
Pjotr wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:36 am Did you apply the scanner part of my Brother how-to as well?
Yes, but aren't those for Mint 19. I'm using Mint KDE 17.2.
In that case, my how-to unfortunately isn't fit for your system.... Perhaps a "natural moment" to upgrade to 19 (preferably by means of a clean installation)?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Pjotr, I am happy with being able to print, but at some point would like to be able to diagnose this scanner issue. I will follow up when I get time to make sure I didn't do anything wrong and use some of the other info provided here. I don't mind doing the work but don't really know what I'm doing lol. I looked on your site to see if there was any info for the 17 series, but there was not, I wonder why? Is the Brother tutorial new, and you never had it for 17? Either way I always refer to your site when I can remember to do so, and it is always awesome info!

I really like 17 Series and want to stick with it as long as possible but nothing is concrete at the moment. I have another laptop I'm going to use for linux, just waiting for the HDD to come in. A nice WD Black 500GB! I read up and that was supposed to be a good drive.

@JerryF, I did follow instructions, but thought I would do things a little different because I didn't want all those files Unpacked in my Downloads folder you see? I think this is where my first mistake was, though I was in the correct Folder when I used the commands. I chose to "Open Terminal Here" with a Right Click in the Folder I created for the Installer.

@chiefjim This is a newish install and a newish printer, so there was no "Back in the day when you used it with 17.2 KDE" Actually, this is my test machine, and will repeat what we are doing here on my main linux box, then on the new one that I'm waiting for the HDD on.

Not sure what I'll install on the new laptop? It's so hard to decide as I loved Mint's KDE 17 series so much! I may stick with that until support ends. It's not difficult to do as I don't keep much on my installs. Keep all my files on USB's, that way I can move around easily.

Thanks guys
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I think I need to do this from the Brother site:

Step 5. Setting for your network scanner:

***Use brsaneconfig (for brscan models), brsaneconfig2 (for brscan2 models), brsaneconfig3 (for brscan3 models) or brsaneconfig4 (for brscan4 models) accordingly.

5-1. Add network scanner entry
Command : brsaneconfig2 -a name=(name your device) model=(model name) ip=xx.xx.xx.xx

5-2. Confirm network scanner entry
Command : brsaneconfig2 -q | grep (name of your device)

Not sure what to use as Model name: "model=(model name)" Would that be the same as I used in the install script? "MFC-J480DW"?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Rule still applies if on the first attempt you tried installing as wireless, url, usb, etc and currently are attempting to install to a connection type different from the first.

I have several machines as well. If machine A was setup to use usb that rendered all others unable to connect. Aware that using shared features it can be done, printing only, over the home network. But I discovered minor changes in my LAN would screw that up. Best and handiest solution I've found is a USB Flash Drive.
@chiefjim This is a newish install and a newish printer, so there was no "Back in the day when you used it with 17.2 KDE" Actually, this is my test machine, and will repeat what we are doing here on my main linux box, then on the new one that I'm waiting for the HDD on.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”