Epson XP-420 does not scan in Linux Mint 19

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lynchm0965

Epson XP-420 does not scan in Linux Mint 19

Post by lynchm0965 »

I recently upgraded from Mint 18.3 to 19.0. Although the scanner features on my Epson XP-420 worked until the day I did the upgrade (even when I was testing 19.0 from a USB drive, before the actual installation), it no longer works.
I tried to correct it, following steps from a previous post on this forum (viewtopic.php?f=51&t=251713&p=1354580&h ... 5#p1354580). These steps solved the problem when I first installed Mint 18, but it looks like the configuration files that need modification no longer have the same names (or are no longer in the same directories).
Is there a way to resolve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Epson XP-420 does not scan in Linux Mint 19

Post by kyphi »

Did you download the Epson driver for the XP-420 from the Epson Download Centre: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX

Is your machine connected via wi-fi or USB? If via USB then downloading and installing the correct driver is all that is required. If using wi-fi then follow this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
lynchm0965

[SOLVED] Re: Epson XP-420 does not scan in Linux Mint 19

Post by lynchm0965 »

The tutorial did the trick for my desktop. However, for my laptop computer, it did not work. There was no epkowa.conf file on that computer.
Both computers access the printer via Wifi, and both are able to print. Only the desktop Dell Inspiron can scan.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

The epkowa.conf file is created on your system when you install the iscan-bundle from Epson: http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
lynchm0965

Post by lynchm0965 »

I tried that, installed iscan on the laptop, and made the changes in epkowa. It's still not working correctly. I can still scan and print from my desktop, but I cannot scan using my laptop, even though they are both accessing the same printer via WiFi.
pastic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pastic »

If you have not solved your issue, have a look at this bug report: solutions can be found in e.g. comment 98 in that bug thread. https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+sour ... ug/1707352 My Epson v370 started working after this fix, and VueScan now works again (although iScan does not).

Long story short, it seems the Debian people renamed libsane to libsane1. There was a reason for this, but many 3rd party packages (e.g. Epson's driver packages) broke in the process. Epson's install script wants libsane but during installation one can see that under Mint 19 libsane1 is chosen.
Asus Prime x470 ~ Ryzen 5 3600 ~ Radeon HD 7750
"Do you respect wood?" (Larry David)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”