HP ENVY 4504 unable to scan in Cinnamon 18.3 through Wireless Direct

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tjlewis84

HP ENVY 4504 unable to scan in Cinnamon 18.3 through Wireless Direct

Post by tjlewis84 »

Hello Everyone,

Before I begin, I would like to state the following:

I am new to Linux. Please be gentle with me.

OK. Here's the background to my little problem:

I have Linux Mint Cinnamon version 18.3 (32-bit) installed on a Sony Vaio VGN-BZ11MN Laptop and a HP ENVY 4504 All-in-one printer that I would like to use through HP's Wireless Direct connection with this laptop (the USB cable is connected to our desktop machine). I have been able to connect to the printer through the printer's Wireless Direct function (i.e. there are no routers in use) without problem.

I installed the HPLIP packages from the Linux Mint Software Manager. I then went to the Printers App and installed the printer as a network printer. The app managed to pick up the printer all by itself and I went through the installation without any issues. This done, I am able to print to the printer through the Wireless Direct connection all I want to and am very happy with the results.

My problem is, I am not able to scan through the Wireless Direct connection.

I have Simple Scan and XSane installed and if I open either of these programs, I am told that they cannot find any scanner devices.

I then discovered, and opened the HPLIP Toolbox program and noticed that the printer was not listed in there (It seems I have version 3.16.3 of HPLIP). If I try to install a new printer through HPLIP, however, it seems that it cannot pick up the printer over the Wireless Direct connection (I constantly get a No Devices Found message).

Things I have tried (but have not been successful) include:

> Entering the IP address of the HP ENVY in HPLIP.
> Entering the Network Name of the HP ENVY in HPLIP.
> Trying all 3 available discovery methods.

The one thing I have done that did get HPLIP to pick up the printer is to connect it directly to the laptop with the USB cable. If I do this and set the HP ENVY up as a USB connection, I can print and scan on the HP ENVY, but this is not ideal as I have to find and remove the USB cable from the back of the Desktop PC every time I want to print or scan.

So, it seems that if I connect to the printer with the USB cable, I can print and scan all I want. If I connect through Wireless Direct, I can only print.

What makes this slightly embarrassing is that I have a HP OfficeJet 3830 in the office at my workplace, which I installed through a Wireless Direct connection exactly as I described above. I don't know when this OfficeJet got added to HPLIP, but when I thought to check the program later, it was listed. I can print and scan to that printer through Wireless Direct as much as I like.

I conclude that the reason I am unable to scan through Wireless Direct on my HP ENVY 4504 is because the printer's Wireless Direct Connection is not being recognised by HPLIP. But I don't seem to be able to do anything to get HPLIP to pick up the HP ENVY on Wireless Direct.

My question is, has anyone managed to get a HP ENVY 4504 to install on HPLIP through a Wireless Direct connection and can then print and scan, and if so, how did they do it (please remember that I am new to Linux)? I suspect that if I set up the printer to connect to our house's WiFi router I could probably get HPLIP to pick it up, but I would prefer not to connect the printer to our router as it would mean having to switch the router on every time I want to print / scan (I'm one of those folks who turns the router off when not using the Internet).

Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”