Brother MFC-L2750DW won't respond [kind of solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andrew110

Brother MFC-L2750DW won't respond [kind of solved]

Post by andrew110 »

I've got a problem with a new printer. It's networked in via the wireless network. My laptop running Mint 19 MATE can see the printer, but when I send documents to the printer, it won't print them. CUPS and proper drivers for the printer are installed, so any ideas what part of the magical handshake I've missed/forgotten?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Brother MFC-L2750DW won't respond

Post by JerryF »

I have a Brother all-in-one and had some issues until I read and followed the notes before installing. If you didn't, I would suggest deleting the printer and start from here:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux ... edirect=on
andrew110

Post by andrew110 »

Thanks, hadn't seen those notes. Unfortunately, they don't give a format for entering the printer model. Do you remember how they want it entered?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I'm not sure at what point you mean.

I'll be out for the day, but will help this evening (step by step if needed).
andrew110

Post by andrew110 »

I was talking about this (from the directions for Ubuntu 8.05 or higher, the closest I could find to Mint)

Requirement
1. "sudo aa-complain cupsd" command is required before the installation.
2. "sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model" command (as it is) is required before the installation.

They say to enter the model (I'm guessing the printer model), and I was wondering if they want it entered as it appears on the on the printer, or as it appears when the computer 'sees' it on the network.
Thanks for the offer of step-by-step. This is the first wireless network printer I've had to deal with, and it's proving to be quite the 'learning experience'.
andrew110

Post by andrew110 »

BTW, I tried the command line procedure I quoted, and it's a no-go. BASH says there's no such command as "aa-complain". So, back to ye olde drawing board.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

andrew110 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:43 pm BTW, I tried the command line procedure I quoted, and it's a no-go. BASH says there's no such command as "aa-complain". So, back to ye olde drawing board.
You'll need to install aa-complain. Sorry that I did get back to you earlier. Got home late.

Will get out my notes tomorrow and share.

:wink:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hi andrew110:

First, this is not from the Brother instructions, but I find it useful. If you're going to use your printer as wireless, set your printer to a static IP address in your router. All router settings are different, so you'll need to find instructions for your particular model.

Here's are commands you'll need to run one at a time from Terminal (some may say that they're already installed, which if fine):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils
sudo aa-complain cupsd
sudo mkdir /usr/share/cups/model
sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/lpd
sudo mkdir /var/spool/lpd
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
sudo apt-get install csh
sudo apt-get install sane
sudo apt-get install sane-dbg
sudo apt-get install sane-utils
sudo apt-get install psutils
After those commands, you'll need to open a couple of ports in Firewall. If firewall isn't turned on, turn it on in the Status and leaving the settings as is. You can run Firewall from the Mint menu or from terminal with the gufw command.

Go to the Rules section, then click on the + to Add a rule, then click on the Simple tab.

Name = (whatever you want to name it that makes sense to you.) For the Inbound, I named it Printer Inbound.
Policy = Allow
Direction = In
Protocol = UDP
Port = 54925

Name = (whatever you want to name it that makes sense to you.) For the Outbound, Printer Outbound.
Policy = Allow
Direction = Out
Protocol = TCP
Port = 54921

Installation of Drivers:

Download "Driver Install Tool" from http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _as&os=128
The file will be downloaded into your default "Downloads" directory.
Open a terminal window.
Run:

cd Downloads
Enter this command to extract the downloaded file:

gunzip linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.1-1.gz
Run these two commands:

sudo su
bash linux-brprinter-installer-2.2.1-1 MFC-L2750DW
The installation of all necessary drivers will happen. There are a couple that will need a Y or N answer. I think all are Y.

When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI?"

For USB Users: Choose N (No)
For Network Users: Choose Y (Yes) and DeviceURI number. Choose the one that says Auto.
andrew110

Post by andrew110 »

Thanks. Setting the printer to a static IP address is going to be problematical, as I'm not in charge of the network set-up. I'm just volunteering with a group and got asked to help set up this piece of office equipment. Will give the rest of it a try and see what happens. Hopefully I'll be able to get everything talking.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Static IP not a big issue. Usually, I find routers keep the MAC address of each wireless equipment assigned to a particular IP address.
andrew110

Post by andrew110 »

Well, I walked through the whole process, pulled the IP address from the printer....and the printer *still* won't talk to my laptop the wireless network. I'm guessing it's not just a Linux problem, though, as there are several people working in the office with me who use Windows machines and *they* can't get the printer to talk to them either. For S&G, I brought in a USB cable and tried to 'go direct'. It's *still* not working properly. The printer prints, but it just starts spitting out page after page of either blank paper, or a page with a line of scrambled text on the top and nothing else. I'm going to guess that the driver is not working properly, so it's time to see if I can uninstall that and try something else. When one of the other people show up, I'm going to hard-wire one of their Windows machines up to the printer and see what it does. If *they* can't get it to respond properly either, then things get very 'interesting' indeed.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Because you don't have access/control with the router, it's going to make it more difficult to troubleshoot. On some routers, including mine, there is a setting for access control for anything that tries to connect. MAC addresses, etc. can be denied.

Now, when you tried to connect by USB, did you rerun the driver install so that you could answer No to the this part:

When you see the message "Will you specify the DeviceURI?"

For USB Users: Choose N (No)
For Network Users: Choose Y (Yes) and DeviceURI number. Choose the one that says Auto.
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Brother MFC-L2750DW won't respond [kind of solved]

Post by nkoropoff »

Thank you everyone here on this topic. I purchased an MFC-L2750DW yesterday for my Cinnamon Mint 19.1 system. I followed all the advice and links to the pre-reqs and my install went off without any issues. I can print and scan without having to jump through any hoops.
kevinmint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Brother MFC-L2750DW won't respond [kind of solved]

Post by kevinmint »

I used the above instructions also. My Brother MFC-L2750-DW now prints in simplex & duplex just right on my Linux Mint 19.2 system. Scanning also works with xsane in duplex. Duplex multi-page scanning works with the email option to email PDFs to my Mint machine. I'm quite happy.

I had an older Brother MFC printer, which was maybe 10-15 years old. It worked just fine until I started using cheaper toner in it. After about a half unit of toner it now needs a drum. I couldn't see putting a drum into a printer that old, hence the new printer. I really like the duplex scanning to email!

All the best Linux printer folks!
--
Kevin the Drummer

Return to “Printers & Scanners”