Epson 810 won't print after Mint 19 Upgrade

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kckenkc

Epson 810 won't print after Mint 19 Upgrade

Post by kckenkc »

Hi,

Searched this forum and web over and read LOTS of articles about printing challenges post Mint 19 upgrade, but have yet to find a solution to my problem. I have a WIFI Epson Artisan 810. It is configured with an IP that never changes. I have 2 computers configured the same way to print to the printer via WIFI. One is a laptop running Mint 18.2 (works fine), the other is a desktop that I upgraded to Mint 19. After the Mint 19 upgrade, everything seems to work with the printer EXCEPT actually printing. I can get the ink levels properly reported from it, and scanning works fine. When I submit a print job, it stays in the queue as "Processing". I get no errors logged from the CUPS system, it simply reports start/stop events like: Oct 09 12:39:41 mame systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.

The old version of Mint is running the old Epson driver (V1.0). When the upgrade to Mint 19 resulted in the printer not working, I tried installing the new Epson driver (released in Sept - V1.6.30-1lsb3.2), but I get the same results.

The driver is configured as dnssd://EPSON0041FE._printer._tcp.local/ on both machines.

I've tried a variety of steps posted on other forums of "try this, try that" but nothing has worked. I've re-installed the driver several times, rebooted both the printer and desktop dozens of times, but in all cases I continue to get stuck at "Processing" in the queue.

Again, same printer connected from Mint 18.2 is working fine, and it was working fine on this PC which was running 18.3 before the upgrade.

Any thoughts on what steps I can take to debug this?

Thanks!

Ken
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Epson 810 won't print after Mint 19 Upgrade

Post by kyphi »

I have an Epson Artisan 725 and have 2 entries in Printers, one for Wi-Fi connection and one for USB connection. Depending on which connection is chosen, either works as expected.

The connection as "dnnsd://EPSON0041FE ... etc." looks OK. Is the printer shown as "shared" in Properties?

Did you upgrade to LM 19 in situ or via fresh install?

I would re-install the printer as a new printer. Ensure that the firewall is temporarily disabled.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
pennydata

Post by pennydata »

good evening, this is my very first post, first of all I greet everyone :)
I'm experiencing the same problem with an Epson WF-2530, I've read lots of topics about Mint 19 upgrade, so I will reply here, if you agree.

my

Code: Select all

service cups status
displays:

Code: Select all

cups.service - CUPS Scheduler
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2018-10-11 16:57:06 CEST; 8min ago
     Docs: man:cupsd(8)
 Main PID: 736 (cupsd)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 3945)
   CGroup: /system.slice/cups.service
           ├─ 736 /usr/sbin/cupsd -l
           ├─ 910 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://
           └─1202 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://

ott 11 16:57:06 hp255g5 systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.
ott 11 16:58:52 hp255g5 /hpfax[2457]: [2457]: error: Failed to create /var/spool/cups/tmp/.hplip
~
~
My machine runs 64bit linux mint 19 Tara
kckenkc

Post by kckenkc »

kyphi,

To answer you questions, I upgraded from Mint 18.3 to 19. The printer worked fine in 18.3, but not in 19. The printer is a WIFI printer. I've uninstalled/deleted it and recreated it many times. Also uninstalled all the drivers and re-installed them many times, and tried that with each available driver one by one. I get the same results (for the most part) with all the drivers. The only difference is some drivers show the ink levels, and some do not, but none of them print. Firewall is disabled so I could rule that out.

Hope this helps clarify the problem.

For reference, here is my errorlog over a period of days:

Oct 09 16:41:09 mame systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.
Oct 09 18:53:52 mame systemd[1]: Stopping CUPS Scheduler...
Oct 09 18:53:52 mame systemd[1]: Stopped CUPS Scheduler.
Oct 09 18:53:52 mame systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.
Oct 10 00:07:27 mame systemd[1]: Stopping CUPS Scheduler...
Oct 10 00:07:27 mame systemd[1]: Stopped CUPS Scheduler.
Oct 10 00:07:27 mame systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.
Oct 11 00:07:33 mame systemd[1]: Stopping CUPS Scheduler...
Oct 11 00:07:33 mame systemd[1]: Stopped CUPS Scheduler.
Oct 11 00:07:33 mame systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.

And results of status - after job submission and service restart:

● cups.service - CUPS Scheduler
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Thu 2018-10-11 14:34:31 EDT; 24s ago
Docs: man:cupsd(8)
Main PID: 18251 (cupsd)
Tasks: 7 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/cups.service
├─18251 /usr/sbin/cupsd -l
├─18254 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://
├─18257 EPSON-Artisan-810 202 ken Test Page 1 job-uuid=urn:uuid:ee3a5307-ab78-3acf-5f8b-d73a6e305c44 job-originating-host-name=localhost date-time-at-creation= date-time-at-processing= time-at-creation=1539282618 time-at-processing=1539282871
├─18258 EPSON-Artisan-810 202 ken Test Page 1 job-uuid=urn:uuid:ee3a5307-ab78-3acf-5f8b-d73a6e305c44 job-originating-host-name=localhost date-time-at-creation= date-time-at-processing= time-at-creation=1539282618 time-at-processing=1539282871
├─18259 lpd://EPSON0041FE.local:515/auto 202 ken Test Page 1 job-uuid=urn:uuid:ee3a5307-ab78-3acf-5f8b-d73a6e305c44 job-originating-host-name=localhost date-time-at-creation= date-time-at-processing= time-at-creation=1539282618 time-at-processing=1539282871
└─18263 /usr/lib/cups/notifier/dbus dbus://

Oct 11 14:34:31 mame systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.

Attached PrinterSettings.png is a screen shot of the current printer settings. Right now it is configured with the Epson Driver that is available in the Software Manager printer-driver-escpr 1.6.17-2, but like I stated previously, I've tried all the drivers I have been able to find, and have yet to get the printer to print a page.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

pennydata wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:37 am good evening, this is my very first post, first of all I greet everyone :)
I'm experiencing the same problem with an Epson WF-2530, I've read lots of topics about Mint 19 upgrade, so I will reply here, if you agree.
Jumping in on someone else's post is not allowed in the forums. Please start your own post. Thanks.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I do not have any Epson drivers listed in the Driver Manager. My drivers come directly from the Epson Download Centre:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... ch/?OSC=LX

Since the drivers needed for the Artisan 810 and Artisan 725 are the same, I will list them here:
  • Printer Driver: epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.30-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
  • Scanner Bundle: iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.deb.tar.gz
Installing the Printer Utility is optional.

Can the printer independently print a self test?

Does the printer function with a USB connection? You will have to re-establish wi-fi connectivity afterwards
(see viewtopic.php?f=42&t=225289 which shows the Epson-recommended method).

The Device URI on my Printer Properties reads: dnssd://EPSON96CBE0%20(TX720%20Artisan720)._printer._tcp.local/
and Make and Model reads: Epson Artisan 720 - epson-inkjet-printer-escpr 1.6.30-1lsb3.2 (Seiko Epson Corporation LSB 3.2)

In Printer Properties, Policies, State - all three boxes should be ticked.

Addendum
Since you updated from an earlier version of Linux Mint and to eliminate possible corruption during that process, you can try the printer via USB from a live session after installing the printer driver. Note that the installed driver will vanish when you end the live session.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
kckenkc

Post by kckenkc »

The printer prints independently just fine. As previously stated, it even prints from all the other machines in my house, including my laptop running an earlier version of Mint (18.2). I have tried the exact driver you are recommending, but I will standardize on using that one from now on for the rest of the debugging because it is working for you, so that will rule out any driver mismatch issues (given that I have tried 3 different drivers).

The link you provided about re-enabling wifi and usb pertains to scanning configuration. As I mentioned previously, WIFI scanning to the printer works fine on Mint 18.2, 18.3, AND 19. I have not had any problems with any of the scanning functionality using Image Scan! for Linux after the upgrade. I have been using the same driver as you for scanning, and my config files are set up properly for scanning, so no problems there... I can scan, I just can print what I scan :)

Printing from USB is not a great option for me because the printer uses a special USB cable (square-ish on one end and normal usb rectangle on the other) - I don't have one of those "kicking around" so I'd have to go buy one to just to try that out, so I think that would be a last resort debug item. I'm sure the printer came with one, but I bought the thing ages ago, so no idea where that would be...I'm sure it's long since been tossed because I've always used this printer via WIFI from all of my computers.

I will try the clean boot idea ... will have to download mint and burn a DVD to give it a whirl ... if I can print from a fresh DVD boot on Mint 19, then I guess that would indicate something broke in the upgrade process from Mint 18.3 to Mint 19. I'll post back on here after I try that.

Thanks for the help so far.
kckenkc

Post by kckenkc »

OK, so some additional information:

- I downloaded fresh mint 19 DVD. Launch via LIVE-CD and I can connect the printer, and it prints fine. Launch via LIVE-CD in a Virtual Box on my native running Mint 19, and configure the printer and it prints fine from within the Virtual Box image too!

The configuration of the fresh install was a little different, so I re-did the printer using those settings so that the LIVE-CD version and the native version were using all the same settings.
  • lpd://192.168.10.101:515/PASSTHRU
  • Epson Artisan 810 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.13
Changed config, removed printer, added with new values... Still cannot print from the upgraded Mint 19 environment.

So - now we know the printer works fine in Mint 19 and works fine with Mint 19 on this machine, and we know what the connection and driver looks like on a fresh install. What we don't know is what got messed up with the upgrade that is causing my printer to not be able to print.

Any thoughts on what I can look at, and files I should compare between the Virtual Box image that prints fine, and the native/upgraded instance that refuses to print?

Hate to have to back up everything and install Mint 19 from scratch given that everything else is working fine.

Thanks!
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Hate to have to back up everything and install Mint 19 from scratch given that everything else is working fine.
It does not take long to do a fresh installation and that really is your best option. It would be almost impossible to locate what went adrift during your upgrade or even to eliminate a faulty download of the ISO - it pays to do the integrity and authenticity checks - I am not suggesting that you didn't.
I recommend that you consider installing the OS on a separate partition from your home directory. With that setup you can easily install the OS afresh, if you ever need to do so, leaving your personal data in your home directory intact.

Another point to consider is this - only upgrade point releases but install version releases as a new installation. Version releases come with all sorts of changes to the base of the operating system.

After successful installation and restoration of your personal data, delete your existing backup and create a fresh backup.

I do my installations from a USB stick. USB3 is much faster than a DVD. The only drawback is not being able to attach a label to the USB stick :)

Good Luck.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Printers & Scanners”