Solved! HP 4650 will not print - Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
a_greene48

Solved! HP 4650 will not print - Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by a_greene48 »

Recently, my HP 4650 Multifunction printer stopped printing (job gets stuck in "processing" state) after working correctly for several months. I've tried every solution I can find on this forum and from Google searches to no avail. I've installed/uninstalled the printer, hplip, hplip-gui, tried multiple installations of the printer with different drivers, run all the checks (hp-check, hp-doctor) which say everything is in order, but I cannot print a test page nor any other document. I have a Windows 10 VM that has no problem printing to the same WiFi printer, so I'm 100% positive it's not the printer. I've tried booting with previous kernels (currently on 4.150-36, 64-bit) with same results - jobs will sit in the queue in "processing" state until I delete them. Anyone have any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rbmorse

Re: HP 4650 will not print - Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon

Post by rbmorse »

I don't know if this will help with your situation, but my 2025DN does the same thing occasionally -- using Linux, Windows not affected -- and the only way I've found to get it going again is to power cycle the printer. A simple reset won't do it...I have to take it all the way down, wait 15 seconds or so, then power it back up. At that point all the queued jobs start magically appearing.

I used to think this was an artefact of the printer entering power saving mode, but I think I've disabled that and the issue still occurs, occasionally. It only happens if the printer is idle for more than 24 hours, but I don't know if that's cause or coincidence.

The best speculation that HP support came up with is that the network adapter in the printer is getting confused by something in the Linux networking stack and re-initializing the printer clears that up until it happens again.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

I used to have this problem. At the time, I would allow the printer to be assigned an IP address by the DHCP server in my router. After 24 +/- hours, no more printing. Then I decided to assign it a fixed IP address and since then usually no problems.

A short while ago, I decided to run Cat5 from the router to the printer, still with the fixed IP address, and now I have no problems. I can print now, or 2 weeks from now and all is good.
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oxygenfarm »

I use an HP 5530 and sometimes have a problem wherein the printer loses its 'enabled' status for whatever reason. As soon as I right click on the printer and check 'enabled' printing starts.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Some more information about your system might go a long way to getting help.
Post the results of inxi -Fxz an you'll find that some one might be able to give you a more meaningful answer, otherwise we are just guessing.

The responses in this post may assist.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
a_greene48

Post by a_greene48 »

Thanks for the suggestions - still no joy. Results of inxi -Fxz:

System: Host: AG-XPS13 Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64
bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: laptop System: Dell product: XPS 13 9343 serial: N/A
Mobo: Dell model: 0TM99H v: A00 serial: N/A
UEFI: Dell v: A15 date: 01/23/2018
Battery BAT0: charge: 52.7 Wh 105.8% condition: 49.8/52.7 Wh (95%)
model: SMP DELL RWT1R43 status: Full
hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
model: Logitech K520 status: Discharging
hidpp__1: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh
model: Logitech M305 status: Discharging
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-5200U (-MT-MCP-)
arch: Broadwell rev.4 cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8778
clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2206 MHz 2: 2216 MHz 3: 2281 MHz
4: 2215 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel HD Graphics 5500 bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
Card-2 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Def. Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-36-generic
Network: Card: Broadcom Limited BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
driver: wl bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 256.1GB (17.6% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_SSD_PM85 size: 256.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 132G used: 39G (31%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: 47.5C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 213 Uptime: 47 min Memory: 1773.4/7881.6MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56

I tried the "cold start" on the printer, job still stuck in "processing" state. It's always in "enabled" state and has had the same IP address since I installed it a year ago. Pretty frustrating that everything worked until about 10 days ago when I was trying to print boarding passes for an upcoming flight. I had to use my Win10 VM to do the printing, which worked flawlessly. Back in Linux, no go.
a_greene48

Post by a_greene48 »

Also - I tried using the CUPS web interface to install the printer, and tried various drivers. The socket interface is socket://192.168.4.114:9100. Still no luck - jobs go to the print queue and are either "processing" or "printing", but nothing reaches the printer.
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

Since you've mentioned installing, have you seen this post?

If you've already attempted to install hplip from the repos, you might want to purge that attempt and compile the newest available drivers using the instructions in the above referenced post. Might work....
a_greene48

Post by a_greene48 »

Thanks - I had already done that, but I purged hplip and sane, then re-installed hplip 3.18.9 (original version 3.15.9), ran hp-setup and hp-plugin. I installed using the "network" option with manual install with the printer's IP address. Ran hp-check and got no errors or warnings. From hplip-toolbox, I then ran "print test page" and it sent the job to the queue, where it now sits in "Printing" state, but will not print. It's uncanny...this printer worked fine until a few weeks ago, and the only significant change in software was a kernel update. I've booted up with the previous kernel, but still no luck.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Personally, I would check the printer's menu/network settings to see if the printer is communicating with your router/modem at the correct IP Address.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
a_greene48

Post by a_greene48 »

It's not an IP address issue - I entered the IP address manually when setting up the printer. The device list on the router indicates the printer is communicating at that address. The print job is never getting to the printer, which is what seems to be the problem. I get various errors when attempting to print documents (such as "filter failed" or "there was a problem", etc.). I am able to print to this printer from a Windows VM, but not from LM 19 Cinnamon.
a_greene48

Post by a_greene48 »

Final solution for this problem was a re-installation of the latest version of LM 19/Cinnamon. Tried installing over existing system without formatting, but that didn't work, so I backed up my home directory, did the re-install from a "live" USB with the latest .iso and formatted the "/" partition, then restored my backup files. Had to download and re-install some applications but all is good now, particularly printing and scanning.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”