[SOLVED] Printer stopped printing after upgrading to Mint 19 (works in live session)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martinch
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Printer stopped printing after upgrading to Mint 19 (works in live session)

Post by martinch »

Hi guys,

I finally got around to upgrading my PC from Mint 18.3 Cinnamon to 19 Cinnamon today, which was done as an "in place" upgrade, rather than a clean install. After one hiccup (the "dbus-x11 depends on gconf2" issue), and a bit of finger-twiddling, it all seemed to go fine. However, when I tried to print something, I found that printing had stopped working.

Summary of what I did:
  • Booted & confirmed no pending updates in Update Manager
  • Upgraded from Mint 18.3 to 19
  • Rebooted
  • Applied kernel update 4.15.38 (from 4.15.36) which was now showing
  • Tried to print test page & document - no success
When I tried to print something, my printer powered up, "receiving data" appeared on the display, and ... nothing happened. I got the "toasts" in CInnamon to notify me that the job had been sent, and another to say that it had been completed, but nothing came out of the printer. Running "tail -f /var/log/syslog" gives the following when attempting to print (document, test sheet, etc):

Code: Select all

Oct 14 08:57:15 MyPC upowerd[1163]: unhandled action 'unbind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-10/3-10:1.0
Oct 14 08:57:15 MyPC upowerd[1163]: unhandled action 'bind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-10/3-10:1.0
Oct 14 08:57:15 MyPC kernel: [ 2082.868329] usblp0: removed
Oct 14 08:57:16 MyPC kernel: [ 2083.121448] usblp 3-10:1.0: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04F9 pid 0x0439
Oct 14 08:57:16 MyPC upowerd[1163]: unhandled action 'unbind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-10/3-10:1.0
Oct 14 08:57:16 MyPC upowerd[1163]: unhandled action 'bind' on /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb3/3-10/3-10:1.0
The built-in scanner works via Simple Scan, however.

The printer in question is a Brother MFC-L2730DW, which is connected via USB to the PC.

Somewhat frustratingly, if I take a Mint 19 Cinnamon live USB stick, and install the printer under that using Brother's drivers, it can print a test page.

Any ideas of how to fix this in-place before I do a fresh install?

Thanks!

EDIT - SOLVED(ISH): I did a fresh install of Mint 19, installed the drivers off of Brother's site*, restored everything, and it all works (and it only took about an hour, so not too bad). As an aside, I didn't have to do any fiddling to get the scanner working, including for non-admin users - it all just worked. So yeah, it looks like the upgrade process breaks stuff (doh).

* it got picked up via AirPrint/IPP when I switched it on, but I thought I might as well install the Brother drivers, given that I had to install the scanner ones, and the "all-in-one" option is easier than doing the drivers individually ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ampair

Re: Printer stopped printing after upgrading to Mint 19 (works in live session)

Post by ampair »

I second this issue.

I updated from 18.3 to 19, and ever since my Brother DCP-L2520DW stopped working. I already tried a few things, and the result is always the same - the printer flashes a "receiving..." message on the display and then returns to energy saving mode. CUPS reports the job as done, although sometimes a message about a failed filter appears in dmesg and/or the CUPS error log.

What I tried:
  • printing via USB - gives me a usblp0: removed error. Blacklisting usblp doesn't help...
  • printing via WiFi - LPD, IPP, socket, dnssd... all the same
  • purging and reinstalling the official drivers from Brother's website
  • the driverless PPD CUPS offered me during the configuration
  • purging and reinstalling everything CUPS-related in synaptic that cinnamon isn't dependent on
  • my laptop (using up-to-date Arch) can print hassle-free via USB and WiFi
It seems that something was done to the system that Brother printers don't like, because that name keeps popping up wherever I'm looking.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can use same kernel as in 18.3. uname -r gives the running kernel. You can use ukuu to install any kernel.
From advanced mode in grub you can choose any of the installed kernel to boot from.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
martinch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martinch »

OK, so I grabbed an old HDD, and installed a fresh copy of Mint 19 Cinnamon onto that, installed the Brother printer driver & applied all updates (including kernel 4.15.0-36), and ... it scans and prints*. So, it looks like something went wrong in the upgrade step, and a backup, reinstall, and restore will likely fix it (and probably be quicker than trying to debug it).

As an aside, when I booted into a live session and switched the printer on, it added it automatically via AirPrint/IPP. When I switched it on in the "installed environment", it didn't seem to pick it up (unless I was being impatient and installed the Brother driver before it got a chance - I was in a bit of a rush).

* I printed a short ODT onto a piece of scrap paper (which already contained the proper print test from the live session test) in a bid to save paper, and I am assuming everything else is OK, in an "it'll either work or not" kind of way.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”