Mint 19 and HP Photosmart 3210 printer/scanner SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hank New Bee
Level 2
Level 2

Mint 19 and HP Photosmart 3210 printer/scanner SOLVED

Post by Hank New Bee »

Last week I successfully upgraded to Mint 19. Only one problem I've NOT been able to iron out. My USB connected HP 3210 printer scans fine, but will not print anything: not test pages, nothing. All print jobs go into the queue, and by looking at HPLIP Service Status or the Mint printer app and queue, all seems to be "normal" but the print job never leaves the queue. I successfully installed hplip-3.18.9.run, and got no error messages. When I run Diagnose HPLIP Driver from within HPLIP Service Status, again no errors reported. I've tried every trick I can find on this forum or on the web, and have uninstalled and reinstalled a dozen times. I made sure all required dependancies are on board. By the way, the printer prints fine when the computer is bypassed by using the "copy" function, so I know it's mechanically working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Mint 19 and HP Photosmart 3210 printer/scanner

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Hank New Bee
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Mint 19 and HP Photosmart 3210 printer/scanner

Post by Hank New Bee »

Thanks for your tip. However, I have managed to solve the problem, but I'm not sure I know how. Yesterday I removed the old 3210 printer and bought a brand new HP ENVY Photo 7855 (the 3210 was really old anyway). Installed it and same problem. It scanned fine, but would not print a document or a test page. So using Synaptic Package Manager, I removed all HP printer related software. I downloaded the latest HP version of drivers (HPLIP) and ran HPLIP-3.18.9.run. I installed HP's Device Manager and ran the HPLIP Diagnostic tool, which gave a couple of error messages. Those indicated that the permissions on the CUPS file was not correct, so I used SUDO to change them. By this time it was 2am this morning, so I tried one last time and no print!!! Off to bed.

This afternoon I got back at it. When I booted up, Mint Update Manager showed about 3 files to update, one of which was a Ghostwriter file of some sort. I didn't think much about it, but went ahead and updated. Then I turned to the printer problem and guess what: EVERYTHING IS WORKING AS IT SHOULD. Test pages print just fine, as do documents, photos, etc. So after about 2+ days of working on this issue, it's now fixed, but I'm not sure just what fixed it. And I might add that I've left out dozens of other experiments I unsuccessfully tried. For what it's worth, my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone prints directly to the new printer via Bluetooth without problems.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”