Kyocera printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whitehorse

Kyocera printer

Post by whitehorse »

I have no idea how to install this printer, so would appreciate help.

Printer: Kyocera FS-1350DN

Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit v.3.2.7
64-bit for Linux 1.0

I've found what appears to be a new driver at kyoceradocumentsolutions, but if I download it (there are actually 2 files there) to archive manager, I have absolutely no idea what to do with it after that.

If I USB hardwire the printer to the laptop, it identifies it by name, but I can get no further.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Kyocera printer

Post by TopEnder »

G'Day,

Found the following link that may be of help to you, I do not know anything about the Kyocera printer range.

https://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions.be ... html#LINUX

Regards, TopEnder
redlined

Post by redlined »

hi whitehorse!

I am new to linux (my dangerous advice disclaimer:) however, I want to share something that helped me get my HP printer installed, this procedure using web browser and CUPS, How to install a printer under Linux Operative System with CUPS web utility

the PPD file mentioned should be included in the zip file offered on the link TopEnder posted
Linux PPDs PPD 8.4 45.02 KB Linux_PPDs_FS-1350DN.zip

double click archive to see language choice folders, open appropriate one and extract the .PPD as you will need this to tell CUPS what your printer does and how.

Hope this helps!
ckrzen

Post by ckrzen »

Kyocera does indeed have a newer driver for LINUX on their European(*.eu or UK) websites.

The driver is called the "Linux UPD driver with extended feature support 5.0 287.08 MB KyoceraLinux-Ph...-2018.08.29.zip"

I simply unzip the driver and descend into the "Global | English | Ubuntu | 64-bit" folder for the .deb to install and everything works on our USA model unit.

It has a wonderful "Print Panel" app that approximates their Windows KX(PCL XL) driver utility. However, be warned that it is not a 100% match or in parity with the Windows driver. In particular, we have to make the following change to our LINUX driver when using our TASKalfa 7052ci printer under "Ubuntu 18.10":

Code: Select all

$ lpstat -v  #Shows the printers and what device they are attached to.

$ lpadmin -p <your cups-printer-queue-name from previous command> -o pdftops-max-image-resolution-default=300
Example:

chris@CKR-1:~$ lpstat -v
device for DCPL2550DW: lpd://192.168.1.220/BINARY_P1
chris@CKR-1:~$ lpadmin DCPL2550DW -o pdftops-max-image-resolution-default=300
This change allows us to print complex text+graphics PDF's in a time-to-completion similar to the Windows KX driver. Without this change, a 1-minute job for 12-pages in "Booklet(folded+stapled)" can take over 5-minutes!

To return this setting to the default:

Back to default:

lpadmin -p <your cups-printer-queue-name> -R pdftops-max-image-resolution-default

I've also received this information, but I have not had time to test it:

"For the UK our printers are set to PCL as the default emulation
- You can change this to KPDL (AUTO) and a secondary/backup emulation of PCL (for the windows computers)
- Setting the emulation to just KPDL locks the emulation to KPDL v3

Hope this helps!

Return to “Printers & Scanners”