WIC reset Epson XP-400 in Mint 19 Tara Mate SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Catdaddy

WIC reset Epson XP-400 in Mint 19 Tara Mate SOLVED

Post by Catdaddy »

Friends, I have encountered the waste ink pad life shutdown on my Epson XP-400. Epson does not support linux. The aftermarket reset software that requires $ to use doesn't work as is- I am advised to TRY installing an older version of libpng and install using "ignore depends" on another file. There was a freeware version (still on Github) that was last worked on in 2014, and does NOT list my printer as supported. Has anyone found something fast and furious that works? I just went back to work after 11 months as a foster parent and money is TIGHT. I can jump through the hoops, but there's no guarantee that the workarounds will work. Should I make a Windows VM and try the Epson software? WINE lists the trial of an older resetter as "garbage".

I have a LOT of printing I need to do related to the custody of my Grandkids. Any and all help would be appreciated. TIA.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Catdaddy

Re: WIC reset Epson XP-400 in Mint 19 Tara Mate

Post by Catdaddy »

If anyone chooses to reply to this with a solution, it may help others in the future, but here's what I did. The WIC reset software had unsupported dependencies, so i installed libpng12, which required an additional source. I then downloaded the file, and installed it with a "ignore depends" for another file, per the forum instructions. It works! i used the trial key until i can afford the complete reset key. Undoubtedly, no one is putting time in on a freeware solution, as the fee for the key is a measly 9 bucks. I'll wait a few days before i mark this solved.
Catdaddy

Re: WIC reset Epson XP-400 in Mint 19 Tara Mate

Post by Catdaddy »

I thought I'd be a little more exact about how I did this. I DL'd the WIC reset for AMD64 from 2manuals.com- their keys are a buck cheaper than I'd seen elsewhere. The reset is a bit outdated, and will not install, due to unsatisfied dependencies. I had to install libpng12-0 from this link: https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/libpng12-0 . Had to add the repository to software sources.
Then I DL'd the WIC reset to the download folder, opened a terminal there and installed it with this command: sudo dpkg -i --ignore-depends=libpango1.0-0 wicreset-amd64.deb. The program will now run. I used the trial key first, because funds are tight. This resets the counter to 90%, and the printer will work again. I will buy the key for complete reset in a couple weeks and finish the job. The key is $8.99. And there you have it. Hope that helps someone.
tommyhlw

Re: WIC reset Epson XP-400 in Mint 19 Tara Mate SOLVED

Post by tommyhlw »

worked for me without libpng12 in ubuntu 18.04
just downloaded and installed wicreset.deb from http://www.2manuals.com/WIC/linux/?C=M;O=D

Return to “Printers & Scanners”