[solved]cups services and Brother MFC-L2700DW install issues

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jpkalishek

[solved]cups services and Brother MFC-L2700DW install issues

Post by jpkalishek »

Hope for some help sorting out what's up.
System - Mint 19 Tara - Mate, 64 bit on an AMD Ryzen 3 2200G - Gigabyte A320M-2SH board - 16gb ddr4 ram - 960gb ssd.
Printer - Brother MFC-L2700DW connected via usb

Recently built this new box and when trying to install the printer, the system has gone from recognizing the printer, but not printing, to now, not even running the cups services, and under the help feature, the menu choice to check this does not exist for me (Cups Service Stopped the CUPS print spooler does not appear to be running. To Correct this choose System-> Administration-> Services from the main menu and look for cups service).
I have tried the method at Brother (previously used under Mint 17 and 18 without issue), as well as those listed on Pjotr's tips site and nothing worked, I tried the IRC chat room but was given the help of "You did something wrong." no kidding, so after asking if they were a help tech or just chiming in because the user is stating the obvious was told I needed two libs that are listed as being in place, and that they had several Brother printers on a network that worked fine, then nothing remotely helpful after 45 minutes of waiting. So, before violating the use rules I logged off. So, further causing further damage to my system, I post this.

Thanks
JP
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jpkalishek

Re: cups services and Brother MFC-L2700DW install issues

Post by jpkalishek »

A further update.
I have tried removing and reinstalling the drivers, and the cups software, as well as restarting cups via a terminal, and I still have the same issues.
Is there some way to reset all of this without a clean reinstall and try again?

(edit)
Also, if I check Blame, I get the following:
5.179s configure-printer@usb-003-002.service
442ms dev-mapper-mint\x2d\x2dvg\x2droot.device
351ms cups.service
332ms NetworkManager.service
307ms networkd-dispatcher.service
304ms systemd-logind.service
271ms ubuntu-system-adjustments.service
214ms udisks2.service
199ms ModemManager.service
174ms accounts-daemon.service
129ms lvm2-pvscan@8:2.service
129ms gpu-manager.service
128ms networking.service
127ms thermald.service
125ms wpa_supplicant.service
122ms systemd-timesyncd.service
120ms systemd-resolved.service
118ms apparmor.service
112ms upower.service
112ms systemd-journal-flush.service
108ms lightdm.service
107ms keyboard-setup.service
106ms plymouth-quit-wait.service

So, although it says cups isn't running, it is listed as starting ( and taking a bit longer of the time than all but two and printers is the longest. no clue as to what this might or might not have to do with my issue)
jpkalishek

Re: [solved]cups services and Brother MFC-L2700DW install issues

Post by jpkalishek »

I fully removed all cups, and deleted /etc/cups then reinstalled cups, then used Pjotr's instructions for using the brother installer.
Now to see if scanning still works . . . and it does.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”