HP CP: Mint 19 does not let me print in Color, Mint 18.3 does!?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sebbo
Level 2
Level 2

HP CP: Mint 19 does not let me print in Color, Mint 18.3 does!?

Post by sebbo »

Hi,

i have a HP CP1215 laser printer connected to my Odroid SBC. The Odroid runs CUPS and shares the printer in the network.

From my old retired Linux Mint 18.3 laptop i can print easily in colored mode, the Mint Printer Test Page comes out of the printer in full color.
Also the Colored toner does not seem to be empty, at least the printer itself is not blinking any of it's LEDs...

Now i tried to add the printer on my new laptop running Mint 19, via the "Find network Printer" and gave it the IP of the CUPS server.

The printer can be added, but when i print the test page it comes out Black&White.

When i try to change the Color mode from Monochrome to Color in the printer setup, it immediately switches back to Monochrome.

All while the other laptop still prints colored...

So as i also did not change something in the CUPS setup on the Odroid, i think i must have missed something on my new laptop.

But on the old it was rather plug&play the last time i did this years ago.

So how would i tackle this?

HPLib Gui does not help me because it only seems to work for printers which are connected locally or via the HP network protocol which my printer does not understand (its a USB one.. pretty old..)

Any hints?
Thank you!

br
sebastian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: HP CP: Mint 19 does not let me print in Color, Mint 18.3 does!?

Post by Lord Boltar »

You can configure CUPS from a browser by adding "http://localhost:631" (without quotes) in the URL bar of the browser. That will access the CUPS configuration application.

However, by default, and for security reasons, root will be unable to connect to a non-root user's X server, and you wont be able to access the CUPS printer configuration unless you give the root user permission to do so. You do that in the following manner:
As user, open a terminal and enter this command: xhost + localhost

Now the root user can run a graphical application such as a browser within the users environment.

Now, using the firefox browser as an example, if you use the kde environment, run the command: kdesu firefox
to run firefox as root.

Or, if you use the gnome desktop, run the command: gksu firefox.

Once firefox is open, enter http://localhost:631 in the url bar.

In the resulting page, click on Manage Printers. The page that comes up should list your printer. You can then edit the configuration by clicking on the Edit button and go through the prompts to configure it to your liking.

When done, exit the browser.

Once you have made a change to a configuration file you need to restart the CUPS server by sending it a HUP signal or using the supplied initialization script. The CUPS distributions install the script in the init.d directory with the name cups. The location varies based upon the operating system, but Mint probably uses the same location as it's ancestor distro Debian.

/etc/init.d/cups restart

That will make your changes take effect immediately.

Now, back in the terminal, as user, enter xhost - localhost to reverse the command given earlier.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing
sebbo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: HP CP: Mint 19 does not let me print in Color, Mint 18.3 does!?

Post by sebbo »

Thanks a lot for your extensive reply.

However, i run Mint 19 XFCE and gksudo has been exchanged in favor of pkexec.

I'm trying to run firefox as root with pkexec for half an hour now, can't seem to find the right information though...

I'snt it supposed to be just

pkexec firefox

?

Code: Select all

pkexec firefox
Error: no DISPLAY environment variable specified

DISPLAY=0:0 pkexec firefox
Error: no DISPLAY environment variable specified

DISPLAY=0:0 pkexec echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

could you help me on this please?

Thanks a lot!