Recommend a sub $80 all in one mostly for scanning?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Recommend a sub $80 all in one mostly for scanning?

Post by wutsinterweb »

I have a Samsung ML 2010 that still runs great (except with cheap paper) laser printer and it is still supported.

I'm being told that I need to get with the program of life and get a new All In One printer so I can send in check stubs and other legal stuff.

What do you recommend for LM in AiO products that have driver support? I'm not too worried about ink costs because my laser printer will almost always do printing but a very occasional color print might be needed. I've been told getting a cheap all in one is more cost effective and cheap than a stand alone scanner.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Recommend a sub $80 all in one mostly for scanning?

Post by banjo »

The HP printers work very well with Linux, and they are not very expensive. The Linux driver set, HPLIP, is supported by HP and works with many of their printers.

I have an HP Deskjet 3510 with print/scan/copy, and it hooks up using WiFi, so I can put it anywhere. I think it cost about $100, but that was a few years ago so I am not sure. Don't know what you can get for 80 bucks.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

My only caveat would be, if you get a cheap AIO printer lean towards a laser unless you use the inkjet regularly, The nozzles have a habit of blocking up and in many cases cannot be cleaned reliably. Some HP inkjets and a few other brands do have the printhead built into the cartridge which does ensure a reliable output, however, it makes the cost of consumables somewhat scary. If you get one of those cheap inkjets that have a single cartridge you end up wasting a pile of ink when one colour runs out. Of course, a cheap AIO, if only ever used as a scanner might be a cheap way to go.

Keep and eye out at you local auction houses, often they sell ex government gear at a fraction of replacement cost, I have an HP CM1312 mfp that I picked up for $80 a year or so ago, I got a smaller epson Laser MFP for my son only a few weeks back for $50. Of course, you may need consumables on top, but often I see devices with toner and waste bottles too.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

I would avoid inkjet printers that do not incorporate the print head in the cartridge, especially if the print function will see light use. I had an old Epson printer once that had separate color cartridges and separate print heads. I bought it because the ink refills were cheaper, and I could buy just the color I was out of.

After a couple of years, the print heads clogged up and could not be cleaned. The cost of replacement print heads was more than I paid for the printer, so I had to throw it out. It was a photo printer, and the ink was pigment ink rather then dye ink. The small particles in the pigments virtually guarantee that the heads will clog sooner or later, which is not the case with the dyes. The cartridges that have the heads incorporated cost more, but the printer will last longer.

The problem I see with a used printer/scanner is that you can't tell whether or not it will work... and it is a boat anchor if it doesn't. You may get a good deal, or you could just throw your money away. It's a crapshoot.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I have a Canon Pixma MX340 AIO (about 8 years old) and it works great on LM 19 x64. Drivers are now included in LM 19.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

I've been using Mint for over 4 years, but I'm still a slow learner. I have a website: https://pickfetish.com. It is dedicated to guitar/instrument picks.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that's a good price, too.

you do have to be careful of using AIO as their ink price is quite high,
& as others have said, they do block up & you are then up for an new one ..
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

I've been very happy with my Brother MFC-J450 purchased 3 years ago ($69). Used primarily for scanning and when the need for color printing is required. My b&w laser handles the rest. Also a Brother purchased 10 years ago.

This series uses individual color cartridges which helps keep costs down. Found LD brand new ink cartridges work perfectly and are even less than those from Brother at Newegg.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Well, good news:

My Canon TR4520 All in one printer came.

It was a challenge to set up, because Canon didn't give any instructions for Linux and the little window in the printer doesn't help much. But I figured it out pretty quickly considering what I've learned so far and it works well. Very excited. If anyone else needs help let me know, and I will try hard to remember all the steps I took. I have it connected via WiFi.

Happy.

Here are some tips on setting it up:

Just installing drivers won't make it work via network, it has to be paired with your router and I used the WPS button on my router and managed to get into the settings from a cold startup of the device. You have to push the menu button down for several seconds to get to the settings and when paring with WPS hold down that button for several seconds.

For Mint, get the debian drivers and chmod and ./install.sh the drivers.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

wutsinterweb wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:14 pm Well, good news:

My Canon TR4520 All in one printer came.

It was a challenge to set up, because Canon didn't give any instructions for Linux and the little window in the printer doesn't help much. But I figured it out pretty quickly considering what I've learned so far and it works well. Very excited. If anyone else needs help let me know, and I will try hard to remember all the steps I took. I have it connected via WiFi.

Happy.

Here are some tips on setting it up:

Just installing drivers won't make it work via network, it has to be paired with your router and I used the WPS button on my router and managed to get into the settings from a cold startup of the device. You have to push the menu button down for several seconds to get to the settings and when paring with WPS hold down that button for several seconds.

For Mint, get the debian drivers and chmod and ./install.sh the drivers.
That's a good printer! Canon is marginally more difficult to install under Linux than HP (I'm an HP printer fan), but once you have it, the Canon works well. I would recommend that you write down the steps you took to install the driver including any hardware setup actions you needed to do. It might help someone else, and it might help you also in case of recovering from a catastrophe :idea: or simply getting a newer printer someday. I keep lots of text notes on my PC and on my laptop for different setups and other processes.
wutsinterweb
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wutsinterweb »

Good idea, when I get home from the Holiday I'll install on my laptop and write one up. I'm not sure how to get a router to work with the printer without using the WPS router method.
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

On my system, the router negotiated a fixed IP address for the printer. I think I initiated that sequence from the printer.

Since the printer installation process uses the IP address of the printer to talk to it, you don't want the IP getting moved around by the DHCP. After installing the printer, if you subsequently boot up the printer after some other devices have connected (phones, tablets, thermostats, light bulbs....) the printer might get a different IP address from the one that you set it up with, and the computer will not be able to find it anymore. You need to fix the IP address of the printer in the router. I vaguely remember that having something to do with the WPS button, but I could be wrong on that.

Banjo
(_)=='=~

Return to “Printers & Scanners”