How to use Simple Scan with Canon PIXMA MG3620?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

How to use Simple Scan with Canon PIXMA MG3620?

Post by SueS »

Hello,

I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 Sylvia (64-bit).

I have a Canon PIMXA MG3620 that is connected with a USB cable. I am able to print just fine. However, Simple Scan doesn't detect that printer (even when it's turned on and I've confirmed that it is not asleep). I get an error message that says, "Please check your scanner is connected and powered on" when I open Simple Scan to make a scan. I checked on Canon's website to make sure that I have the current drivers for the printer installed, but the website (http://www.usa.canon.com/internet/porta ... _downloads says, "There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver."

I noticed that the version of Simple Scan that I have installed is 3.20.0. However on Simple Scan's website (http://launchpad.net/simple-scan the most recent version is 3.25.1. Could this be the problem? This version is not available through the Software Manager. If the problem is the out of date version, what are the commands for unzipping and installing version 3.25.1?

Any suggestions on how to get Simple Scan working with this printer would be much appreciated!
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to use Simple Scan with Canon PIXMA MG3620?

Post by powerwagon75 »

Hi SueS,

I have an HPJ6480, and a Canon Pixma MP620.

Try this. When you open SImple Scan, click on the small icon in the very left corner of the top bar, and from the drop down, select Preferences.

When that box pops up, wait a while, and see if "Scan Source" box eventually populates. I don't know why it behaves this way, but Simple Scan seems to have a delay anywhere from 10 seconds, up to a minute, before it "finds" my devices.

I have found that if I open a web browser tab, and type: localhost:631 in the address bar/press enter (it will likely ask for your user ID/password), it will often speed up the recognition process, although again, I don't know how, or why the delay is there. That web address is for webpage CUPS management. You can manage/modify/add printers, etc there. We don't do that much printing here, so I just got used to using Simple Scan that way. If you open Simple Scan and push "scan" right away, you will get the error message you saw, if it hasn't found the device(s) yet. Not a proper fix by any means, but something you can try to see if Simple Scan will pick up on it.

Since you are able to otherwise print, I'm suspecting your experiencing the same lag/delay I see.

Eric
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SueS »

Hello Eric,

Thanks very much for your quick reply and suggestions. I tried waiting (more than 7 minutes) for the drop-down to populate from the Preferences menu in Simple Scan, but, alas, it doesn't do so. I am able to see and access my printer from the the localhost:631. But from there, I can't figure out how to check the scanner settings. Do you know how? Also, when the sign-in screen pops up what are the login id and password for? Are they for the computer or the printer or something else?

Many thanks again,
Sue
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Hi SueS,

The webpage for CUPS has you log in for security, since it's using a browser page, and because if you go to the right page, you can get in to, and edit *.conf files for CUPS.

If CUPS had the capability, it seems it would have eventually showed. Using your web-link reference, there is a *.deb driver install for the scan portion, ScanGear MP Ver. 3.20 for Linux (debian Packagearchive). On that page, in the "OS" option box, click on it, then scroll all the way to the bottom, and pick just plain "linux", not the 32/64 bit selections. Drivers will then populate when you click on it. My older Pixma M620 has always worked, so not familiar with whether that particular driver will install, or help if installed. I would go with the *.deb install option though.
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SueS »

Hi Eric,

Thanks again. I went to the Canon website I listed previously and from the drop-down menu to just the Linux OS. That took me to this website: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... _downloads. There are two Debian Packageararchive files IJ Printer Driver Ver. 5.20 for Linux and ScanGearMP Ver. 3.20 for Linux. I'm guessing I should use the Ver. 5.20, but thought I'd check to see which one you suggest.

Sue
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Hi Sue,

If your printer is a newer model, you could try the newer driver version. (I "think" it adds to your CUPS program--don't believe its something you'd have to run insmod for) Just keep in mind, if not installing a file from a regular source (Software Center, Synaptic Package Manager), that you're installing something outside of normal procedures. Hopefully the vendor instructions are concise/accurate.

If you download that 5.2 version, the /cnijfilter2-source-5.20-1/cmdtocanonij2/ directory in the package file contains a file called "INSTALL". It is a text file, with some guidance how to proceed with installation.

I'm not sure it has to do with CUPS or not, although you can certainly try. I was fooling around with this last night, and now my scanning hangs indefinitely when searching for a scanner. I have Simple-Scan, and gscan2pdf, and both behave the same way.
-----------------------------------------------------------
And after pausing to eat dinner, I have some more info. Seems that running px aux in terminal earlier was showing multiple instances of scanning programs open. Using System Monitor, and looking at the properties for those PIDs, I discovered they were zombie processes. I had ran ps -o ppid 12345 (use your applicable PID#) in terminal to discover the parent process, and all zombie items were children of cinnamon. I restarted cinnamon, zombie processes still present, and went to eat. When I came back the zombie processes were gone, and now the scanners are working again.

Both scanning programs wait 90 seconds before presenting a list of possible scanners. I did a quick look as to where this parameter might be, but have not found it as of yet.

Are you able to close Simple-Scan normally each time it fails to find a scanner and you quit the program? These here are both requiring a forced shutdown once they quit working--which is tied to leaving the zombie processes hanging around.
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SueS »

Hi,

Thanks again for the additional info. I'm going to try these out over the next couple of days. I'll reply when I'm able to scan or have reached another dead end. But, in the meantime, yes, I am able to quit Simple Scan each time without problems even though the program doesn't detect my printer.

Stay tuned...
Skalman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Skalman »

Hello...just solved my Canon printer.
For the printer function you can have the file /cnijfilter2-source-5.20-1/cmdtocanonij2/ but the LinuxMint Mate 19.1 picked up it and works.
For the scanner function you need the file scangearmp2 or later. And must connect with the USB cabel to the printer.
Se the viewtopic.php?f=51&t=284421&p=1575545#p1575545.
After that install the SipmleScane works for me.
Pangolin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pangolin »

Hi all.
I've recently bought a Canon TS8200 series all-in-one printer, installed the drivers but I can't get it to work with Simple Scan: the scanner won't be detected even though it works properly using Canon's scangearmp2 tool, but it is a bit too basic for my needs :roll:
Any ideas about how to point Simple Scan at the scanner?
Thank you.
I'm here thanks to Windows 10
SueS
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SueS »

Hello,

An update: I just upgraded to Linux Mint 19.1 (which I love, so far). Although the release notes for it reference some problems with scanning, I have not experienced them. I can now use Simple Scan without problems. It worked without me having to perform any changes or download/install any new or different drivers. I'd encourage any readers who are having problems completing one of the workarounds for the older versions of Linux Mint to strongly consider upgrading to a newer version of the OS if all the other solutions fail or seem too labor intensive.

Sue
NewToLinuxxx

Post by NewToLinuxxx »

very very cool of you to update the functionality 'fix' worked, was literally just trying to decide if I should drive-out to a Target to buy this model so was nice to find a quick thread like this (thanks a ton for adding, in 1st line of OP, that printing functionality was a-ok for this model- you know how hit&miss printers can be on *nix!)

Return to “Printers & Scanners”