All-In-One Printer Recommendation (LM18.3/19.1 MATE)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JBHoren

All-In-One Printer Recommendation (LM18.3/19.1 MATE)

Post by JBHoren »

Subject says it all. I must be one of a handful of retired GNUnix sysadmins who doesn't have a printer/scanner at home. It's as they say: "The shoemaker's children go barefoot".

So, something within the last 1-2 model years; don't need high-speed or large duty-cycle; Ethernet connectivity preferred, but USB acceptable (WiFi a non-starter... not gonna buy another card for my desktop); inexpensive... sub-$100 preferred.

Recommendations? First-hand experience talks; BS walks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: All-In-One Printer Recommendation (LM18.3/19.1 MATE)

Post by deepakdeshp »

Wi fi dongles are cheap.
https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WN725N ... gLN2_D_BwE
There are even cheaper ones than this.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
redlined

Post by redlined »

JBHoren wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:35 pm Subject says it all. I must be one of a handful of retired GNUnix sysadmins who doesn't have a printer/scanner at home. It's as they say: "The shoemaker's children go barefoot".

So, something within the last 1-2 model years; don't need high-speed or large duty-cycle; Ethernet connectivity preferred, but USB acceptable (WiFi a non-starter... not gonna buy another card for my desktop); inexpensive... sub-$100 preferred.

Recommendations? First-hand experience talks; BS walks.

hi JBHoren!

I don't really have an full multi-function printer experience to share, but will say my HP Officejet pro 6978 works fine for print and scan needs locally and I do not recall installing anything besides hplip-gui to get it going. the 6978 is a few years old and has ethernet, usb and wifi capability, but older may be better in your case when trying to keep it under $100.

For a read ahead view to consider printer support for the popular brands from a LM perspective take a look at one of our forum experts pages, EasyLinuxTips project. From the main page scroll down about halfway to item I.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com

I. Printers and scanners
1. Install Samsung printers (all models)
2. Install HP printers (all models)
3. Install Brother printers (all models)
4. Install Canon PIXMA printers

Hope this helps, and good luck getting some (printing) shoes on quick!
(because... baby, it's cold outside! :mrgreen:
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

I bought the HP Envy 4520 all-in-one printer last year at Sam’s for approx $50. It connects wirelessly via my Frontier router (no dongle required). Works well on W10 and Cinnamon and VirtualBox. It does scan, copy & print (no fax). No Color!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I'm kinda partial to HP printers. HP's HPLIP drivers support about 3000 different printers, and come installed by default in most Linux distros.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
redlined

Post by redlined »

jimallyn wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:50 pm I'm kinda partial to HP printers. HP's HPLIP drivers support about 3000 different printers, and come installed by default in most Linux distros.
I concur! and yes, hplip is Mint OOTB
(HP printers are cool, laptops- another story :evil: :lol:

jimallyn have you checked the hplip-gui which is in repos but not default install... some very cool tools in that box~
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

HP CM1312 here print and scan from anywhere on my network and don't have to worry about wifi, (it is not wifi enabled and does plug in to the network). Have a look at govt auctions, You can usually pick up a relatively recent laser printer with all the bells and whistles for way less than the new price. Often with a reasonable amount of toner left, and sometimes with spare toner, waste bottles to boot.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Printers & Scanners”