Canon ip7250 can't print from wifi

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Canon ip7250 can't print from wifi

Post by Pierre »

the options: "IPP network printer via DNS-SD" is how my Epson XP-442 MFD is installed.

the default options, did seem to work, okay, by clicking on the 'Forward' icon.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

To continue the fun, look at the print dialog of LibreOffice. Unlike the GTK dialog, the LibreOffice one consults CUPS. What is seen there is what CUPS sees, so it will enumerate your printer correctly and a temporary queue will be formed (as it was with the CLI command) when the entry is printed to.
Strictly speaking, this is only correct for LibreOffice for cantfind's particular situation. It can be arranged for LibreOffice to enumerate a permanent queue. In practice a user would not notice the difference.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

cantfind wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:13 am

Code: Select all

$ lpadmin -p ip7200 -v ipp://Canon%20iP7200%20series._ipp._tcp.local/ -E -m everywhere
lpadmin: Unable to create PPD file: No such file or directory
It added a printer with a /dev/null URI...
Maybe

https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5370

I wonder what

driverless
gives for the URI?
--
Brian.
cantfind

Post by cantfind »

brian_p wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 am
I was able to add the printer on my Mint 17.3 system and it works properly there, so it seems to be a regression in the more recent system.
Not a regression but simply changes to the printing system accomodating modern printer technology. Some users have difficulties adjusting to them.
When Mint's Printer configuration panel wasn't part of that upgrade, as well as the GTK print dialogue.. And no GUI tool is available to configure the printer's defaults, to see the printer's info or send a test page etc. using that modern way - I'd say the problem isn't with the users.

Having a modern system supported only through the CLI or only in a few applications while silently deprecating Mint's Printer panel (which, as far as I know the only GUI tool for viewing\adding printers on the system) for certain printers by giving cryptic error messages isn't a step forward.

This should be fixed.
cantfind

Post by cantfind »

brian_p wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:28 pm
cantfind wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:13 am

$ lpadmin -p ip7200 -v ipp://Canon%20iP7200%20series._ipp._tcp.local/ -E -m everywhere
It added a printer with a /dev/null URI...
Maybe

https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5370

I wonder what

driverless
gives for the URI?

$ driverless
ipp://411824000000.local:631/ipp/print
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Does

lpadmin -p ip7200 -v ipp://411824000000.local:631/ipp/print -E -m everywhere
complete without error?
--
Brian.
cantfind

Post by cantfind »

$ lpadmin -p ip7200 -v ipp://411824000000.local:631/ipp/print -E -m everywhere
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

cantfind wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm
I was able to add the printer on my Mint 17.3 system and it works properly there, so it seems to be a regression in the more recent system.
Not a regression but simply changes to the printing system accomodating modern printer technology. Some users have difficulties adjusting to them.
When Mint's Printer configuration panel wasn't part of that upgrade, as well as the GTK print dialogue.. And no GUI tool is available to configure the printer's defaults, to see the printer's info or send a test page etc. using that modern way - I'd say the problem isn't with the users.

Having a modern system supported only through the CLI or only in a few applications while silently deprecating Mint's Printer panel (which, as far as I know the only GUI tool for viewing\adding printers on the system) for certain printers by giving cryptic error messages isn't a step forward.
How can any upgrade of an OS include upgrades to system-config-printer (which is what Mint's Printer configuration panel uses) and the GTK dialog when the respective upstream's haven't yet completely adjusted to the changes in CUPS? The CUPS web interface is a GUI tool (it's on the system); that works well.
This should be fixed.
That's what bug reports are intended to achieve.
--
Brian.
cantfind

Post by cantfind »

brian_p wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:16 pm
cantfind wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm

How can any upgrade of an OS include upgrades to system-config-printer (which is what Mint's Printer configuration panel uses) and the GTK dialog when the respective upstream's haven't yet completely adjusted to the changes in CUPS? The CUPS web interface is a GUI tool (it's on the system); that works well.
This should be fixed.
That's what bug reports are intended to achieve.
Edit: Ah, I just found http://127.0.0.1:631/admin I guess this should replace the Printers panel for LAN printers.

I'll file the bug reports - initially, I thought this is the right place, but from your reply it seems Mint isn't the right team to fix this, but rather the Debian team working on system-config-printer and the GTK team?

So https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/
and email to submit@bugs.debian.org would be the correct places?

Also, wasn't this the GTK bug? was it reintroduced? They say it was solved, or was it?
Last edited by cantfind on Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I'll file the bug reports - initially, I thought this is the right place, but from your reply it seems Mint isn't the right team to fix this, but rather the Debian team working on system-config-printer and the GTK team?

So https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/
and email to submit@bugs.debian.org would be the correct places?
More or less correct. But, because you are essentially using Ubuntu's bionic, Launchpad would be a more suitable place than Debian. Also look at the submitted issues at

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/

and

https://github.com/zdohnal/system-config-printer
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

cantfind wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:14 pm

$ lpadmin -p ip7200 -v ipp://411824000000.local:631/ipp/print -E -m everywhere
Thanks.

No idea why you get that. A CUPS bug possibly? Very disappointing!
--
Brian.
cantfind

Post by cantfind »

Where do I file a CUPS bug?
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

cantfind wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:49 pm Where do I file a CUPS bug?
https://github.com/apple/cups/
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

You are printing using the Gutenprint driver. That is good. Better to print with a driver than without it.

For me, the most interesting part of what we are discussing is the fact that, after using 'lpstat -e, you were able to print with 'lp -d ....'. Something to hold on to, I think.

The job had to go somewhere and the URI shown with 'lpstat -e' seems the most valid, logical place. And yet, using the same URI with lpadmin gives an error. Very perplexing.
--
Brian.
cantfind

Post by cantfind »

There's this which seems to be referring to my issue as far as GTK is concerned. - correct me if I'm wrong
cantfind

Post by cantfind »

brian_p wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm
You are printing using the Gutenprint driver. That is good. Better to print with a driver than without it.

For me, the most interesting part of what we are discussing is the fact that, after using 'lpstat -e, you were able to print with 'lp -d ....'. Something to hold on to, I think.

The job had to go somewhere and the URI shown with 'lpstat -e' seems the most valid, logical place. And yet, using the same URI with lpadmin gives an error. Very perplexing.
When I added my printer manually on the Printers panel as described above, I used that URI shown by lpstat, and it worked (but not driverless) - so I guess it's a good URI...

I saw this on the CUPS github, which may be my problem - but the thing is - this printer is advertised as supporting AirPrint, so I don't know why I get this error.
cantfind

Post by cantfind »

What do I need the URI to be for

ipptool
to work?

ipp://Canon%20iP7200%20series._ipp._tcp.local 
gives

ipptool: Bad URI - Missing resource in URI.
Tried adding /Printers/Canon-iP7200 or /print or /Printers/print or /ipp/print... all give

ipptool: Unable to connect to Canon iP7200 series._ipp._tcp.local on port 631 - Name or service not known
But

ipptool -tv ipp://411824000000.local:631/ipp/print get-printer-attributes.test
works fine.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

cantfind wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:36 pm
brian_p wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:13 pm

When I added my printer manually on the Printers panel as described above, I used that URI shown by lpstat, and it worked (but not driverless) - so I guess it's a good URI...

I'd agree.
I saw this on the CUPS github, which may be my problem - but the thing is - this printer is advertised as supporting AirPrint, so I don't know why I get this error.
I saw that too and thought it didn't fit. There again, I don't think the link I gave was the best of fits either.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

cantfind wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:30 pm There's this which seems to be referring to my issue as far as GTK is concerned. - correct me if I'm wrong
You are correct. A companion bug is here.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

cantfind wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:27 pm What do I need the URI to be for

ipptool
to work?
I would think that

ippfind
would provide a valid one. My understanding is that an ipp://.... URI has the form
  • ipp://<ip_address_or_hostname>:[port_number]/<resource>

ipp://Canon%20iP7200%20series._ipp._tcp.local 
gives

ipptool: Bad URI - Missing resource in URI.
Tried adding /Printers/Canon-iP7200 or /print or /Printers/print or /ipp/print... all give

ipptool: Unable to connect to Canon iP7200 series._ipp._tcp.local on port 631 - Name or service not known
Canon%20iP7200%20series is the printer name-and-model, not an address or hostname. It cannot be resolved.
But

ipptool -tv ipp://411824000000.local:631/ipp/print get-printer-attributes.test
works fine.
That URI seems right to me. Your avahi-browse output gives the hostname and resource path (rp=).
So - why does it not set up an everywhere queue but give "Unable to create PPD file: No such file or directory"?
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”