Scanner not found Brother MFC-J995DW

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Scanner not found Brother MFC-J995DW

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

I am trying to get my new printer to scan, but get message scanner not found when I open Simple Scan or XSANE. I have set it up for wireless printing without issue and downloaded the printer drivers from Brother and installed them. I previously had a Brother MFC-5490CN installed with scanner working so I believe all the prerequisites are done. I am trying to set up the scanner to work wirelessly
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Scanner not found Brother MFC-J995DW

Post by Pjotr »

Maybe this helps:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html

Note the hack at step 10.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks
I believe those links are copied to /usr/lib/sane. I am now getting a message
~$ sudo scanimage
[sudo] password for david:
scanimage: open of device brother4:net1;dev0 failed: Invalid argument

I am in a bit of a muddle. I have drivers installed for my old printer(MFC 5490CN), drivers installed by Mint when it recognized the wireless printer and drivers I installed using the install tool at Brother's site. In the configure printers under administration I now have 3 printers listed, only one prints but does not scan.
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I believe the release notes for Mint 19.1 have a pointer to issues with scanners / libsane regression...

https://linuxmint.com/rel_tessa_cinnamon.php

...and this bug report.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1728012
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

@Pojtr

I notice there is no /usr/lib64/libbrscandec*.so* file there for my printer. There appears to be .so files there for my old printer (br3) but not for my new one (br4). I feel like it would be best to purge all the printer driver files and start again but I don't know how

@ClixTrix
I went through the bug report and tried suggestions for br4scan printers to no avail. I'm stuck

If I try XSANE I get this error message now

Code: Select all

Failed to open device 'brother4:net 1;dev0': Invalid Argument
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

OK, I hooked up a USB connection to the printer and it scans. When I open XSANE I get an error

Failed to Create File: Permission Denied
Then when I dismiss the error XSANE opens and I am give the choice of :

Brother MFCJ995DW MFC-J995DW [brother4:net1;dev0]
or

Brother MFCJ995DW USB Scanner [brother4:bus4;dev4]
The second one(USB) works the first one doesn't.
Is wireless scanning not possible?
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Scanner not found Brother MFC-J995DW[SOLVED]

Removed Brother related packages using Synaptic and started over using the instructions on the Brother site https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... &type3=625 and https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linu ... edirect=on and it is working fine now wirelessly
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

You beat me to the suggestion: try removing and reinstalling. :D Glad it's working.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”