Epson scanner with Tessa 19.1 (Cinnamon 64-bit)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Epson scanner with Tessa 19.1 (Cinnamon 64-bit)

Post by brian_p »

Brian, your "EPSON5F56B9.local" gives the same result as before:

roland@roland-All-Series:~$ scanimage -L
device `imagescan:esci:networkscan://EPSON5F56B0.local:1865' is a Epson XP-530
Roland,

The scanimage command working with EPSON5F56B0.local means it can be resolved to get an IP address. That implies that

Code: Select all

ping -c 3 EPSON5F56B0.local
and

nmap EPSON5F56B0.local 
should also work. Do they?
--
Brian.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

The new imagescan backend is used by ALL scanner packages: Image Scan, XSane, and Simple Scan.

The ONLY .conf file that requires modification for network use of the scanner is the imagescan.conf file, per prior instructions and Epson's Image Scan PDF guide (link previously provided).
ro82

Post by ro82 »

Tuesday fiddling (with "netstat -nalp") gives this:

# /etc/imagescan/imagescan.conf -- Image Scan configuration
# Refer to the documentation for details on the configuration options
# for the software. Plugins should come with their own documentation
# if they have configuration options.
#
# Lines starting with a # or a ; are comments. Comments must be on a
# line of their own. End-of-line comments are not supported.

[devices]

myscanner.udi = esci:networkscan://192.168.1.12:631
myscanner.vendor = Epson
myscanner.model = XP-530

usb

And this:
roland@roland-All-Series:~$ sudo lsof -i :631
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
cupsd 2444 root 6u IPv4 37710 0t0 TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
cupsd 2444 root 7u IPv6 37711 0t0 TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
cups-brow 2445 root 7u IPv4 36563 0t0 UDP *:ipp

BUT, the same operational results as yesterday with Imagescan 3.50 (device scans, but file not saved) and SimpleScan (no connection) software.
ro82

Post by ro82 »

Thank you, ClixTrix. The Epson Manual couldn't be more clear. But, at the risk of a rhetorical question, especially at this point, why won't it save the scanned .pdf under the specified /imagescan/.conf setting of :1865?

If I am really hitting the wall on this, what do you think about a delete and re-instal of:
1) imagescan 3.50?

or (the sledge hammer...)

2) a complete re-instal of Mint 19.1???
ro82

Post by ro82 »

Thanks for getting back to me, Brian.

Here is what we get with the IP you suggest in /imagescan.conf:

roland@roland-All-Series:~$ ping -c 3 EPSON5F56B0.local
ping: EPSON5F56B0.local: Name or service not known
roland@roland-All-Series:~$ nmap EPSON5F56B0.local

Starting Nmap 7.60 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-01-29 17:38 CET
Failed to resolve "EPSON5F56B0.local".
WARNING: No targets were specified, so 0 hosts scanned.
Nmap done: 0 IP addresses (0 hosts up) scanned in 5.05 seconds
roland@roland-All-Series:~$

But more importantly, as just communicated to ClixTrix, both SimpleScan (no connection) and imagescan 3.50 (connection, scanner works, preview image appears, file icon opens on Desktop, but then disappears when scanner has completed its passes). This is the situation using the "EPSON5F56B0.local" IP, or both the :631 and the Epson-specified :1865 port designations in /imagescan.conf.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Starting Nmap 7.60 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2019-01-29 17:38 CET
Failed to resolve "EPSON5F56B0.local".
The failure to resolve indictates either have a firewall in service or a broken system. It shouldn't matter whether you use EPSON5F56B0.local or epson5f56bo.local.
--
Brian.
ro82

Post by ro82 »

Thanks Brian. I haven't tried turning the ufw off, even if I have been aware of tat work around since Mint 17 days. I will keep everyone posted.
ro82

Post by ro82 »

No difference, with or without the firewall, sorry to report.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I've installed the latest Epson all-in-one package to a freshly installed test system with Mint 19.1 Cinnamon. Note: I updated 19.1 with all current updates from Update Manager to be current as of this morning. After install of package, I modified the imagescan.conf file consistent with Epson install documentation for my network connection (exactly per prior posts). I also connected the scanner via USB to the test system with USB 2.0 cable. I then rebooted the system.

Simple Scan does have a problem with my scanner and use of "Automatic" for Page Size and the Epson imagescan backend (either network or USB). What did fix/work for me was to use the upper left icon on the Simple Scan menu and select Preferences and then change Page Size to something other than Automatic (I selected Letter for testing for both the network and USB). That stopped Simple Scan from starting a scan and simply failing with no message.....although I was able to find an error by running Simple Scan from terminal in debug mode, i.e. simple-scan -d (where -d is debug mode).

I could not get Image Scan to fail with either network or USB connection. You've stated you are selecting Desktop (assume you are double-clicking on Desktop in the save menu) and the icon is there and disappears after the scan is complete. I did the same procedure and that worked for me (although I've never tried using Desktop folder for scanning). You might try scanning to the Documents folder or create a new folder and see if the behavior repeats with the new save location.

Sorry I've been away this week. I really needed to run some tests and see if I could figure-out why you're failing. I am suspicious that changes beyond any recommended by Epson might cause problems. Not sure if you can undo any/all prior to testing again with only the one set of changes to imagescan.conf.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I'll give what are probably my final thoughts on this issue.

Right at the beginning you said that when you are working with the live image:
Brian, the scanner works nicely with no added software, using Simple Scan with my live LM 19.1 image on my USB drive
I assume that, when you install from it, you are getting exactly what the Live image provides. That assumes that there is no added software, no tweaks, nothing done on the final product; it is as basic as one can get. In that case, I cannot see why scanning should not work with the epson2 backend, as it did on the Live image.

I would install to a different disk or another partition to test the equality of Live image and installed image.

Your other issue is resolution of EPSON5F56B0.local or epson5f56bo.local. How this might be related to your scanning problems I haven't thought through. But with the Live image:

ping epson5f56bo.local
and

ping epson5f56bo.local
should work. Knowing the IP address of the printer, that could be substituted for epson5f56bo.local.
--
Brian.
ro82

Post by ro82 »

Thank you for your continued guidance, ClixTrix and Brian.

I am now fully print & scan operational, after Complete Removal and re-installing the latest (Jan 2019) Epson software. I couldn't get anywhere attempting the "epkowa.conf" workaround that Clem has suggested in his 19.1 Release Notes.

The printer now works again, and so does SimpleScan, after editing /imagescan.conf as per your instructions, ClixTrix, in addition to /epson/epson2.conf. Imagescan recognizes two, and SimpleScan three, versions of my Epson XP-530. Imagescan activates the scanner with a file that appears on my Desktop while scanning, but then disappears when scanning is done, as noted before. SimpleScan now scans and saves the file with the third device, "Epson PID".

I will have to try saving to different folders than Desktop, Clixtrix, but SimpleScan is really all that I need at this Newbie point.

ClisTrix, I am having no problem with SimpleScan in Automatic mode. But I am getting three choices of device: Epson 530 XP-530, Epson XP-530_Series, and Epson PID. And it's "PID" that works... if you want further .conf file setting details, I will be honoured to provide them, of course!
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

The Epson PID is the old open-source backend, "epson2". I've noticed that the most recent Epson all-inone package install does leave that backend installed. If it's not a problem, then leave it alone. If it is a problem with testing, then I have a simple method to remove it so it doesn't load. Epson actually recommends not using it and gives advise on removal if needed. If it ain't broke.... :)

The reason I'd avoid epson2 is the same as any old open-source, generic driver, it may NOT fully support your scanner (all features and functions). I have encountered that problem with other scanners, e.g. I had a scanner from another manufacturer that worked OK with the default backend in Mint, but it did give an odd error in using the scanner's automatic feed. The proprietary backend from the manufacturer fixed that problem.

I've never gone wrong installing Epson's all-in-one package to my own or client systems. FYI....I like Simple Scan too.

Edit: Just to clarify....

Epson 530 XP-530 = Network (and the name reflects what you coded in imagescan.conf)
Epson XP-530_Series = USB
Epson PID is the old epson2 backend designation for the printer

Return to “Printers & Scanners”