Installing Epson WF-7715 printer-scanner

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Installing Epson WF-7715 printer-scanner

Post by AnalogueMan »

Searched on this forum for a step by step help for installing my Epson WF7715DWF but did only find scattered info.
Is somebody on this forum willing to help me out here?
Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Analogue man in a digital world
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Installing Epson WF-7715 printer-scanner

Post by brian_p »

--
Brian.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

I did read that post, downloaded that rpm file and also installed the epsons request for installing lsb first (which I did).
But after trying to install that rpm file:
sudo rpm -i epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.0.30-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm

I got:

warning: epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.0.30-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 8aa65d56: NOKEY
error: Failed dependencies:
/bin/sh is needed by epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.0.30-1lsb3.2.x86_64
lsb >= 3.2 is needed by epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.0.30-1lsb3.2.x86_64

So I got lost here.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Didn't you try the other method? Are you USB connected?
--
Brian.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

brian_p wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:28 pm Didn't you try the other method? Are you USB connected?
Do not understand what you mean with "other method" : trying the printer to be part of a network?
If so, I do not have a network and yes, I have a direct usb connection from the printer to my computer.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

AnalogueMan wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:40 pm
brian_p wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:28 pm Didn't you try the other method? Are you USB connected?
Do not understand what you mean with "other method" : trying the printer to be part of a network?
If so, I do not have a network and yes, I have a direct usb connection from the printer to my computer.
Of course you have a network! Otherwise you could not have posted your previous messages. Your network is connected to the internet. The device you have is broadcasting on that network. All you have to do is connect to it.

As far as USB is concerned: ippusbxd is likely on your computer. Start it with

Code: Select all

ippusbxd 

sudo ippusbxd 
and the printer connected. The printer will now be visible in the printing dialogs of applications.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Either command should work.
--
Brian.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.0.30-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm

That's a problem.

RPM packaging (.rpm) is for Redhat and forks of that distro that use that packaging system. Mint uses Debian (.deb) packaging, as it is a fork of debian/ubuntu.

If you're running a 64-bit version of Mint, I'd recommend.

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.0.30-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

Same for the install of lsb. Use the listed at download command for Ubuntu or you can also find lsb in the Mint Software Manager.

You'll also need the All-in-one package at Epson download for your scanner.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

ClixTrix wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 pm epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2-1.0.30-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm

That's a problem.

RPM packaging (.rpm) is for Redhat and forks of that distro that use that packaging system. Mint uses Debian (.deb) packaging, as it is a fork of debian/ubuntu.

If you're running a 64-bit version of Mint, I'd recommend.

epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.0.30-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb

Same for the install of lsb. Use the listed at download command for Ubuntu or you can also find lsb in the Mint Software Manager.

You'll also need the All-in-one package at Epson download for your scanner.
ClixTrix, I downloaded the .deb file and the All-inn-one package but I am not sure how the exact terminal commands are.
I have already installed lsb.
Can you please write them down please so I can do nothing wrong?
Thanks in advance.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

For the printer.....

Bring up Terminal and if you downloaded the printer package file I recommended to your Downloads folder, then use the following command to install that package. I'd recommend you copy and paste the code from my post to the Terminal window.

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr2_1.0.30-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb
That should pop-up the debian package installer. You can also just locate the file with File Manager (Nemo) and double-click to launch the installer. Either method should do the job.

For the scanner (all-in-one)....

I'm assuming you downloaded the current Mint 19 package from Epson it should be named: imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-19-1.3.40.x64.deb.tar.gz

Locate the downloaded file in Downloads folder from File Manager. That's a zipped package (that's what the .tar.gz means). If you double-click it should pop-up a preview of contents and show an "Extract" at upper left. Do the extract and it should create a new folder in Downloads with the unzipped package.

Now, from Terminal do the following commands one at a time.....I'd recommend you copy and paste the code from my post to the Terminal window.

cd ~/Downloads/imagescan-bundle-linuxmint-19-1.3.40.x64.deb
That should echo back showing you've change directory to that folder (the one containing the extracted package). The following command runs the installer script.

./install.sh
That should start the installer.

If you are using USB, all done. If you are using network for scanning, post back as there is a configuration file that needs customization for your printer's name and IP network address. You'll need to know the printer's network IP address, so post back with that info to help customization.

If you have any errors on either the printer or scanner install, please copy/paste back the results.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

The single step instruction given would have had printing working with the device 24 hours ago. Has the spirit of adventure been suppressed in Mint users or does the ippusbxd command seem a much too easy a way to go? :D

For scanning there are the very good instructions posted by ClixTrix.
--
Brian.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

brian_p wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:18 pm The single step instruction given would have had printing working with the device 24 hours ago. Has the spirit of adventure been suppressed in Mint users or does the ippusbxd command seem a much too easy a way to go? :D

For scanning there are the very good instructions posted by ClixTrix.
Absolutely NOT Brian! Also your suggestions are very appreciated and to show this I will start with your instructions and let the Forum know the results.
Then I will execute the terminal commands Clix Trix wrote to install the scanner because, as I understand it, your instructions does not cover the scanner install?.
Will both let you know as soon as possible.
AM
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

Started with:

analogueman@Alpha-PC ~ $ cd /
analogueman@Alpha-PC / $ ippusbxd
<-789706944>Error: libusb init failed with error: LIBUSB_ERROR_OTHER
analogueman@Alpha-PC / $sudo ippusbxd

gives same error. Has something to do with libusb not the foggiest idea how to init libusb because I noticed libusb-0.1-4; -1.0.0 are installed .
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Thank you for trying. I've no idea either; that command works here. I'll have a think. Meanwhile, you have ClixTrix' method. Which you will need for scanning).
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I'll have a think.
I asked here

https://lists.debian.org/debian-printin ... 00008.html

and will quote the response:
I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 and when I run ippusbxd (with or without
"sudo" does not matter) it works normally. ippusbxd daemonizes and the
"driverless" command lists the printer. cups-browsed sets it up automatically.
I am using Ubuntu Cosmic currently, but it worked also on Bionic and Artful.

The Chrome OS developers tested ippusbxd also on other, non-HP printers
(Canon, but not Epson) and it works for them. They did a lot of contributions.

The problem can either be an incompatibility with the Epson printer or some
library problem in Mint. libusb version on my Ubuntu is 1.0.22 currently (see
below).

Please test also starting libusb with other printers or with no printer at
all. Does the error then occur, too?
I'd suggest a quick test with no printer and consider submitting a bug report at Launchpad.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Further advice from the upstream ippusbxd maintainer:
I also suggest that he tests with another Linux distribution and with his
Epson. So one can see whether it is the printer or the libusb.

And, in the case that he observes the problem, he should run libusb in debug
mode. For this, stop any running ippusbxd

killall ippusbxd

and run it with this command

ippusbxd --debug 2>&1 | tee log.txt

and attach log.txt to the bug report.
--
Brian.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

@Clix Trix

Done!! :D :D

First after the installation had completed Mint did not detect the WF-7715. I had to go to Control Center > Printers and add the printer.
After that everything (=printing and scanning) works fine, what a relief!
Now I have to find my way through that scanning procedure which is not at all simple (my opinion).Have to study the manual.
But again thanks very much for your help!!

@ Brian

Sorry Brian, but after that error message I immediately executed the Clix Trix advise because time was running out where I could return that
printer to the computer shop where I has purchased it and get my money refunded.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Sorry Brian, but after that error message I immediately executed the Clix Trix advise because time was running out where I could return that printer to the computer shop where I has purchased it and get my money refunded.
No problem, AnalogueMan. It was worth a try and, in any case, we now have some sort indication of how one Epson printer behaves with ippusbxd on Mint 19.1. USB problems with printers are not unknown and the information may help somebody else. If we do not test and report, we do not move forward. Thank you for your initiative.
--
Brian.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

brian_p wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:43 am
Sorry Brian, but after that error message I immediately executed the Clix Trix advise because time was running out where I could return that printer to the computer shop where I has purchased it and get my money refunded.
No problem, AnalogueMan. It was worth a try and, in any case, we now have some sort indication of how one Epson printer behaves with ippusbxd on Mint 19.1. USB problems with printers are not unknown and the information may help somebody else. If we do not test and report, we do not move forward. Thank you for your initiative.
Although my O.S. is Mint 18.3 I do not think that this earlier version is the culprit is it?
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

Although my O.S. is Mint 18.3 I do not think that this earlier version is the culprit is it?
I do not know, but probably not.

What I do know is that I owe you an apology for letting my liking for new technology run away with me and offering suboptimal advice to you (and others). You wanted printing and scanning, but (as far as I can tell) scanning becomes unavailable when ippusbxd is used. It was probably a good job it didn't work :D. I shudder to think of the mess I could have got you into.
--
Brian.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”