Cannot change print resolution in Epson WF-7715

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Cannot change print resolution in Epson WF-7715

Post by AnalogueMan »

After, with the invaluable help of member Clix Trix, I managed to install my Epson WF-7715 and playing with the printer settings
I discovered that I could not set my printing resolution higher than 300x300 dpi. Looked also at the settings on the printer itself but
could not discover any clue.
In the attachment the printer setting page after entering Control Setting > Printers.
Any clue?
Screenshot at 2019-02-08 13-58-09.png
I can click on ther drop-down arrow at Print Quality or Printer resolution but there are no other possibilities left.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Analogue man in a digital world
ClixTrix

Re: Cannot change print resolution in Epson WF-7715

Post by ClixTrix »

I have the same standard defaults for my Epson WF-2760 in the Printers setup.

However, it doesn't prevent me from overriding/selecting high quality printing from apps, like Pix.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

ClixTrix wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:27 pm I have the same standard defaults for my Epson WF-2760 in the Printers setup.

However, it doesn't prevent me from overriding/selecting high quality printing from apps, like Pix.
That I do not understand because the printer does still print in 300x300 dpi doesn't it?
Moreover in the specification of my WF-7715 the is the possiblity to print in a much higher resultion:
Printresolution.png
And I may be wrong but that is what I payed for. Now my music scores which I created with MuseScore display jagged lines at some parts of the score.
Especially where slanting lines are in the score. With my old HP7612, I could print those scores with impeccable sharpness.
I have a trial period of this WF-7715 and if I cannot solve this jagged lines problem in time, I will return this printer and again buy a HP one.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I installed MuseScore 3 (the flatpak option) from Software Manager on my test system this morning.

I loaded the "Reunion" and "Fugue #1" samples and used the print to PDF for both.

I then printed the samples from PDF view using default standard print quality and can see what you are seeing with the arches and bridges between notes having a stepping effect due to the default resolution. I then printed the samples from PDF view using Advanced - Print Quality set to HIGH on the print menu. The results is....well...obvious. The problems disappeared (IMO).

As I suggested on my prior post, try setting Print Quality to HIGH in the Print menu on the Advanced tab.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

@Clix Trix :

Thanks for your effort in trying to help me out here. I followed your advice and opened a MuseScore pdf file with the Atril Document Viewer. selected Print but in the Advanced tab I could see "Print Quality". So I do not know which pdf viewer you are using, but you have put me on a track here. I opened krita and imported my pdf score, adjusted in krita it to 600 dpi and started to print the score with the Epson printer.
Now the results are EQUAL to the same score which was printed with my old HP printer! Believe me or not but I find this a tremendous relief!
Will do some more test over here to convince myself if this is really the solution.
Will keep you informed.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I just double-clicked on the stored file from File Manager (Nemo) and that brought up Document Viewer (Xreader). I did File - Print from the menu bar and that produced the Print Menu. The Advanced tab has the selection for Print Quality -> High.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

ClixTrix wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:59 am I just double-clicked on the stored file from File Manager (Nemo) and that brought up Document Viewer (Xreader). I did File - Print from the menu bar and that produced the Print Menu. The Advanced tab has the selection for Print Quality -> High.
Xreader = Atril document viewer so I do not understand why I do not see that Print Quality :?:
EDit : It has something to do with that Epson printer. Although I do not have the HP connected I can still choose it and then there pops up that "Image Quality".
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I just checked Atril in Software Manager. It's marked as "Mate document viewer" (Version 1.20.1-2ubunntu2) and I don't have it installed. I don't run Mate. I have Cinnamon 19.1. I looked at Xreader and it is default installed (Version 2.0.2+tessa) for me as Document Viewer.

So, according to Software Manager, they aren't equal.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

ClixTrix wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:12 am I just checked Atril in Software Manager. It's marked as "Mate document viewer" (Version 1.20.1-2ubunntu2) and I don't have it installed. I don't run Mate. I have Cinnamon 19.1. I looked at Xreader and it is default installed (Version 2.0.2+tessa) for me as Document Viewer.

So, according to Software Manager, they aren't equal.
Yes, I have Mate 18.3 so that explains the difference.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

From my looks at the print problem, it's the application that can adjust/option printing quality, e.g. Xreader and Krita and as mentioned earlier Pix. The High Quality setting simply may adjust to the highest printable resolution of the stored/output of the printing app with consideration of the media used (like glossy photo paper vs. plain paper).

The only time I use High with my Epson is when I'm printing color images or PDF.
AnalogueMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AnalogueMan »

ClixTrix wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:28 am From my looks at the print problem, it's the application that can adjust/option printing quality, e.g. Xreader and Krita and as mentioned earlier Pix. The High Quality setting simply may adjust to the highest printable resolution of the stored/output of the printing app with consideration of the media used (like glossy photo paper vs. plain paper).

The only time I use High with my Epson is when I'm printing color images or PDF.
Sorry ClixTrix for my very late response :oops:
In the meantime I managed to get good printing quality. Thanks for your support.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”