[SOLVED] How install Brother mj315w printer and scanner?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndrzejB
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How install Brother mj315w printer and scanner?

Post by AndrzejB »

I found http://magu.pl/linux/57-instalacja-druk ... ntu-64-bit but not working with Wifi
What i must choose? Samba, lpd? I am newbie in linux nets.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How install Brother mj315w printer and scanner?

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AndrzejB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How install Brother mj315w printer and scanner?

Post by AndrzejB »

Thanks, printer works,
but scanner yet not. How configure scanner? I see only simplescan application
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [printer SOLVED] How install Brother mj315w printer and scanner?

Post by brian_p »

It would greatly help if people who recommend the resource at

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html?m=1

were to enhance their suggestion by pointing out that the scanner advice (section 10) is incorrect. Directing a user to

https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linu ... =on#f00108

would be doing them a favour.
--
Brian.
AndrzejB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AndrzejB »

Very thanks! This all helps.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

brian_p wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 4:46 am It would greatly help if people who recommend the resource at

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html?m=1

were to enhance their suggestion by pointing out that the scanner advice (section 10) is incorrect. Directing a user to

https://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linu ... =on#f00108

would be doing them a favour.
I still have to test it, but the Brother support solution for the scanner does look better than the one on my website. Also, your Linux printing knowledge is very likely greater than mine. So I probably need to revise my how-to.

But just out of curiosity: can you tell me what's wrong with the how-to on my website? Because that's how I got the scanner part of my Brother MFC to work from Mint 18.x onwards.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

I still have to test it, but the Brother support solution for the scanner does look better than the one on my website. Also, your Linux printing knowledge is very likely greater than mine. So I probably need to revise my how-to.
Note that the Brother FAQ answer refers only to brscan, brscan2 and brscan3. AndrzejB does not have an mj315w (it does not exist) but probably a DCP-J315W, which is a brscan3 model. brscan3 puts the backend library files in /usr/lib64/sane and links to them from /usr/lib/sane/ when the packages postinst is run. SANE will not find them because it looks in the architecture-dependent usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane or /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/sane/ locations. There is no fallback to looking elsewhere, AFAICT.

What about brscan4? It too puts the backends in /usr/lib64/sane but the postinst makes links to them in usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sane. so there is no problem there
But just out of curiosity: can you tell me what's wrong with the how-to on my website? Because that's how I got the scanner part of my Brother MFC to work from Mint 18.x onwards.
I cannot speak for what happens on Mint 18.x, but on 19.x the operating system does not expect the library files to be in /usr/lib/sane.

I hope you do not mind if I mention that section 11 has a user doing something that is unnecessary. Permissions on the USB bus are taken care of by systemd; a user needn't be a member of the scanner group nowadays. Fortunately, the advice gives extra work but doesn't do any harm.

Keep up the good support work. :)
--
Brian.
AndrzejB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] How install Brother mj315w printer and scanner?

Post by AndrzejB »

All working! Previously I tested on Laptop where also in Windows scanner not working. Now works printer and scanner.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”